I believe Artoo is like a guardian angel.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Vaan_Karrde, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaan_Karrde Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I didn't like how C-3PO was present throughout the prequel trilogy, it seemed pointless to me making Anakin his maker and be with Padme the entire time, only to have his mind wiped and in the old trilogy have him end up with Lars twice and in the possesion of both Skywalkers (although Threepio is in Han and Leias presence 90% of the time).

R2-D2 on the other hand I never complained about, it was fitting for him to be in the prequels. To me Artoo is much more than your average astromech droid, he's more like a "guardian angel" of the Skywalker family, and eventually the Solo family as well. He aided Anakin before he fell and then became Luke's droid. All the while this unusually intelligent and rebellious droid is very capable and seems to make the right decision everytime, always having a trick or a trump card in his metal casing.

R2-D2 never has his memory wiped, so he remembers everything from Episode I-VI, which I think is the most important factor in my "guardian angel" claim, and is also important for Luke and Leia to finally learn about their mother and father, deep within Artoo's computer core.
  2. AzulSaber Jedi Youngling

star 2
    You know, I think this term might fit Artoo perfectly.

I've always admired the little droid as one of those side characters that is widely underappreciated.

What you've stated is true and something I've pondered over for awhile. Where would the galaxy be without him?

Nice description and observations.
  3. TC-47 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Artoo is one of my favourite characters, most of all in the old movie, has is allways their for the skywalker family; through coinsidence or intention.
  4. Darth_Foo Jedi Master

star 4
    all the heros would've died way back in epI if it wasn't for r2.
  5. LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling

star 4
    R2-D2 has saved the Skywalker family more times than Yoda can jump around the Emperor. In every single movie R2-D2 has saved the main characters at least once. No other astromech droid in Star Wars history can compete with R2-D2.

6. Alpha-Red Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Don't forget how he owned those two Super Battle Droids =P
  7. DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master

star 2
    The thought occurred to me recently that c3po and r2d2 are a kind of metaphor for Anakin and Padme. The one was built by Anakin on Tatooine and the other brought by Padme from Naboo. Once 'introduced' to each other, they also became a 'couple' thruout the whole saga.
  8. Darth_Mongoulus Jedi Youngling

star 1
    C-3PO:"Oh. R2-D2. That's such a sexy name!"

EDIT: Please don't ban me, mods.[face_praying]

On topic, i guess R2 is sorta like a gaurdian angel. He's always saving the heroes when only he can. Oh, and he flies, too.

OW506 EDIT: Sexual Innuendo
  9. PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So, in TPM, when Anakin asks, "Are you an angel?", he is actually asking R2? And here, all along, I thought angels were from the moons of Iego.
  10. Commander_Bly05 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I don't think it was pointless to make Anakin as 3PO's maker to end up with Shmi and the Lars twice ... I think this gives more spice to that scene where Owen purchases the droids, and meaning to Qui Gon's word: Our meeting was not a coincidence ...

If those two droids wouldn't have stopped there, how long would the two Jedi have been waiting to make their move ...???
  11. Liesl Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, Artoo is always there when the time is right to save the heroes. I also think of him as something of an heirloom - Padme, Anakin, Leia, and Luke owned him at one point or another.
  12. Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan

star 4
    For what it's worth, I think your observations on R2-D2's role as "guardian angel" of the Star Wars Saga are pretty much right on the money.
    However, I have a few thoughts of my own on the subject of Threepio. I recently created a thread of my own, entitled C-3PO, Son of Skywalker. You might want to click on this thread, Vaan_Karrde, and then let me know what you think about Threepio's presence in the prequels.
  13. Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I also think that, while it's fair to call Artoo a "guardian angel," I prefer to think of him more as "Fate's instrument."
    It's quite amusing to think that among all these powerful beings and Force-users and senators, the fate of the galaxy so often rests in the hands of this squat little machine! Just one turn or twist of his mechanical arm or repair claw can make all the difference for the fate of an entire universe!
  14. KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I look at Artoo as a cross between a guardian angel and a faithful dog, like Lassie. He's always at the hero's side, always ready to defend his charges.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.