main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST I can hear you - SPOILERS!!! - Post RotJ Pre TFA - speculation

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Lady_Misty, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    WARNING! Contains spoilers for TFA!!!

Title: I can hear you
    Era: Post RotJ – Pre TFA
    Genre: -
    World: Canon with speculation and suppositions
    Character(s): Ben, Han Solo, Leia Organa with mentions of other characters
    Synopsis: In his room late at night, when his parents think he’s sleeping, Ben listens to his parents arguing about him.
    Series: None

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

He could hear snippets of his parents’ argument through the walls and door of his room. He had tried covering his ears at one but the Force still roiled with fear, anger, frustration and other emotions he didn’t want to feel.

This was one of the many arguments they had had recently and all of them had been about him. There were only two ways these arguments ended: his parents would apologize to each other and things would be tense for a while or his father would leave for an undetermined period of time and his mother would be upset until he returned.

His parents told him that they loved him but they had a funny way of showing it at times; especially his father. If he didn’t know better he would say his father feared him.

“He’s trying Han,” his mother’s voice sounded so clear through the walls. “It was an honest accident and everyone agrees with me that it was an accident.”

“They would say that because of who you are and they don’t want to anger you. You are a powerful figure and they know that you have some training in the Force and don’t want you practicing on them.” His father snapped.

Rage boiled in the Force and Ben felt tears fall from his face as he saw in his mind’s eye the slap his mother gave his father.

“Don’t you dare compare me to them!” his mother spat.

Biting his lower lip he tried to use the Force to block out the voices but he could still ‘hear’ and Feel the argument in the Force.

The voices that he tried so hard to ignore whispered things that he blocked out but he knew those voices would be back; they always did no matter what he did.

Deep inside he could Feel the dangerous Power building up inside of him. Across is room the datapad he used for school sparked and the dim lights flickered.

Throwing his covers aside he jumped from his bed and decided he just wanted the argument to stop; it burned him inside to hear and Feel the anger and fear in the Force.

Quietly he made his way the sitting room where he knew his parents were, ready to cry and beg them to stop; something he had never done before.

Out here he could hear the argument better and that hardened his resolve to make them stop.

“I have already asked Luke if he has the time to help Ben with his outbursts and help him gain better control. He sa-” His mother began.

“Are you out of your mind Leia?!” His father yelled. “You want your brother to give an already somewhat unstable Force User a greater control on his powers? Do you really want to unleash another Vader on the galaxy?”

Ben froze in the shadows in the corridor just outside of the low lights of the sitting room. He could Feel his mother’s shock, anger, fear and something else he couldn’t identify.

“So you would rather he continue to struggle with things he’s Feeling and Sensing?” His mother asked softly. “I am sorry you feel the way you do but I don’t want our son struggling with the Dark Side; in the end he could be a bigger threat to the galaxy.”

“He already has too much of Vader in him Leia for it to do him, us or the galaxy any good.” His father snapped.

Ben backed away from the sitting room. He had heard of Vader at school and from friends of his parents. He remembered that Vader had been a Sith Lord, had almost completely destroyed the Jedi Knights during the time of the Empire and evil.

Why had his father said he had too much of Vader in him? His grandfather, Anakin Skywalker, had been a Jedi Knight that had died in the very early days of the Empire. His mother and uncle had been separated at birth to protect them from the Emperor.

The voices he tried so hard to ignore suddenly rushed in; whispering in his mind all sorts of horrible things.

Your father fears you for things you have no control of; he doesn’t truly love you. Your mother fears you as well and willing to lie to you to keep you from your true power.

Your parents are fearful but not of you but for you. They love you and want what’s best for you. You are very powerful and these outbursts worry them.

“I hope someone steals that pile of garbage from you and disassembles it!” His mother’s voice rang out.

“That ‘pile of garbage’ has saved your life on more than one occasion.” His father said, farther away then it had been a few minutes ago.

“Please don’t go Han.” His mother pleaded.

“I’ll leave if I want to Sweetheart.” His father said and a few moments later Ben could hear the front door open and then close. A moment later he could hear his mother begin to sob.

Running out of the shadows he wrapped his arms around his mother in a hug.

He Felt his mother stiffen before returning his hug.

“It’s alright mom, dad will come back like he always does.” He told her as a few more tears ran down his face.

“I wish . . . I wish that things were different.” She whispered in his ear as she hugged tightly.

“I do too.” He mumbled as the voices started whispering again.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent tumult of emotions and no easy answers. [face_thinking] Training or harnessing correctly would always seem the better option, safer anyway.

3. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Poor Ben, to hear his parents arguing about him. :( Hard to say which was worse, training him or having left him untrained. Perhaps it didn't matter in the end. Kylo Ren was always his destiny.

Great work.=D=

Findswoman and Lady_Misty like this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Eeeeegads, this is scary. It starts off as something similar to those awful conversations Vernon and Petunia had about Harry, but then comes the point where we don't know if Ben really hears Vader or, which I'm more inclined to believe, that he thinks he can hear him, while something is genuinely wrong with him.

Findswoman and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I like the way we get the perspective of the very young Ben here, and it makes a lot of sense to me that his parents' troubles together would play some role in his turn to the Dark Side. Parents' arguments and bad vibes can have huge emotional effects on their children—huger than parents often realize—especially when they talk about the kids ("He has too much Vader in him"—how can they imagine that hearing that won't affect the poor kid in some way?_

And gosh, if that's so for real-life younglings with no sensitivity to the Force, how much more so must it be for a youngling with the ability to Feel and Sense in the Force? :eek: It's near-inevitable that some kind of sensory overload wold result—and indeed we see that it does, with that flood of voices rushing in, the datapad sparking and the lights flickering (love that touch, and I have something similar forthcoming in one of my own stories). That's the precursor all those outbursts in TFA, and the fact that it's relatively low-key for now doesn't make it any less scary. :eek:

Lovely little moment at the end with the mother-son hug. Given how things are going at this point and how they will go later, I hope Leia is cherishing every one of those moments! The mother-son relationship between Leia and Ben/Kylo is one of the things I'm most curious about in the ST, and something I always love to see handled in fanfic. Very nice job! :)

AzureAngel2, Ewok Poet and Lady_Misty like this.
  6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Children always suffer when their parents fight and have arguments. And when a child starts to take sides it gets worse. Well written! =D=

Lady_Misty likes this.