main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I Believed : Leia Vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Puggy, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I Believed
    by Puggy
    Post-ROTJ Au Vignette

Author's Note:
    Another sorry attempt at a Leia fic. I had been wanting to write this for a LONG time, and finally, I did. Just to tell you, Leia's character is definitely not my forte, so I've been trying to practice. I really have trouble describing her emotions, because she doesn't readily and easily admit them...

Well, this is angsty, but I don't think it's really sad to the point where you'd call it a tearjerker, although it might have it's depressing moments here and there... And, sorry if her speech in the middle of this all is really just a bunch of randomness. I thought it somewhat was, but I was kinda fond of some parts, so I left it as is...

Keep in mind that it is EU AU!! I mention things that are important in the EU, which isn't mean to confuse you. I guess I'll set up a few things, though: Han and Leia have been married for, oh, a year or so; the New Republic is developing; the Hapes negotiation consisted of the Hapans asking to be allies of the New Republic, and that was that (no Isolder nonsense!); Zsinj is the current "bully of the block." These tidbits don't necessarily play "big parts," but if you know this, it might be easier to understand.

I'm not really pleased with this. I'm not exactly why... I think it's because it's from Leia's POV, and I really can't write as her (I'm trying!). I think it's also really "jumpy": but thoughts can be that way. Blaaah... I hate being my own biggest critic! LOL.

When I use Gods, I'm referring to the Alderaani ones. Religion seems to be a bit of an open-topic in the GFFA, although I do consider the Force a religion: "ancient weapons and hokey religions ain't no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." I would think that on Alderaan, Leia would have probably been brought up as a believer in (or, at the very least, taught about) the Alderaani religion, which, I'm going to assume, for this fic's sake, was polytheistic.

So, without further ado (I leave the world's longest AN's), here goes...

- - -

I presented my first speech at age eight and a half, for an oratory course in which I was tutored. I have most likely given over one hundred speeches since then, but nothing compared to this. There is no true way to prepare for tonight's presentation, nor is there any guideline dictating what my speech is to include.

The datapad's word document is blank. I have thought for hours as to what words I could use, but each and every one of them seems inadequate for tonight. In reality, there are no words, in any language--be it Alderaani, Basic, Corellian, Tatooin--that could properly express how I feel.

I honestly (foolishly) thought I had won. The war between the Rebel Alliance and the Empire has long since been over; it has been three years since the Battle of Endor. After that, the struggling New Republic began to take form, while the generals and soldiers continued to defeat the remnants of the Empire.

This is the case with General Han Solo of the New Republic.

He believed in his cause; I know he did. He wouldn't have left Coruscant, had he not felt it right. He knew, deep down, that the people of Hapes needed his help. A powerful warlord, Zinsj, brought havoc upon the sixty-three worlds of the Hapes Cluster, and the New Republic immediately sent aid to its ally. That aid included General Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon, hero of the Rebel Alliance, and husband to me, Princess Leia Organa Solo.

Many lives were lost that day; few bodies were recovered. As soon as the accident involving a large, as-of-yet unidentified ship had been reported, I assumed the worst. My fears were confirmed moments later, when General Wedge Antilles called in, telling us the Millennium Falcon had gone down in, "a blaze of glory." Chewbacca had, at once, demanded he be allowed to go and search for his captain, since he had not been allowed to go on the actual mission. Han had requested Chewie stay on Coruscant, by my side, while I battle

2. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    that was a good story, u had leia written pretty well there, i thought it was really good, poor leia though

3. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

Oh God I can't stop crying Han a gift from the Gods I can believe that. This is soooo good, and so sad, betraying Leia as this fine orater and then having nothing to say but just to speak from her heart?
    I love this fic basically

4. Solo_Skywalker

Solo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2003
    Puggy, how can you say you don't know how to write Leia, you completely blew me away... That was soooooo sad, poor Leia, awwww... sometimes sad stories really depress you (funny that). Great Han and Leia writing, your fanfics are always great to read. :( :_|

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Puggy- I found this and had to get offline right afterwards, so I just reread it- and am just as stunned as I was originally. It was wonderful. Fantastic.

I'm awed, Puggy, and very jealous... I wish I could write for H/L (and you say you can't write Leia!). Leia spoke from the heart- how horrible, to have to think up your husband's eulogy.

*thinks back* Wait a minute- *narrows eyes* It was you who wrote the one about Leia dying, wasn't it? Why are you so good at this whole funeral thing?

Right... I think I should stop writing and maybe resume this later, when I can string together coherent sentences.

6. SithTahiri

SithTahiri Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    This is so sad. But GREAT.

7. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    This is wonderful!
    I was truly touched.... now if only I can stop crying..... and a wonderful characterization of Leia, BTW.....

8. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    forceaddict: Thanks tons! Yeah, even I felt sorry for Leia, thinking about her if she had to live without Han...

Hananiah: Thank you! I don't know where the whole thing about the Gods come from, but I'm glad you thought it was sweet! :)

Solo_Skywalker: LOL I seriously cannot write Leia... She's so frustrating. Anyway, thank you for the compliments :)

Sunshine: *Giggles* You're too kind! And, yeah, I wrote about Leia dying in "The Best of Us" back in like... January or something crazy like that. I think it was the first thing I ever posted on the JCF. As for the whole funeral thing, after I wrote "The Best of Us," I really wanted to write one the other way around, but I had hardly any practice with Leia, and I also had NO idea how to kill off Han, LOL.

