1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Force Friday - 4th September, visit this thread for more details.

Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

Oceania I Became a Powderfinger Fan

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by wedge3210, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Holy crap" some of you will say. Sil used to have big wraps on them when I first talked to her years ago (it seems), but I said their songs sounded basically the same. I guess I still think that a bit actually. But I have become a fan of it.

"Waiting For the Sun" probably got me going. I grabbed 'Odyssey' and listen to it as much as my beloved Metallica CDs. Quite an effort on their part. Of course I grabbed their other 3 albums quick and even tracked down an 'Internationalist' Tour Edition with Live tracks! Holy crap. I've started collecting their singles now and everything too.

Then, they came here. They played the old Workers club and it wasn't the worst concert I've been too. It was a tad up and down, but all in all a decent show.

I don't even know why I'm starting this, I'm trying to kick up a discussion on them and try to get my hands on some other B-Sides or something.

On an unrelated subject, who's going to the Big Day Out next year? Silverchair, Alien Ant Farm, System of a Down, Filter and the Foo Fighters are rumoured. As soon as they're confirmed I'll be in there like a mosh pit victim. I've also been roped into seeing Jamiroquai around the same time.

Holy Crap!!!
  2. kahli Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Too old for big day out, sadly. But thats mostly cos I got sconed by a lemon (an actual lemon, the citrus kind) the last time I went to a festival. So old, in fact, I remember when powderfinger were regulars at the Vic in sunny downtown brisvegas!

Although, have to admit, not much of a fan of the finger live (now, anyway). Too much like the CD. On the other hand, love the CDs.
  3. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    Powderfinger are pretty shocking live. But Gerling are another story! :D

I'm hanging out for BDO as well. Prodigy should be AWESOME!
  4. soneil Jedi Master

star 4
    I used to like Prodigy. That is until they decided to say we're not really a rave band so screw the ravers who made us famous. I'll stick with their old stuff.
  5. Jedi_Lisha Jedi Knight

star 1
    Good stuff man! The Finger rules. they're one of my favourite bands along with Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, and 3 Doors Down (plus a lot more).

I've liked them since the beginning. Have you heard Parables for Wooden Ears yet tho? It's fairly poor.
  6. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah, it's alright. But compared to other stuff....

I don't like Coldplay or Linkin Park at all. Foo Fighters, yeah. I'm really looking forward to Filter though. I wasn't much of a fan last time they were here, so I missed them. But they'll be touring with another album and it's going to be a winner.
  7. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    With Linkin Park, their album had possibly two songs that were above average, and of course they haven't released either of them yet.

The prodigy is gonna rock, if thye can get another band to back up the boiler room (presume thats where they are playing) like underworld then that would rock

As for System of a down, I hadn't heard much music until my freinds lent me some cd he's got, they are very good

And of course silverchair touring after 2 year hiatus, bonus
  8. The_Poison_Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    Wedge, you ever heard Jeff Buckley? you prolly wouldn't like him, but he's an amazing guitarist, and has a great voice.

I'm liking the revival of grunge in music now. it had died for a long time, but it's coming back better now. :)
  9. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah I've heard of him and he is a decent guitarist. I guess I just haven't gotten into his stuff though. Not my thing.

Grunge is reviving slowly, but it seems to have changed to the new Silverchair style of thing. Even the Foo Fighters could be that sorta 'grunge' nowadays.

I'll stick to the heavier stuff. :)

Download "It's Gonna Kill Me" by Filter if you get the time.
  10. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I prefer the song they did for the spawn soundtrack with the crystal method, more my style, but that song does rock
  11. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    (Can't You) Trip Like I Do?

They're the kings of soundtracks at the moment. "Take A Picture" is gonna be on everything for years to come. Add, X-Files, 3000 Miles to Graceland and they're really hot!
  12. Already-Turned Jedi Knight

star 3
    Love the finger!

Been a fan since I a mate got Internationalist, and for once all expectations were met by Odyssey #5.

Haven't seen em live yet, but my lil sis did the other night and said they were pretty tops....

Fave song is These Days, kinda reminds me of my life!
  13. The_Poison_Monkey Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, considering that Oddysey has beeen on the top 10 album charts basically since it came out.
  14. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Does anybody here want to get rid of their Powderfinger singles? I'm talking pre-Odyssey only. But could be interested in the Odyssey's. PM me and we'll work something out.
  15. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No biters? Well I'll also be interested in any Metallica singles (that I need) or Silverchair singles (that I'd need).
  16. epic Ex Mod

star 7
    Pitty The Foo was just a rumour at the BDO. They rawk. Filter, too.

And yeh, Powderfinger rule.
  17. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    New Filter album out soon. foofighters.com has their latest song. 'The One'. Haven't had a chance to get it yet though.
  18. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I got the MP3 off Morpheous this morning and it's not too bad. It's a cross between their "I'll Stick Around" sorta style and the Beatles! Yeah I know. You have to hear it though.

:)
  19. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I went to Homebake yesterday. It was really pathetic. I don't like hanging around those Triple J types for very long, but a whole day was almost too much. They bagged out the Hoodoos all day long, but the problem was they were the best thing there.

Superjesus was the only group to actually impress me at all. 28 Days have a couple of alright songs, but their sound was awful. I was dragged to see Paul Mac and I gotta say that was probably the lowlight.

Add to that a $6 program and a bunch of naked hippies telling me to vote green, and you've got yourself one ordinary day out. But the tickets were free, so I won't whinge too much.

:)
  20. opium Jedi Master

star 4
    "those Tripple J types"? then why go? u know they're the ppl the show is for.

i like powderfinger enough to buy they're album, but whoever said it was right, they're nothin' special live. i'm hanging out for BDO acshully, but i think i'm STILL all moshed out from the last one.
  21. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Free ticket and I had to travel to Sydney that day. So it's a bit hard to avoid it. I wouldn't have gone if I didn't have to.
  22. Darth_Tool Jedi Youngling

star 1
  23. wedge3210 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. Darth_Tool Jedi Youngling

star 1
  25. Messiah Jedi Padawan

Does anyone here listen to Rage Against The Machine? Are they any good?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.