main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I AM MOVING TO LOS ANGELES

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, May 29, 2011.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Am I Ross, Matt LeBlanc, or the cokehead?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You're a Chandler, I'm afraid.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Marcel, surely?

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Who the **** is Marcel?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/friends/images/f/f7/Marcelandross.jpg]
    From left to right: Ross, Marcel

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Uncanny resemblance.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I was thinking something like Three's Company.

:p

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    What SJ said, though it DOES range a bit more than that. I don't know if LA's weather is as bipolar as San Diego's, but in the summer, expect 90s-110s. Spring is usually in the 60s-70s, it doesn't rain THAT much (though we do get our weeks of downpour in the winter), and winter is usually in the 50s, though overnight dropping to the 30s.

Humidity is VERY low - you'll hear "It's a dry heat" from like everyone, and it's true. Though it does get windy, especially Hollywood; The Santa Anas are a cycle of hot wind systems that blow through each year and usually what fuels our wildfires.

So in terms of natural disasters:

Wildfires: Wildfires are actually more of a concern than earthquakes. Wildfire season is usually August-October. We were lucky last year in that we didn't have any major fires, but then we have some years where this much of CA is on fire:

[image=https://www1.nga.mil/About/WhatWeDo/PublishingImages/California_Wildfire.jpg]

Living in Hollywood, you shouldn't be affected minus possibly having to breathe smoke.

Earthquakes: No biggie. Once every few years, we'll get a big shake. Hundreds of earthquakes happen every week and we don't feel any of them. Honestly, unless it's right under you, you won't feel anything under a 4.5/5.0.

Familiarize yourself with http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/. The event of an earthquake, just don't panic. If the shaking gets too bad (or if you have never been in one and are a bit scared - we won't judge, it's probably a really scary thing if you've never gone through one before) then the two safest places to be is either in your doorframe or outside in an open area.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    WHAT HAPPENS IF I LIVE ON THE 14TH FLOOR OF AN APARTMENT BUILDING AND THERE'S AN EARTHQUAKE?!?!?!

10. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
  11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    That's silly.

There are no apartment buildings more than 4 stories in Hollywood.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Oh okay that's good then. I'll just stick to the lower floors until I get used to it.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    though we do get our weeks of downpour in the winter

So I gathered [face_plain].

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I lived in a 14 story apartment building in Park La Brea, though, which is next to Hollywood. There weren't any earthquakes when I was there, but I assume if there were, investing in a hang glider would have been useful.

Eh it only got up into the 90s in LA for about 2 weeks when I lived there, except for during the Malibu fires when it was about 114 in my apartment and we couldn't stay there during the day. Maybe I just don't notice the heat because I'm used to humid heat that feels much worse.

As for the rain... lol, the SoCal version of a downpour is adorable. What they mean is that in the winter for a couple weeks it will lightly rain all day in an annoying fashion. But I have only encountered one actual thunderstorm.

Oh, and I hate Friends, but the cokehead is the only one whom I like from other things. So Evan can be the monkey.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

That half to 1 inch of rain can be tough to handle.:p

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    KW was out here at Disney with us on one of our days of nonstop hard rain. :p

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It was non-stop and definitely dreary. It was not in any way shape or form hard rain. Y'all really need to go to the midwest some spring :p

18. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I had to jog my memory a bit, but that is correct. The day before you guys all went to Disneyland, I went to a Laker game, and it was raining significantly the entire way there (aint nothing like taking a horribly wet umbrella on a bus/subway, then having to put underneath my seat during the game). Wasn't ready for all the moisture for a prolonged trip on public transit. :p

19. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Can we please all go to disneyland though? Like for reals? I have my hopes up now.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I am free and able to go most weekends.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I'm technically available on Friday's or Saturday's for Disneyland, Friday would be the most ideal for me, as I don't have work the next day. Getting to & from there, however, is still an issue. :p

22. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Depends where in the City you live. The coastal areas are basically in the 60's (some 50s) and 70s (some 80s) for most of the year. In August and September you can get some 90 degree weather on the coast. Except for last summer, when it never warmed up on the coast.

The in-land areas (Hollywood, Downtown and the Valley) get warmer (usually 10-15 degrees warmer than on the coast).

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Bump the Fecal Force thread Steve!

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    When the sun's actual out, the coastal areas usually get into the 80s/90s during the summer, but we have that amazing ocean breeze to keep it cool.

When the marine layer is in/it's cloudy, it's usually in the 60s/70s.

And I'm always down for Dland.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have it on good authority from a midwesterner that at one point this winter there was "legit rain" in CA. Also, sj, you were out of state then. :p