main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[I can't believe it took me a day to post this] Your Dallas Mavericks Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Well, Bowen is notorious for playing dirty, period.

2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Anthony Parker's injury was completely accidental. I know the guy's constantly injuring players with his dirty play, but they just got tangled up.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    ESPN ( and a German website) are reporting that Mark Cuban is lookign into signing Reggie Miller out of retirement. :eek:

4. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Mark Cuban made comments about it yes, but I'll be surprised if it actually happened, Though, I would be more than happy to have him. I'm pretty sure Cuban mentioned signing Reggie last year, as well, so I'm not putting much thought into the possibility. It's weird that Miller hasn't addressed the press about it in any way yet, though.

5. jabbathenutt

jabbathenutt Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    hey there.
    i am new to these boards... its good to see people talking about basketball :D
    can we talk about any team? or just the mavs[face_worried] ???

i am also a player and referee here in south australia :cool:

my favouriote team is MIAMI ....yeah i know they are not doing so good this year and now they are going to get worse with Dwayne Wade out :_| but i still love them.

GO ZO!!!! [face_dancing]

6. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    This thread is on the Mavs only. This is threa thread you're looking for NBA discussion . Not sure if there's a Heat thread, check the index.

EDIT: I checked the index, thereisn't one. YOu can certainly feel free to make one.

Having followed and hated (yet admired and feared) Reggie since he was in college (ND-UCLA used to be a big rivalry) he could certainly be incredibly valuable in the right circumsatnces, though I wonder if he could turn down his ego enough to play second fiddle to Dirk.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I think its very unlikely that Miller will return to playing basketball, but then I would have said the same about Scottie Pippen (though I haven't heard of anyone actually signing him yet, either..)

8. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Haha, ego? Seriously? Reggie's not stupid. If he (or Pip for that matter) decide to come back, they realize that at their age, they aren't going to play many minutes. Having a veteran presence would certainly help many teams, and yes they could still contribute, but not to any large extent. They'd play 20 minutes/game at the very most, and probably close to 10.

On that note though, Reggie would be a great fit on the Mavs. He'd play the role of a shooter, and that's it, kind of like what Brent Barry's doing on the Spurs. With Dirk drawing so much attention, Reggie could be invaluable in forcing defenders to stay home on him, in hopes that he doesn't burn them with an open three off a Dirk double-team. Opens up the lane more for Dirk to operate.

A lineup of Terry/Reggie/Howard/Stack/Dirk? Damn good. Although they probably could grab a rebound to save their lives.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    enjoy the last day of this streak being active, Mavs fans!

:p

10. Boomer_Athena

Nov 8, 2006
    Yeah. The Mavs are only 15 games ahead of the Cavs, and the Cavs haven't won here in 7 years. It'll probably go your way. :rolleyes:

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    He has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ego. Sure he'll tone it down for the most part realising he's well past his prime, but at crunch time, he's going to want to be the one to take the shot.

12. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    I *might* agree with you, if he was going to a team like Chicago, or Utah, or any place without an absolute star player. But playing with Dirk? You don't think he'd take a backseat at crunch time, and let one of the most skilled and clutch players in the league take over? Reggie's not an idiot. He's not going to come back and demand shots, just because he used to be a great scorer. He'll score when he has to, shoot the open three, and let the rest of the Mavs squad (which is talented as hell anyways) do what they have to do. That's if he ends up on the Mavs at all, but in that scenario, there's no way Reggie tries to "highjack" the team at crunchtime, like you are seemingly implying.

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Well, it's a moot point anyway, the Mavs have denied it.

If Reggie were going to come back, he'd obviously only do so for a ring. And in making the decision to do so, he would do exactly as you said, realize the team already has a star, and he's just there to complement him. But I can't believe, if he gets the ball in his hands in the last 2 minutes of a big game, that he's going to look to pass first.He may say he would to a team trying to sign him, he may even believe it, but deep down, his shooter's mentality is going to take over.

14. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    Eh, I disagree, but it's all good. I have a hard time seeing Reggie trying to run an isolation for himself during crunch time when there's another superstar on his team. Now if he went to one of the teams I mentioned above, it could be different. But Dallas, SA, Phoenix, LA, Cleveland, Washington, any of those teams with prolific scorers and clutch players, Reggie will shoot the open three, but not force it.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg]

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    ASG FTW.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    :p

I'd say good game, but it wasn't really ... it was a good fourth quarter.

Still, I'm not too upset with a three point loss on the road to the best team in basketball.

18. LittleTinGoddess

LittleTinGoddess Jedi Master star 4

Oct 7, 2006
    Your a referee now? 8 yr olds or something wasn't?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You Mavs fans can breath a little easier tonight ... the Mavs clinched a playoff spot tonight.

With 22 games left to pay.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Oh, thank god. :oops:

21. jabbathenutt

jabbathenutt Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i watched the NJN game today... good win by dallas!!
    i am putting my money on them this year.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The Mavs are 0-2 when scoring at least 100 points against the Warriors this season and 30-0 when scoring at least 100 points against any other team.

23. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    A Warriors/Mavs series would be awesome to see. With Nellie coming back to town, facing the boys that he helped build. That would be the series to watch in the first round, provided the Warriors are healthy is it happens.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://www.photo-shirts.com/sports/nbaplayteams/Dallas_Mavericks.gif]

Mavs clinched the first seed in the Western conference tonight. [face_dancing]

First time in franchise history they've accomplished that. They've already won more games than any time in franchise history, and have five more games to get up there with some of the top historical regular seasons any team has had in NBA history. All of this is nice, and will be good to look back on.......after the playoffs.

They still have plenty of work to do, before the season is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.