VIDEO "I can haz Fire Flower?": Super Mario 3D World (aka EUFURRIA! PURR EUFURRIA!)

Discussion in 'Games' started by The2ndQuest, Sep 14, 2013.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [IMG]

Hits Nov 22nd in the US.

Obviously looking forward to this- I've been waiting for the SMB2 line-up and specialty powers to return in a Mario platformer for a very long time, and the whole Yellow Toad thing in NSMBW was an awful idea (but you might be able to excuse it as streamlining the game to get it out quickly) but was even more ridiculous in NSMBU (surely they could have fixed it by then? At least Super Luigi U swapped in characters with special abilities).

Figured I'd repost my impressions from playing the game at the Best Buy Nintendo/E3 kiosk deal:

Super Mario 3D World: The level options were 2-1, an "easy" cat level (seen in most demo videos), a clear pipe-centric level, a more difficult cat level with Bullet Bills, a boat level (which no one played because the rep advised it was a relatively short level) and a boss fight.

My group played the pipe level, and I played as Peach (DEATH TO YELLOW TOAD!). The pipe obstacles are not as simple an addition as I had initially thought- besides just the looping patterns you also have to deal with obstacles, a curious pop in-out mechanic for pipes that lead to nowhere (you need to time yourself to shoot up onto a moving cloud platform or else you fall back into the pipe and cannot jump out of it- OR if you're being dumped into an abyss, you have a brief mercy moment that allows you to reenter the pipe before you fall).

You can also walk on top of the pipes, which is easier said then done if you're trying to bubble back in and land on them without dying a second time. Peach's floating power came in handy for that portion.

Also, after getting a fire flower, I was very pleased to witness Fire Flower Peach for the first time since, I believe, the Super Mario Bros Super Show. :D

Another neat detail I noticed during someone else's playthrough: cat suits let you run up the flagpole! Also, I thought I saw someone shooting/throwing balls of yarn at enemies with a cat suit, but I didn't get a clean look at it.
    Rew likes this.
  2. Krusty the Clone Jedi Knight

star 1
    I gotta get a freakin wi u
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    A nice breakdown from Kotaku on some new facets of the game, alongside some animated gifs from the latest trailer (below).

Highlights:

-There's a worldmap! And it's free roam!
    -Using Cherries, you can end up controlling at least 5 copies of your character! (maybe more?)
    -Every level will have a Blue Stamp as one of the collectibles. A screen apparently indicated there were 100 or more slots for stamps, which suggests there will be ALOT of levels.
    -Bowser will take more than three hits to defeat (how dare they break convention! ;))
    -The Piranha Plant powerup can be used on the other players in co-op (BATTLETOADS MAYHEM SHALL ENSUE! MWHAHAHA!)
    -There are hidden walls only revealed by "scratching" the Wii U GamePad or a butt-stomp.
    -Pink fluffy animals can only be defeated by blowing into the Pad's mic.

The first trailer didn't blow me away. But between this and the slew of new powerups in that trailer, I'm actually even more excited to play this game- and I've already played the game! ;)
  4. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    So, Nintendo World Report has pointed out some interesting details about this picture released to promote the game:

[IMG]

Besides the different enemies (some that may not have been seen since SM64), they point out attention to the upper right hand corner- beyond the Bowser Theme Park...

ENHANCE!

[IMG]

Looks like maybe Rosalina will be involved again this time around- perhaps a connection to the green haired princess in the trailer?
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Oct 7, 2013
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Just a thought I had, but I knew the cherry splitting power reminded me of something- anyone else remember the Mario 128 (what would become Sunshine) spaceworld demo from 2000?

[IMG]
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Anyone here pick it up yet? I've had to put it off a week or two due to the Zelda/3DS purchase, but the reviews have been very good, as one would expect.
  7. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't play the WiiU myself but Mike at Cinemasacre.com (ie. the site run by the Angry Video Game Nerd) has a 20 min quick look which looks pretty cool:

8. Ichor_Razor Force Ghost

star 2
    From what I've seen, this game looks more fun than the Galaxy games were. I wish to play it one day.
  9. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Picked it up yesterday, quite fun so far. The screen I'm playing it on isn't the greatest, but so far the graphics have been very nice, a bit above what last year's Mario had. Not to mention having everything in 3D (after the New Mario games we've been getting) is a nice treat. Still only in the second world, but very fun so far. The catsuit is pretty useful, climbing walls and having a... what do you call it, air-dash? Um, something like what the old Cape from Super Mario had (that sharp diagonal dive). Though just got to be careful not to fall off stages, or even the back of stages, I'm only a mediocre player.
  10. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    This game is frickin' hard!
  11. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    Just spent half my Thanksgiving holiday getting to the end. Mostly sure that wasn't a waste of my holiday, as this is probably the best game since the Galaxy games. Great graphics, fun power-ups, its so fun to see four or five Marios on screen on once and trying to keep them from getting killed. The ending is quite chaotic, but very fun to watch and play.

