main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX i cant believe my elvish ears.....

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by RayParkFan, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayParkFan

RayParkFan Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2001
    i saw on cnn the other night that N SYNC was making a surprise cameo in AOTC. What is George thinking? I don't want any Jedi Pop going on here.

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Here are the major schools of thought so far...
    1) It is irrelevant
    a) It is completely irrelevant
    b) I wish they hadn't done it, but still irrelevant.

2) It sucks
    a) It sucks so bad I'm giving up on SW, this is the last straw in the cheesification of my once favorite movies
    b) I can live with it but it sucks

I'm a 2b man myself. I think it's just inherently cheesy and robs the movies ever so slightly of what they're supposed to be.
    Leave cheesy, board room created pop marketing creations out of SW movies.

3. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Look on the bright side. They will be on only for a split second, and they get blown up to holy hell.

There can be only one solution to this type of stuff, get Kurgan to undergo a massive make over and make him front man of the resurrected "Meaty Cheesey Boyz" . Then introduce him to Lucas' daughter(who some say influenced him to including the crappy boy group), she'll fall instantly in love with Kurgan(who hasn't?) and we'll be set for bit parts in Ep. III.

Of course Kurgan's life will soon spiral into the abyss of drugs, party and rock 'n roll. Leading of course to the inevidable lonely life on Hollywood Blvd. looking for tricks...but hey I'm will to take that risk for a milisecond of screen time on Ep. III.

4. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    After some reflection (much more than I feel this really deserves...) here's another choice:

3) We're proving what tools of the entertainment industry we really are...

If you are angry about this, I suggest directing it towards the p.r. group that leaked this info to MTV. They knew that news like this would not be considered irrelevant, and that it would generate loads of discussion, keeping the band's name in the public eye for free.

First off, "N'Sync" the entity is NOT appearing in this movie. Anyone who claims they are is oversimplifying and objectifying the guys who are the singing/stage elements of this pop group.

Do you think these people were created in some sort of cloning factory (in which case they provide a neat little tie-in to the title...), and have no existence other than what they do when scripted in front of cameras or on stage/in the recording studio?

Well, how could this be the case? Everyone you think you know is something more than the appearance provided by your limited perceptions of them. After all, there's more to all of us than just being Star Wars fans. It's patently ridiculous to delimit a human being to whatever label their chosen occupation/hobby/etc. is. This is a silly high-school sort of mentality similar to saying,"So-and-so's just a dork/geek/jock/nerd/etc. They'll never be worth anything, they're not cool like me, blah blah blah..."

By de-personifying the singers, and lumping them together as "NSync" you are playing right into the hands of their marketers and working to continue the success and support of something many here would claim to not want to support at all...imo that's what's really cheesy and cheapening us here...we're being worked into a frenzy and co-opted into supporting the perpetuation of something we would normally despise.

Evidently at least a couple of these kids are Star Wars fans. Who among us would not have jumped at the chance to be an extra?
    But it's Biff, Chad, Frodo, whoever, who are the extras, not the glitterfluff entity known as "NSync"
    Honestly...

And these individuals are part of a crowd included as space-filling extras. It's not even a speaking cameo. They're part of a fighting crowd, and if you don't know what they look like, and if you avoid falling into their p.r. team's trap and remember it's not some boy band but some fans who were fortunate enough to get to play extras (along with the ILM crew, though I guess they are mere peons and not worth our loathing and jealousy...), then whatever extras are in this particular battle scene will not make a whit of difference. There will be so much going on during that point, I daresay you'll forget it anyway...

imo, the uproar over this is comparably silly to an Italian complaining about the Caserta Palace being in the Naboo sequences in Ep I, or complaining about the words "tractor beam" being on the controls Obi-Wan deactivates in IV, the use of arid-environment lizards in the Dagobah swamp scenes in V, the left-right flip-flopping of shots that happens throughout the films, or any other production minutiae you may want to quibble about.

It really has no bearing on the larger story, unless you let the politics of the production cloud your perception of the films themselves. This is a big-time case of mountains being made from molehills, making molasses of us all ;)

Sorry, I've just read several ludicrous, venomous, and short-sighted responses to this story from people that seem to have such a narrow definition of satisfaction that it's amazing to me that they find their lives worth enough to continue drawing breath...

LOL, life is stranger than fiction...if you had told me ten years ago that I'd be defending the appearance of members of a marketed-to-death pop band in a Star Wars movie, I'd have called you a liar...

5. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    WOW! Extremely well thought out rant Bri

....but I still like my idea better. Besides I've already made Kurgan an appointment at Aveda Salon and Spa for a complete make over. I told them Stone and Morpheus would split the tab, which by my reconning comes to around 5K a piece. It would have been considerably cheaper had I left out the round the clock herbal colonics, but I insisted, nothing but the best for Ol' Kurgan. It'll be our last chance it's Ep.III after all.

6. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I couldn't disagree more with the esteemed NC.
    The only tool of the industry here is Lucasfilm (IMO), who let themselves fall to the commodification of everything in our society and the ubiquitous nature of advertising.
    I know several people who are upset about this and not one of them is what I'd call a short sighted fanboy.

Get them out, get them out now, even if it's a nanosecond of film.

7. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    NSYUC or N(whatever) wasn't good ole GL's decision...if anybody is to be blamed it shall be Rick's...it was his decision

8. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Agreed on that point.
    RM is not an artist, he's probably never created anything. I can totally see him thinking it was a 'cute' idea.

9. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    If this kind of thing bothers people this much, then they obviously already want to hate the movie SO MUCH, that they have no business seeing it in the first place.

If you don't like it, DON'T SEE IT, DAMMIT!!!

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head, and I am sick to the point of murder of the endless bitching.

Everyone has a choice here. No one has to go see it if they don't want to. And as far as I'm concerned, if you go see a film just to bash it and then complain even more about something you supposedly care about, then you're a bigger loser than I am.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Incorrect, I'm a Phantom Menace defender extraordinaire which makes it unlikely I'm one of those malcontents hoping Ep II sucks or wanting to not like it.
    I just think this crosses a certain line and so do many others who aren't 14 yr old boy band haters or SW 'fans' who really just want to bash it at heart.

11. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Waaah. My heart bleeds for all of the poor fans that have had the movie ruined for them because of a background cameo.

12. DarthRain

DarthRain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2000
    Holy JEEZ !!!

I'm an extra in Episode II ?!?!?!

According to Brian...

"Who among us would not have jumped at the chance to be an extra?
    But it's Biff, Chad, Frodo, whoever, who are the extras, not the glitterfluff entity known as "NSync"
    Honestly..."

When was i gonna find out about this ????

13. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Okay, guys, simmer down now...let's try keeping it civil.

Don't want a civil war on our hands...though I guess wars have been started over lesser things...maybe.

EDIT: You didn't know, Chad :eek:

Yeah, you're in the scene with Elijah Wood, Gwen Stefani, and Harry Knowles. The star power of AOTC is going to be unbelievable :D

Well, guess I shouldn'ta let the cat outta the bag [face_blush]

14. Skippy_The_Klingon

Skippy_The_Klingon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    If Lucas wants to appease on all the fans, he'll arrange a cameo appearance for Kevin Smith :)

The other problem from this situation is that the die-hard Trekkers will be holding this over the SW fans heads for years to come.

15. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I'd rather a cameo writting appearance by Lawrence Kasdan. But that's just me.

Hey, you know what would be awesome? A cameo by M'Buna!!

16. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Whooaaa!! Everything was running smoothly, talk of civil war, Kurgans make over and all, and Morpheus brings up He-who-must-not-be-named. I thought he and his Death Eaters had disappeared after the exchange of "curses" with Morpheus, that dark night long ago.

17. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    Yeah, I blame RM for being an ass.

Like I said elsewhere, these guys have never stated that they like SW, let alone even write a song about it. If that were the case then Weird Al deserves that spot, not the bubble gum band.

heh.

18. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Well, Star Trek has had a whole episode (not brief extra-type appearances, but a *whole episode* mind you) of an already-embarrassing show (i.e. Voyager) that featured a pro wrestler.

In comparison, if you feel like you have to look at it in an "oh my God, how could they do this" fashion, it doesn't sound to me like Trek has much over SW at all... ;)

19. Skippy_The_Klingon

Skippy_The_Klingon Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Another big question; are we going to have NSync Jedi Boy Band action figures? After all, every extra that's had even a second of screen time ends up getting imortalized in plastic.

20. RayParkFan

RayParkFan Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2001
    wonders if they will play in the cantina on tat......hmmmm

21. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    This comes from TFN

"This morning we've received numerous reports that N'Sync will NOT be in Episode II, with many TFN readers alerting us to this story at Ananova.
    Apparently, it's true: N'Sync has been cut from "Attack Of The Clones", being confirmed by no less an authority than N'Sync's Joey Fatone. On the Carson Radio Show on 99.3 FLZ:

FATONE: "I'm going to make it officially known that they dropped it because people made a big deal about it".

The terms that come to mind are:Tempest in a teacup or perhaps Much ado about nothing

That's all I got to say about that.

22. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Agreed.

Seems to me that sticking the boys in there was more of a Rick-McCallum-spur-of-the-moment-that-would-be-[censored]-cool kind of thing anyway...vetoed by Lucas after the fact...

At least we still have Michael Jackson ;)

23. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    GL saved us in the end :)

24. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 1999
    Hi,
    I'm new here. Hmmm...I'll believe it when I see it. Unless LF releases a statement on it, then I'll wait for the film. This could just be the NSYNC guy trying to calm folks down and is embarrased about the treatment of the situation.

25. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    GL is and always be the MAN in my opinion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.