main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I bet the Rebels at Yavin were freaking out

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Naboo1, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    Think about it. The Rebels at Yavin Four probably knew that some huge space station was approcahing their planet.

They didn't even know if they were going to have the plans to the Death Star at ALL until the Falcon showed up.

Did the Rebels have evacuation procedures ready to go?

2. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    The rebels probably had an evacuation procedure at every base that they inhabited.

SBC

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The Rebels were aware that the Death Star was behind the Falcon, they also had about a day to prepare for the battle. The reason for that is the Falcon has a faster hyperdrive than the Deahth Star (EU of course). Not a lot of time, but it is still some time.

As for evacuations, I don't think they evacuated anyone. It was more along the lines of "do it or die day", they might've evacuated all non-essential personel though.

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    They had to be freaking out. The Death Star was warming up its guns when Luke saved the day.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    They may have FELT like freaking out, but they remained calm and did their duty.

Like sitting behind funny Plexiglass screens with glowing green Art Decolike patterns on them.

(salutes)

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I can't believe they wouldn't have evacuated anyone. We know the entire Rebellion wasn't present there since the leaders from RotJ were absent, but even if it was just one cell, there were important people there. Leia, for one. Wouldn't it have made sense to get her out?

7. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    It was the Falcon that lead them to where they were hiding with the tracking device. The Empire didnt know where they were and couldnt find them. Im pretty sure they would have had a standard evac procedure setup but nothing else.

8. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, but Leia has a sense of honor. Would it really be honorable to abandon those who were fighting for her, for the Rebellion just so she had a chance of living. She might not have been fighting, she did her part in ensuring the plans got to Yavin IV and I don't think she wanted to hear the results on the holonet.

If I was Leia I would stay on Yavin IV. I'd place my life in the hands of the pilots and if they died then so would I. Honor.

If the Rebels had a evacutation plan, I wonder how many wanted to leave? They were making history, this was going to be a decisive battle and they were in it.

9. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    Han and Chewie scarpered but I Chewie made them come back, probably Wookie honor or something

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The Rebellion didn't have many evacuation ships on Yavin 4 at the time, so they couldn't leave.

11. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I'm sure they had plans. The rebels were not stupid.

HOWEVER, they did NOT know that the DS was on its way, since it was using the Falcon to track them there.

12. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    ^Yes, but there was probably some Generals at the base that eventually came to the conclusion that the Empire would discover them.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yes, but Leia has a sense of honor. Would it really be honorable to abandon those who were fighting for her, for the Rebellion just so she had a chance of living. She might not have been fighting, she did her part in ensuring the plans got to Yavin IV and I don't think she wanted to hear the results on the holonet.

And would that be an honorable thing to do when the rest of the Rebellion still needed her?

14. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    No, it probably would not be a honorable thing. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

15. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    The Rebellion didn't have many evacuation ships on Yavin 4 at the time, so they couldn't leave.

Bib is correct.

I'd also like to think that they stayed so that the death star would continue to attack, giving the fighters a chance to knock it out.

16. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    From a movie-making point of view it would be a lot less dramatic if the Death Star was about five seconds away from destroying a planet with a deserted Rebel Base! ;)

As for saying that not all the Rebels were on Yavin I think the Empire were convinced the entire Rebel Alliance was there. That's why Vader claims the day "...has seen the end of Kenobi and will soon see the end of the Rebellion." Of course Vader could have been wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.