The only major negative I'd mention is that certain boss stages require you have so many green stars to get there- which I find very annoying since sometimes just finishing a stage is difficult, but getting enough stars just makes it worse.

Still, very fun game, loved it, now just have to take a break before attempting the star world (that shouldn't be a spoiler, there's usually one of those in most major Mario games).
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    So, first impressions on the game after clearing pretty much everything in the first 2 worlds except 1 max flagpole and 2 or 3 stamps...

I'm a little underwhelmed. But I think that's because this is not like any prior 3D Mario game (can't speak for 3D Land though, haven't played that yet)- it's very much a 3D version of the NSMB series. And, having just played and beaten NSMBU about a year ago and having the Luigi U expansion waiting on my shelf, it just feels too similar too soon.

If NSMB was an update of SMB1, NSMBW was an update of SMB3 and NSMBU was an update of SMW, this game feels like an update of SMB2 merged with SMB3 with some 3D Mario elements added into the mix. Now, that's not a bad thing- I love Mario 2, so having the full cast with their individual powers (LIKE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM THE START WITH NSMBW!) as well as stuff like slot machines and such is fantastic.

The game also handles very differently- gone are most (though not all) of the acrobatics of the SM64/SMS/SMG series (Farewell, double/triple jumps, how I loved thee). Levels being mostly linear and also implementing functional flagpole goals for the first time also evokes the 2D series design.

That said, the powerups are very cool so far (this is the best 3D representation of Fire Flower power ever) and even the first Morton fight felt a little tricky/challenging for the first time in over 20 years.

The story is almost nonexistent- they don't even tell you who/what you're trying to save and don't even name the region except on a menu map or something (though, points for the lovely detail of a Kraken Blooper on the map).

I have a feeling the game will certainly surprise me later on (most of these games lately take a couple worlds before providing an interesting challenge) but for now it falls a little shy in the 3D Mario spectrum but excels in the 2D Mario spectrum. I don't think it lives up to the "This is greatest adventure game I've ever played" review hype it recieved, however it is a solid, polished game that will deliver a great Mario platformer experience. I would just recommend spacing out it and any of the NSMB series with some other titles, otherwise you might detect a lack of variety like I did.
    Last edited by The2ndQuest, Jun 21, 2014
  14. The Shadow Emperor Force Ghost

star 4
    What you're describing is pretty much how I felt when I first started playing, only for me it got worse, and that was probably exacerbated by the fact that I'm a completionist and HAVE to finish each level 100% before I can move on. I ended up despising the game by the time I got to the final world. I don't know if Nintendo is out of ideas or if they're just plain lazy, but aside from the powerups and annoying circus levels nothing really struck me as new or original in the game. Overall it was incredibly monotonous and really devoid of interesting content like the NSMB series. I definitely wish I'd gone with Wind Waker HD instead.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'd have a hard time saying it was less interesting than NSMB series- I think it's clear ties to that make the 3D elements added in more fresh than NSMBU was. NSMBU does have a fuller feeling world and more of a clear storyline (albeit an extremely familiar one).

I'd wait for the next true installment in the 3D series before suggesting Nintendo is out of ideas, though. The NSMB/SLU/SM3DW series may have run it's course at this point, but seeing what follows 64/SMS/SMG will be a better place to judge that, I think. At the very least, the SMG series could still support a new entry with minimal additions and not feel tired. At best, we'll get something new entirely.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I will say that the level designs do get increasingly more creative- I'm in the cloud world now but a couple worlds ago there was a very fun Mario Kart-themed level that was pretty damn fun. These great ideas and designs do elevate the game somewhat, but it still doesn't quite achieve the core 3D Mario vibe even if it is excelling as an evolution of the 2D series.