main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Bought Them All - the Figures, the Ships, even the LEGO! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 8, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't managed to get into Game of Thrones. It's a bit too 'fantasy' for me.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

...and a bit below any acceptable moral code for me. I don't like the fictional settings where absolutely everybody is a villain. When such stories are marketed to enormous viewers, it could be pretty problematic. I am not saying this from some crazy conservative and religious point of a view, as I'm a tree worshiping atheist and my views are fairly liberal, it's just too much. Just like that show with the obsessive killer guy.

(Sorry, PadmeLeiaJaina, I know you didn't ask, I was just continuing onto the previous message, having seen that I'm not the only person on Earth who doesn't watch it.)

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    GOT is actually not very fantasy which is what makes it unique. Yes there are dragons and strange characters, etc, but I don't overly think of it as fantasy...it's more kingdoms at war than anything.

Not everyone is a villain in GOT, there are lots of heroes, but the heroes are strongly flawed, everyone is flawed. The women in the books are positively marvelous (excluding Cersei who I can't stand.) I love the series (books, TV) because Martin does a great job of painting real people. Power corrupts completely - monsters aren't necessarily creatures, and sadly being highly honorable might end up costing you your head. I've read other fantasy series where there are wizards and magic etc - I find Martin's world a lot more compelling overall.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've taken a look at the books in the bookstore before. I read a bit of the first one and just couldn't get into it. It was the same deal with Lord of the Rings - lots of people like it but I'm not one of them.

5. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    LOTR is far more likeable, but it does the same thing as the cartoon series that introduced me to this entire universe we discuss on here - the lead character is useless without his best friend most of the time, is somewhat detached from his own emotions and generally, not a hero.

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Laybyed The Ghost and Phantom Lego sets from Star Wars Rebels :D

7. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Went to toy show last weekend, picked up vintage Darth Vader Star Destroyer, boxes only Salve I and Cantina, loose figures, Grevious Wheel transport and ship, and postman finally brough my vintage Y-Wing front gun. Mailing main OT figures to my cousin who requested some figures. But of course I'm sending him a few extra's keeping his interest in Star Wars for the long haul I hope.

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Even my dog loves the picture books and colouring books I got today. That was freaky, she wasn't letting me pick them up after taking a photo, for about fifteen minutes!

[​IMG]

* sorry for the flash, the light was bad and I couldn't bother.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    So I was in town today. I normally don't see Boba Fett staring out at me from shop windows there, so when I did I had to ask. £400, was the reply. Too rich for my blood. The painting was in the window of a furniture store along with some others - a few SW-related. The lady in the shop said she really liked the art and bought some paintings for resale in the store. She also had the AT-AT and R2, along with a Leia that isn't pictured. Scroll down to see Boba here.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    WHOA. That R2-D2 meets Andy Warhol painting is quite something! Thanks for showing us this.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, had the Fett been about £200 cheaper I might have been tempted. It was quite large tho so I don't know where I would have hung it up. It was all nicely framed and under glass (as were the others). She had some booklets of the artist's work tho so I have one of those. Fett and R2 (amongst others) are in there.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    At first, I was sitting here with my mouth open...

...and then I remembered that I paid 320€ for an obscure 7'' vinyl last year, so yeah, I totally get you. :D

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The most I've dropped on a collectible was I think $80.

Anywho, I scored a Black Series Toryn Farr figure today!

I can now ship her with my Zuckuss figure. :D

Juke Skywalker and whostheBossk like this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I saw her the other day, too, so that wave seems to be shipping now.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I have not decorated for the New Year's for two years in a row, but this time I will...because...

[​IMG]

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Postman brought Issue #11 of the SW Comic Magazine today. Included in the package was a free Rebels sticker album and a sheet of 6 stickers.

whostheBossk likes this.
  18. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Received carded Leia Endor, Dengar, and the two rear guns for the Rebel Transport this week. "The Transport is away" or in this case...finally complete!! TRU still has no Rebel figures.

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, Hot Topic has a bunch of new SW stuff. Saw some really nice hoodies the other day when I was there.

However, my purchases there were non-SW stuff, and I was trying to find a Bossk Pop! figure, but all they had was Artoo. They had a great Rocksteady figure, though.

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hi, my username is Ewok Poet and I have an Ewok problem.

[​IMG]

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's nothing. You should see my Fett 'problem'. You can see some of it at the link in my sig. Pics are old - there are more than that.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Will do. :)

Then, at some point, I'll take a pic of my John Frusciante problem for you, because I don't think anybody's anything-problem can top that. :D

Until then, as a web developer, I'm pretty sure your site has a problem. ;)

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Post lady brought issues 33-36 of the SW Fact File and my special edition Darth Vader figurine today. Luckily I was home to get the package.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You're a bad influence, an enabler and stuff. I went to buy cheeses for my Timballo and I ended up with a Yoda plush I found in a gift store. :D My first non-Ewok item.

My dog, she wants to have babies with it, but that's a whole different matter.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    One of the Rebelscum staff found a new Ewok Item at a local Disney store. Something else for your desk if you have a nearby store..

Ewok Poet likes this.