I AM MOVING TO LOS ANGELES

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, May 29, 2011.

1. R2-DK Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    figsaysdavenotfullsail hewentthereaskhim

But if you'll be without a car, you're far better off in L.A. than Orlando. While everyone says you have to drive to be in L.A., you really cannot survive in Orlando without a vehicle. Los Angeles has been big for much longer and has actual streets/boulevards, remnants from a time when people walked to their daily needs and wants. The urban form of Orlando is like the typical American "city" outside of the Northeast, Upper Midwest, and Pacific Coast, where shops and businesses tend to be along highways instead of streets and avenues, and with deep setbacks when they are on streets. 95%+ of it was built long after cars were invented/laws against good urbanism put in place, so everything is spread out like crazy and totally unwalkable.

Incase anyone reading this is confused, here's a couple screenshots to demonstrate what I mean.

[image=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4337/laorweb.jpg]

The top is in San Fernando Valley, the bottom is about three miles northeast of Universal Orlando.
  2. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    WAIT WHAT. I literally just turned the DAVE school down yesterday. I wish I'd known earlier, I had questionssss. Full Sail, I read the student reviews of that place and didn't even bother applying.

But that's good to know that I made the right choice, transportation wise. DAVE has dorms down the street from it that I could have lived in, but I remember trying to walk the streets of Orlando at 4am during C5, and it was not pedestrian friendly at all.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Full Sail? You were considering nautical school?
  4. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Yes, it was kind of inevitable growing up where I did. I've been sailing for years with my family, but I wanted to just try a different type of ocean than the NE. Hopefully the LA seas aren't too difficult to manage.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    They're all right, you just have to watch out for the pirate raids. Sometimes they get really nasty.
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

To be fair, 90% of my bus riding is done to & from work here in The Valley, with half the time being around 6-6:20am, where there isn't a lot of traffic on the street in which my bus travels on (different situation in the afternoon). And, SLG, I believe the subway is safe to use late at night.............I've been on it around 11pm before, and have experienced no problems.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]
  7. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Speaking of places to live at around LA, this weekend my wife enjoyed spending time at the beach before we move from the coast to the valley in the next few weeks.
  8. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I have a few friends that take the buses.... like, 3. Actually, one of them I don't think does anymore.... and the other routinely tweets about how horrible it is. But they're manageable on some level, if you're never going far.
  9. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

Which part of The Valley?

10. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
    If I weren't moving into South Central, I would move live in Santa Monica. Not a bad place to live at all.
  11. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Santa Monica was good enough for Whitey Bulger.

12. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Santa Monica is nice. I'd prefer Marina Del Rey, but hey.

13. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Also, Darth_Guy.
  14. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    *shudder* The worst of it all.
  15. PRENNTACULAR VIP

star 6
  16. R2-DK Jedi Grand Master

star 2
  17. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    So can't imagine living in Santa Monica. It's a nice place to go to occasionally for movies, but I don't think I could stand having to be in Santa Monica between the hours of, like, 7 am and 7 pm on a daily basis.
  18. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    When I discovered that riding the subway was faster than driving my car and sitting in traffic, I started doing that and loved it. I'd park the car and walk, get some exercise. I think I lost 5 pounds when I started doing that on a consistent basis. Except for when I worked in Beverly Hills, there are no subway stations there for purposes on quality control and keeping out rift-raft. Only buses went into BH. And I would work late doing screenings anyway so I had to drive.
  19. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    My two biggest problems with L.A. are the transportation and the weather. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority but I have ALWAYS hated the hot, sunny weather in L.A., and always loved the weather I've experienced in Chicago and the Northeast in winter (yeah, I'm crazy, but I just have a high tolerance for cold and a really low one for heat...). The other problem I have, with public transportation, is more relatable. I can't drive and will likely never be able to because of eye problems, so I'm stuck using the buses and subways to go everywhere. The buses at least are often late and spread too thin. It doesn't matter if you have a bus line going down nearly every street if they only show up once every 40-60 minutes and stop running at 9. My general rule of thumb is if a bus/subway is designated with a color (Orange, Red, Blue etc.) it's probably moe reliable than one that is numbered. The colored lines run later and show up more frequently, and between the five or six of them out there you can travel to a decent amount of places just using them. The trouble is when you have to deviate from their paths. I'd also recommend getting a bike. I finally got one after I moved in February and coupled with the new Van Nuys location it's increased my mobility a great deal to where I want to go. Oh, and on the subways: from what I've experienced they seem fine at night. I've ridden on them at 12:30 before without any issues. Once again colored lines run later than numbered ones for the most part, so depending on your location it may be tricky when you get out of class. Go to the metro.net website for LA and look through all of the lines in your area and plan ahead of time what your routes will be to go to places, especially if you haven't been to them before.

The cost of living here is horrendous, just like the rest of SoCal, and really the only places worse than it are NYC and Boston (from what I understand and maybe Chicago (not certain). You're coming from Boston so at least you've got a slight price drop going for you from what I know. Also, if I can make a housing suggestion that nobody else has put out there I moved into a room in a regular house, with access to kitchen/bathroom/other central areas. It and other ones I saw were roughly on par with 1 bedroom apartments (and my room specifically was slightly cheaper). It wouldn't surprise me either if most people in houses, even if they're renting rooms, are slightly older and more mature (no annoying frat boy mentalities). At least it's the way it was with the places I looked at and in the place I live in. Really as long as you set boundaries and rules it shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully some of this information helped. Maybe we can get some other L.A. JCCers and hang out sometime. That includes you, Prenn!:)
  20. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Yeah I considered getting a room in a someone's house, but I decided against it. I made a list of the pros/cons to getting a roommate/renting a room from someone's house vs. getting a crappy studio by myself, and the studio only had one con while the the other one had a whole list. Not only that, but the price difference per month is only going to be about 100.
  21. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The funniest thing about the Orange Line is that the buses that are used for it are painted silver.

22. MrZAP Force Ghost

star 5
    Orange stripes, Tunick! Orange stripes!:p
  23. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    Me & Prenn are planning some sort of hangout for next Saturday............anyone else want to join?

:p

24. MasterDillon Jedi Master

star 2
    Have fun in Los Angeles mind the traffic though.
  25. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7

I will not be there for another 2 weeks. :(