main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I AM SO MAD !!! GRRRR !!!! (DarkJourney)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Agonizer_181, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yes, it all has to do with the manner in which you criticize others. There is a difference between a controlled rant and one that exhibits total disregard for the terms of service, among other things. You can't blatantly ignore the rules and flame authors and other posters and expect to be treated nicely for it. When I was a newbie (I'm still sort of "new") I had to learn this, and I learned it fairly quick.

Personally, I think the only thing that Agonizer did wrong was swear. We're all allowed to have our own opinions on this matter. As long as you can communicate in a non-offensive way that you don't like Elaine Cunningham's style of writing, that she failed miserably to write action and the whole thing turned out like a cheezy soap-opera, and that your five year old brother could write better material then I'm sure more respect would be directed your way. People may not agree with you, which they are certainly allowed to do, but they won't be as rude to you as they would if you flamed them. I guess that any post you make where certain strong emotions are present, such as anger at a certain book or character, has the potential to turn into a flame fest. Detachment is the key because not everybody is going to agree with your point of view.

Ok, that was just my rant about posting! :D Sorry it took so long! :)

Jae Angel

2. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Now let me ask you something, what use is a literature forum that never criticizes authors?

I don't think Commander Antilles meant to say that criticizing authors is a bad idea. Authors are politely criticized daily here. Take Tim Zahn for example, he has plenty of critics, and those critics aren't shy about their opinions. Yet, most of those critics are highly respected members here. Why? Because they don't go around saying "Tmi Zhan = teh SUCK."

CA edited Agonizer's posts, removing the inflammatory statements, which included a lot of swearing and telling one member to remove his tounge from from a certain "bodily orifice" of another member. He certainly deserved what he got, more so really. I'd say the lit. forum showed a lot of restraint by not openly flaming him.

If you can be polite and reasonable with your criticism, you will be treated fine. Being completely without tact, subtlety, or reason will not result in good things.

3. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    thanks for taking care of the mess, CA. Punk got lucky I wasn't around. I really really like Elaine for obvious and not so obvious reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.