main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Am Retiring My Dice

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Fingorfin, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I have been using the same set of dice for almost 10 years. They have been good to me, but the d6s are starting to chip and crack; I fear that they may be near the end of their life, so I have decided that they shall be not be used again after my current campaign is finished. And because it is just not proper to break this set, all of the dice will be enshrined, including the d20, which has been the bane of many PCs. Does anyone know of some sort of case that will hold 2d4, 6d6, 2d8, 2d10, 1d12, and 1d20, or will I have to customize something?

2. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I've never seen an actual dice-holding box, but there is probably alot of things to use. Try a plastic case for Card Game decks. Or, if you don't need to see them all the time, a long necklace case, though you may need to take out the piece of cardboard to make the dice fit, but you can take a strip of felt and make a nice bottom for it.

3. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    Fin why the @&#$ didn't you tell us this at the game last week! Wow is all I have to say and people he's not kidding on them being a bane to PC's

Once they had Eighteen Crits in one night! Those are some scary dice!! We all fear and respect the power of these black dice.

4. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Try a container that is used for fishing lures. That seems to be spaced correctly for dice.

5. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Now you wil have to go and search the world for a new set of dice that will serve you just as well. CUrrently I have a mismatch of 3 sets and still aren't completely satisfied, but I think I have atleast found my d20.

6. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    I've noticed that when I'm playing my dice roll average, but when I run a game they seem to be possessed with the Dark Side or something.

I remember running a WEG game years ago and a character had something like 9d in his blaster skill and got 2 or 3 sixes in a row on the wild die and was pretty smug with an overall roll of about 50 to strike some Imperial Army Trooper. So, I throw his pathetic 4d to dodge and commence to get a run on sixes with the wild die, I ended up rolling 15 sixes in a row and just demolished his hopes of hitting this supposed "cannon fodder". It was unreal (not to mention whenever he started to brag about how good his character was I would bring this up to quickly humble him... hehe)

7. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I know exactly what you mean.

I like the fishing tackle box idea; I will have to look into it.

Yes, I will now have to go on a quest form a new set that will serve me as faithfully as these have. Hopefully I can find some at GenCon.

8. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I miss the weg 6 rule. I had one game where I couldn't roll to hit the broad side of a barn but I could have been hit by the death stars superlaser and still only be stunned.

9. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    Nice one BoB.

Fingorfin, you go to GenCon?

10. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    This year will be my first. Looking forward to it.

11. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Feb 21, 2001
    This year will be my first that'll I miss since I started going. It was a blast. My advise is to see as much as possible and play as many games as you can. But don't miss the costume contest.

12. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I was not aware that there was a costume contest. If it is anything like the A-Kon consume contest, then I will definitely be there. :D

13. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Well, the best campaign I have ever run is over, and the dice have been retired; this was also probably the last time I will ever need to use the first edition d20 book. So many things put to rest tonight. Time to enshrine the dice and find a new set.

14. Jandor_Tarvin

Jandor_Tarvin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Fingorfin,

I have seen you out and about on these boards, helping out the new players, and the GMs alike with your wisdom.

I find myself in something of a quandry. I relish the prospect of gaming once more, or even GMing a Star Wars campaign, but sadly I find myself at a loss for an original idea.

Please, have pity on this old GM (almost 16 years of GMing under my belt) and throw an idea or two to me.... I require new fresh input.

Also, about those dice of yours...

Retired dice are like retired military officers. They never fully retire. Keep them handy, and every now and then, bring them back for a game session when you feel that your campaign or adventure needs a touch more spark... they'll still have that old magic in them. ;)

Jandor

15. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Hey, Figorfin, is there any way you can post a photo of your retired dice along with your custom dice case?

16. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    I will see what I can do about that.

Jandor_Tarvin, every GM has times when he feels like he is out of ideas. When I get to feeling like that, I just run a basic plot (i.e. rescue the Bothan spy) and let the actions of my players inspire me. They will always end up doing something that could have potential consequences that can be dealt with in future games. Another good idea is to adapt campaigns that have been used in other games. I once used one of my RIFTS stories in a Star Wars game, and the players that had played in that RIFTS game did not even recognize it. Check some of the threads in this forum dealing with campaign ideas and see if any of those are interesting to you.

I may bring the dice out for special occasions. In fact, my players already have a pool on how long I can go without using them.

17. Jandor_Tarvin

Jandor_Tarvin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    Fingorfin

Thanks for the tip.

Oh, and I give you about 38 days before you pick up the old dice again. So.. my bet is 10th August. =]

18. TallienGolle

TallienGolle Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2001
    Hehe, I think I have an idea of which game that was now... the idea never crossed my mind before, though.
    That night also marked the retirement of Tallien Golle, Sith Lord of the Bandu. She was my favorite character. Out of all the characters I have played & in any other game, none were so deep. Not many other players in the game could see her inner demons, but that wasn't necessary... hell, even GM was in the dark for most of the campaign!
    Wow, time to make another character... I wonder what he'll be like?

PS: Ya know, there's some dice I should retire too, but it's only because every time I've relied on them, one of my notable NPC's gets whacked... They're not getting the shrine, they're getting the hammer! [face_devil] LOL!

19. Lego_Palpatine

Lego_Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    Y'know, you never DID tell us what happened to the forces we sent to ensiege Osis(Ossus?).

-K

20. bluephoenix

bluephoenix Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2001
    According to Fingorfin, the seige that hit Ossus trashed much of the planet and made the Jedi flee. Around that time the Jedi had their "dark Ages" where they were seperated from each other, scattered throughout the galaxy. That's what we caused... *hehe* [face_devil]

~Time~ is one my side, yes it is!

21. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Oh man, I thought this was going to be about you switching to diceless role-playing. Oh well.

What is it about certain sets of dice anyway? It's almost as if certain sets have "special powers" or something.

22. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Everyone has that special set of dice that just screams "I AM AN EXTENSION OF MY MASTERS WILL!" For me it's my pewter T-800 dice. Ok, so the Terminator wasn't made of pewter, but I'm not going to shell out the cash needed to make them out of something more potent. Even with a heavy discount because of where I work, it's still not cheap. Damn, I'm defending the insecurities of my dice, I need a girlfriend! For my players, some mix and match until they find a daily special that says "I will not fail at the dramatically appropriate moment!" Others still have the die that says, and I quote "Even with the GM glaring unmercifully at me, I shall not roll less than 5 on any vitally important roll, especially damage!" Retiring a set isn't easy. I've reluctantly retired sets that have had individual dice swiped by the Dice Troll under my bed. The bum ruined many a good set.
    I'd say get a nice little mini display thingy and keep it in arms reach during games. Put a sign next to it that says, In case of GM emergency, break glass and players will. The lingering threat of uber dice must always be present. Ok, end of rant.

Yay! This is my 100th post! Go me!

23. Fingorfin

Nov 7, 2001
    Damn, I'm defending the insecurities of my dice, I need a girlfriend!

[face_laugh] I know what you mean.

24. Sian

Sian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    C'mon Tremaniac, do you actually know the model of your dice is called?! I'm stunned (DC 45). :eek:

25. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Actually, it's a pewter metal set. I call them the T-800 dice because they are Terminators. Well, the get the rolls when they count anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.