main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I cannot interfere."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Benny_Blanco, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

When Obi-Wan says, "If you go to face the Emperor, I cannot interfere."(or words to that effect) in ROTJ, I`ve always kind of thought, "Why?!?" Presumably Force-ghosts can`t be hurt, so wouldn`t it be a big help to Luke if Force-ghost Obi AND Yoda were to appear in the Emperors chamber while Luke was there?

Come to think about it, why couldn`t Obi-Wan appear in Palpatine`s bedroom every time he`s just drifting off to sleep, and scream "BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" in his ear? Lack of sleep might eventually drive Palps to suicide, thereby throwing the Empire into disarray??

2. Lord_Coras

Lord_Coras Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    Obi-Wan is lazy and/or scared.

3. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Hmmm... maybe the dark side, which surrounds Palpatine and Vader, repels light side "ghosts"?

Or maybe, since Yoda and Obi Wan are completely given over to the Force, they cannot take DIRECT action to shape destiny. They can only advise the heroes on who's shoulders everything depends.

4. LovedAnakin

LovedAnakin Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I agree with that. In addition, this was Luke's fight. This was something that luke had to deal with on his own. In ANH, Obi told luke "your destiny lies along a different path" and Vader tells him, "your destiny lies with me skywalker".

5. Lexi

Lexi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I guess that you're refering to the scene in ESB when Obi-Wan says that he can't interfere if Luke goes to face Vader.

I don't think it's because Obi-Wan can't physically interfere, but that it's something Luke must do by himself. He must decide for himself if he's really ready to meet Vader and he can't depend on Obi-Wan to save him.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Luke had to face his destiny alone. It's classic storytelling. The mentor has to move on and let the hero fulfill his task without interference.

7. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Why? I don't know. And I don't think we are supposed to know. The force is a mystical entity, and for some reason Obi-Wan couldn't help Luke out.

I would guess it has something to do with the fact that he can't interfere with Luke's decisions as to how he will control his emotions and rather he will cross to the dark side, and probably has something to do with Vader.

For my own personal belief, I think there is some sort of code Obi Wan is honor bound by, but that's just me.

I can tell you this - it's not based on any "force rules" or the fact Obi Wan was only a level 9 Jedi Master or some malarky like that.

8. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

You`d think he could`ve done some practical jokes on Vader or something.

9. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    i agree with most posters.

obi wan had to let luke make the right decisions and face vader, for the ultimate defeat of the Sith..

BUT...

perhaps also, remeber Vaders line to Palpy in ESB "hes just a boy, Obi wan can NO LONGER HELP HIM"

Maybe, if Obi Wan shows up in spirit, voice, or any way....then Vader and Palps would immediately sense him and figure there is a way to remain after death...

basically, If obi wan interfears, maybe Vader and Palps will be aware of this whole Force Ghost phenomena and that alone may clue them in on how to become one with the force??

just a thought

10. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Good point, Master_Jedi80, but then how does Vader manage to come back as a Jedi ghost without Obi or Yoda interfearing?

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    Good point...

maybe once Vader is redeemed, Qui, Yoda or Obi contact him some how and tell him the tricks...
    or he is automatically granted the force ghost cause hes the chosen one.

I always figured that if the Emperor and Vader saw or new about the Obi force ghost powers, they would call a time out, huddle up, and call a new play...

edit [force]

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    jedi_master_ousley posted on 7/20/05 1:37pm
    Luke had to face his destiny alone. It's classic storytelling. The mentor has to move on and let the hero fulfill his task without interference.[hr][/blockquote]

You're absolutely right. Obi-Wan's time was served and he was only a mentor to Luke at that time, and he couldn't help Luke in battle even if he wanted to.

13. Jedi_Master_Ryokono

Jedi_Master_Ryokono Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
    remember also that if one's consciousness is preserved by the Force while the body is destroyed (as such in Ben and Yoda's cases) the knowledge, however extensive in life, is still limited to that of the original person... MEANING that Ben and Yoda have no idea, even as Force ghosts, what will come of Vader vs Luke, but they know from their connection (that still exists as part of the Force itself) that the destiny is Luke's and Luke's alone.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He had already interfered during Luke's battle with Vader on Mimban. He couldn't do it again.

15. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    What battle? Is this from a book?

If it was from Splinter in the Mind's Eye (or something like that), I'm not too sure if what happened in that book has ANYTHING to do with what happened in the movies.

But what do I know?

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yes, it is from Splinter. It doesn't have to do with the movies directly, but it does have to do with Star Wars.

17. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Prolly the best they could do is rattle some cupboard doors and slide a salt shaker across the table. Not too useful.

18. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    *So you brought Obi-Wan with you...such a coward you are for bringing along the helpless spirit of such a pathetic soul. Be thankful I cannot kill him again, but you have disapointed me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.