Hi I am the Mean Big Sister, who lost the Star Wars battle...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by TheStarWarsMom, Sep 10, 2013.

Moderators: Skiara
  1. TheStarWarsMom Jedi Padawan

How is that for an introduction?

Truth be told, in the '70s...I did not like Star Wars and felt it was torture when my younger brother was always begging me to play "Star Wars" with him and his huge collection of Kenner Star Wars figures. He always chose to be Luke Skywalker and would make me be Darth Vader. In my version of the game, Darth Vader would kill Luke and dance around joyfully and my younger brother would be so frustrated and upset with me. I would just laugh and hope that would teach him not to bother me with such nonsense.

I would go see all the movies with my family and would silently think to myself it was my personal torture for having a younger brother.

Fast forward...over 24 years ago I gave birth to my first son. My first of six children. And my brother persuaded every one of my children to become star wars fanatics. I lost the battle when my oldest was about two years old.

I was forced to sit with my kids and watch Star Wars movies again, play Star Wars, and throw Star Wars party. My younger brother got even with me for killing his Luke Skywalker...my children turned me into a Star Wars fan.

And now for free I help other parents of Star Wars fans to put together great parties, use Star Wars to educate, etc. Why? Maybe because I am pretty sure I am in purgatory trying to pay the price to get moved into the Star Wars Universe! ;)

Looking forward to reading the boards, Giulianna :)
  2. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4
    Great intro story, SW Mom...welcome to the boards!
    TheStarWarsMom likes this.
  3. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Welcome TheStarWarsMom! :)

That's really a unique story! :D And it reads like a well written story. So have you thought about making it a FanFic? It would be a fantastic and very funny one. You should do that! :D

In case you consider it, the FanFic board has various helpful threads and the regulars there will help you for sure. :)

Enjoy your stay and check out your local FanForce to meet other fans from your area. :)
  4. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    Welcome to the Forum, TheStarWarsMom!

I echo my fellow posters, a great intro and very unique! I'm glad Star Wars has pretty much taken over your life! :p

I am sure you'll find solace here with us lot and there's plenty to get involved in, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

See you around the threads!

[IMG]
  5. TheStarWarsMom Jedi Padawan

Thank you, Pensivia, Skiara, and Jedi General Gelderd for your warm welcomes.
    I am glad y'all can forgive me for not being a die-hard SW fan from the first time I saw the movies, as a youngster. I know most SW fans have been die-hard from the first time they set eyes on a movie.

But then again, I was the type of kid who also could not build anything but flimsy stairs out of legos. And now my kids are legomaniacs too. Funny, how all the things I abhorred as a kid have become the favorite things of my children and I have joined in and learned to love it too. :)

Hmm, I have never considered writing fan fiction. I will ponder that idea and check out the boards regarding it.

These boards have already enlightened me. My kids are the ones who have taught me the differences between all the troopers. Funny how they can easily memorize every SW character, but hate learning math facts! ;)

I knew most of the characters from the original trilogy, thanks to my younger brother's action figures, but apparently there were MORE and it is of the utmost importance that I get it right when they drill me! :p
    Pensivia and Darth Gangrenous like this.
  6. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    great story intro and welcome to the boards :)

any questions please feel free to ask :)
  7. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Don't worry. Not all of us are die hard fans. Lots of us simply enjoy the movies and like to talk about it. So you'll find your place to stay here. :)

And link us if you make your story above a FanFic. I'd be interested to read it. :)
  8. Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  9. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    Star Wars moms rule! :p Welcome. I'm also raising another generation of Star Wars fans. They are not as devoted as me though. They watch the movies and do the lego video games and have the lego toys, but haven't gotten into the books yet. I write fanfiction and although the kids don't read my stuff they always ask me what is happening in my stories (they are too lazy to read).

Welcome to the boards!
  10. TheStarWarsMom Jedi Padawan

I do have a question. I don't want to break rules on this forum, but over on my blog and facebook page, we have giveaways from time to time of Star Wars goodies. Am I allowed to share those here and if so, in which manner? Do I post it in a thread or do I put it in my signature, etc? Such as in the past we have given away, hasbro coupons for figures, Star Wars books, etc. Currently we have a Star Wars cookie cutter giveaway that ends soon. Then we have a Lego Star Wars giveaway coming up next. I'd much prefer a real fan to win! :) Thanks for your help. xoxox
    TrakNar likes this.
  11. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    I think putting your blog in your sig and announcing the giveaways there would work fine. As far as I know, promoting offsite promotions, unless they're centric to Sideshow or Gentle Giant and are promoted in their appropriate threads, are generally frowned upon.

But, one's sig is free advertising!
  12. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    Basically, what TrakNar said.

I totally understand your wish to support a real SW fan winning, but advertising and promotion isn't allowed at these boards. So the best way to go is adding it to your sig. That's the place where it's fine to post a link to another website - or blog in your case. The more you post, the more people read it. :)

Edit: It's cool that you asked first! Best way to avoid misunderstandings. :)
    Last edited by Skiara, Oct 5, 2013
  13. TheStarWarsMom Jedi Padawan

Thank you so much TrakNar and Skiara! I used to moderate forums years ago, for a long time, so I know not to just "do what I want" and then whine after I get in trouble. ;) And I understand why rules are necessary to keep everything running smoothly. Respect goes a long ways in forums. :)

I greatly appreciate your help. I know some forums have rules about not linking to your blog/site until after you have been a member for X amount of time or so many posts. I had read the rules, but wanted to be clear on it.

One just ended at midnight, but I will have a Lego Star Wars giveaway starting up soon and it will be cool to share it with more Star Wars fans!!!

Again, thank you! xoxox
    Skiara likes this.
  14. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    You're right about respect and I'm glad that we have the same view on this. :)

You're welcome! :)
Moderators: Skiara