main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Bought Them All - the Figures, the Ships, even the LEGO! (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT , Sep 8, 2012.

1. xyloren

xyloren Jedi Master star 2

Feb 19, 2016
    I'd like to start venturing into the 12" line. They look so cool in displays. I know people fake/scam on the 3.75" '77 figures. Do you think they fake the 12"? Should I be worried about buying a fake?

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    xyloren As w/the 3 3/4" line, they do have "repro" accessories for the 12-15" figures. Everything from guns to lightsabers to medals (Han) and Wookie braids (Boba Fett). But it's not nearly as prevalent as it is w/the 3 3/4" line.

My advice for people re: repro accessories is do the research. There's a website (which I won't directly link to because I'm not sure if it's okay to do so and I don't want to break the rules) called Imperialgunnery.com that has a an extensive file on all accessories and compare originals with all of the various known repros. Photos in those eBay ads aren't always clear enough to make such distinctions w/the weapons, so when in doubt ask the seller if the accessories are actual vintage Kenner accessories. If they're not sure, ask for a close up photo of the accessories so that you can look them up and compare and contrast w/pictures of actual vintage items.

I love the vintage 12-15" line. It was extremely well done. It's a shame it wasn't successful enough for them to do more figures for TESB and any at all for ROTJ.

3. xyloren

Feb 19, 2016

Oh so only the weapons/accessories. As far as you know the figures themselves such be okay though?

4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    xyloren Yeah, I'm not aware of any bootleg or fake vintage 12-15" figures out there. Just accessories/weapons and maybe packaging (some people do make custom boxes and card backs for vintage figures).

The only other things I'd keep in mind here that it's not unusual for sellers to list items from the 90s-00's as vintage these days, so it's a good idea to familiarize yourself w/both the vintage Kenner (70s/80s) larger figures and then POTF2 era and beyond so that you don't find yourself bidding on a 90s/00s figure listed as vintage and it's not; at least in the way we mean it. That holds true for the accessories as well. I haven't seen it, but it's not unlikely that some vintage Kenner 12-15" might be supplemented with accessories from newer figures. A 1978 Han Solo with a blaster from a 90s Han Solo 12" figure for instance.

xyloren likes this.
  5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Got the Zeb Funko POP! Just need Hera and Sabine and got the whole Ghost crew! Loving collecting these now. Now own Kanan, Ezra, Zeb, Chopper, Jyn Erso, and GameStop exclusive Han Solo Hoth. Oh, and the Smuggler's Bounty Han on TaunTaun!

6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Man my collecting and posting has really dried up lately. I didn't really like a rogue One as much as I wanted to, and Carries passing... I've kind of taken a step back the last few months. I'm looking forward to the rumored September 1rst Last Jedi Force Friday though!

7. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Got my cool new SW Rebels shirt I ordered off Amazon! It has the Grand Inquisitor flanked by stormtroopers and says Imperial Force!

8. xyloren

Feb 19, 2016
    What are people's thoughts on opening vs. keeping your figures boxed for display?

Part of me wants to open so I can make better displays, while the other half worries about depreciation, which is weird because I don't plan on ever selling but you never know I guess.

9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    xyloren The only things I keep on card/boxed are items where the packaging is at least half the appeal. Something like the OTC/VOTC/VSC; i.e. the figures w/the retro Kenner and Kenner style cardbacks. But something like The Black Series, where the packaging is about as appealing as cold toast, I open 'em up. I do understand the fear of opening them up and hurting the value, but that's roll of the dice. Some modern figures do appreciate (the aforementioned Black Series in some cases), but the bulk of the POTF2 stuff mint on mint card probably goes for less today than it did at retail. Same with a lot of the prequel stuff.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. xyloren

Feb 19, 2016

Yeah that's how I feel. Black Series begs to be opened, because the packaging is bland but also the figures are amazingly posable. I definitely am an opener :) I did buy a couple of extra Disney Elite and die casts because they were on sale so I'll have duples of those. I notice most people do a little bit of both, which makes sense to me.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Was in town today and found a set of 8 Rogue One 3D coasters in the local branch of Menkind. These are pretty nice - the one of Vader in front of an image of the Death Star is especially nice. You can see a pic of all 8 here on Amazon UK.

12. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I keep most of my stuff boxed at the moment, but that's mainly because I don't have a real display area set up, and I'd rather keep everything together for now.

13. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I keep my Black Series figures boxed and some limited edition or exclusive things boxed, also duplicates that I might get...but most of my figures and Funko POPs are open and displayed.

whostheBossk likes this.
  14. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Black Series 3,75'' Walmart exclusive "Starkiller base" Han Solo

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Didn't so much as buy as won (via a Super Bowl bet) a 6" Black Series Snowtrooper. That gives me all four of the figures from that wave that I wanted. My current 6" Black Series count stands somewhere north of 25, and I only need to snag an R2-D2 (which goes for ridiculous prices on the secondary market, though a friend says he's getting a re-release this year) and IG-88 to be all caught up.

16. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Got from Amazon: Kylo Ren electronic bladebuilder lightsaber, Hera Syndulla Funko POP, and Star Wars volume 4: Last Flight Of The Harbinger comic.

17. xyloren

Feb 19, 2016
    Yeah R2 is being released in the 40th Anniverary 6" line! So excited because this means I'll can get him at retail :)

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    xyloren I saw that on Rebelscum. The packaging looks so cool that I'll probably even buy the rest, which I already have, and I'll find it hard to open that R2.

xyloren likes this.
  19. xyloren

Feb 19, 2016
    Hasbro released the wave on their site yesterday unannounced and they all sold out before I could get one :/ I'm sure they'll replenish and hopefully these will be easy to spot in the wild.

20. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, a few vlogs that I follow had mentioned that they pre-ordered them as well. Even though distribution at retail has been spotty at best, and my local stores are all jammed with Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor figures clogging up the pipeline, I think there will be a push behind this anniversary line and that we should be able to find them at retail.

21. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I will be out searching retail the rest of this week for new figures. I will update later. Really want Rogue One wave 3 or new Black Series 3.75 (Revan)

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  22. StarWarsFreak93

Jan 20, 2015
    Picked up Star Wars Aftermath: Empire's End today!

Giovs likes this.
  23. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Black Series 6'' Imperial SNOWTROOPER

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm hoping to find it in town next week. Otherwise it will be an Amazon UK order.

25. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I've been trying to find the Wal-Mart exclusive Black Series Royal Guard forever. So far it has eluded me.