SithTahiri: Why, thank you! I have a thing for writing depressing stories.

Rogue_Granger: Aww, I hate when I make people cry! Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you think I got Leia down well enough!

Thanks again, you all! I feel a little bit more comfortable with my characterization of Leia, hehe.

9. Jedi_E_Solo

Jedi_E_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 8, 2002
    Wow. All I can say is wow.

This is truly one of the most wonderful vigs I've ever read. It brought me to tears. I apploud you, Puggy.

10. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    Waaaah! Fantastic fic, Puggy. Can't wait to see more from you. You've got a great talent for getting into Leia's head. And the eulogy... stunning. The amount of times I've read a supposed 'fantasic' speech of Leia's that brings the Senate into unanimous applause and it's been the most half-assed speech ever... *shakes head*.

11. Kirana

Kirana Jedi Master star 2

Nov 13, 1999
    Waaaah! Fantastic fic, Puggy. Can't wait to see more from you. You've got a great talent for getting into Leia's head. And the eulogy... stunning. The amount of times I've read a supposed 'fantasic' speech of Leia's that brings the Senate into unanimous applause and it's been the most half-assed speech ever... *shakes head*.

12. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    *speechless, breathless, not tearless*

Oh Puggy--that was one of the saddest, touching, most beautifully written viggies I have ever read. Sooo well done--not too angsty, but not too happy, so bittersweet, especially the whole reference to the "I know" phrase. :)

"When I was younger, I used to cry out into the heavens, 'Why me?' Now, though, I realize I had been asking the wrong question all along. So, tonight, I ask you, I ask the Gods, and I ask myself, 'Why Han?'"

This line really stuck out at me--how it was inferred that she was thinking so much about herself, and now, she's only thinking about Han. Very sweet! :_|

"Twins, Han," I say aloud, hoping that somewhere, he will be able to listen. "You hear that? Two more Solo's running around and wreaking havoc upon the galaxy. The only difference is, they'll have lightsabers..."

Aww... :) There are so many little funny, sweet moments in this viggie, including the above, my favorite. It makes the whole work so much more complete and realisitc!

WONDERFUL!! :)

13. Jedi_E_Solo

Nov 8, 2002
    Puggy, I had one of my friends read this and she was awestruck. She was impressed by the way you wrote it. She almost cried but not quite because we were at school. The eulogy was incredible by the way. Again, AWESOME JOB!!!

14. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    ::sobs:: Puggy, how can you do this to me?? Your funeral scenes...it should be illegal to write them so well! Not Han!!! ::hugs Leia:: I loved him too!!! You've still got your kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, that was extremely rambling and incoherent, but what I'm trying to say here is: GREAT vignette, as always!!!

15. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I swear if you write one more beautifully tragic piece, I'm going to hurl myself from the nearest cliff.

16. Jedi_E_Solo

Nov 8, 2002
    Up, beacuse everyone should read this.

17. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Yes, up!

18. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Jedi_E_Solo: Aww, thank you! I hate it, though, when I bring people to tears! I'm glad your friend liked it, too! :)

Kirana: Hehe, thank you! I still don't think I know Leia well enough, but writing vigs like this really helps.

Bellyup: Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked those lines--I was wondering whether or not I should put the one in where Leia talks "to" Han about the twins, because it's the only time she talks to him...

Miska: Thank you veddy much! I don't know why I've written two funeral scenes--it's almost sadistic! I assure you, though, I'm quite the happy person!

RogueSticks: *Looks around* Uh-oh... LOL, I've got one in the works, actually...

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    That was great. :_|

20. recklessabandon

recklessabandon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    :_| Wow. I can't say anything else except wow. That was great. We all need a tear-jerker once in a while. You write Leia very well. I read your other funeral viggie, The Best of Us. It was so real that I had to go watch ESB to remind myself that Leia hadn't died! [face_laugh] In fact, I think I'll go do that now...

21. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    that was beautiful, Puggy! i loved it!

:_| :( :_| :( :_| :( :_| :( :_| :(

why is everyone writing sad viggies now?

awesome job, Puggy...I could definately see this happening...very realistic...

22. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    That was beautiful! You almost made me cry. I loved "The Best of Us" and this was a perfect counterpart to it, just as touching. And I thought you wrote Leia extremely well--I especially liked her thoughts on pity, and her speech was heartbreaking.

Wow.

23. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Tragically beautiful, Puggy. Very heartbreakng, indeed.

On a lighter note, although I understood the sincerity of Leia describing Han as her second and misunderstood gift - very sweet and accurate way to put it, actually - when I read this through a second time, the thought occurred to me: Puggy,no, Leia is describing Han as a 'gift from the Gods! Han, our arrogant scoundrel, would love being called that, especially by her! ;) He would put it on his business cards: 'Han Solo, Gift from the Gods'

J_Girl

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    All I can say is wow...

Very nicely written, Puggy! I think you did a good job catching Leia's character. Keep up the awesome work! :)

25. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001

"When I was younger, I used to cry out into the heavens, 'Why me?' Now, though, I realize I had been asking the wrong question all along. So, tonight, I ask you, I ask the Gods, and I ask myself, 'Why Han?'"

Oh my gosh....I am going to cry. I AM crying. :(

That was absolutly beautiful, tragic, heartbreaking, beautiful. Han, dead, thats hard to imagine, poor Leia...

Great job! :D

But I agree with J_Girl, Han would love being called, 'a gift of the gods'. :p

I really loved the way you used "I know" but in a differnt way.

Very sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.