main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I can't believe they cut the footage with Padme's family...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalStutter, Jan 14, 2015.

1. EternalStutter

EternalStutter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2015
    Watching that deleted scene now just angers me.
    It gave us quite a bit of character development, as well as more fuel in the "love flame" between Anakin and Padme...which this film desperately needed.
    I understand why they cut it...but it's only 3.5 minutes George...it couldnt have slowed down your movie THAT much.

ARG!

Starts at 3;35

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Those scenes were great. I don't know why they got cut either.

3. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Actually, the pacing would really have dragged if they had kept those scenes in.

I get why people like them as it gives characterization, but besides being my favourite out the PT', it's pacing isn't the best.

Antpocalypse and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    I'm an editor myself and I'm always shocked at the things producers decide to cut. It boggles my mind at times

5. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    It could have easily been cut down.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Amen! Those scenes never should have been cut.

Beautiful_Disaster likes this.
  7. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Well I'm not an editor by any means,

but I'm telling you that for me keeping those scenes in would have slowed the film down even more for me, as was the reason (I believe, haven't scene the deleted scenes commentary in awhile) the scenes were cut, I just happen to agree with that decision personally.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I've always liked those deleted scenes, despite the fact it'd make the movie's pacing slightly longer.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not so much disappointed, just feels like a bit of a missed opportunity that they left these out, especially considering the emotional punch that it could have added for the end of ROTS for most of the audience.

Not only does is slow AOTC down a bit, it gives a bit more of a "human" side to the courtship of Padme - she and Anakin don't leap from fantastic palace to tragedy and screaming to enormous action sequence to wedding without something a bit more..real. While many of us can identify with the tragedy of losing a parent, nearly all of us who have dated and/or married have gone through the "meet the parents" phase. I think this was a victim of GL's infamous "faster and more intense" mindset, but I'm happy that we got to see it as a finished scene, regardless.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, I really don't care for these scenes. They add nothing more than weirdness to the saga, now. It's not like Luke and Leia will look the Naberries up, anyway, so why bother with it?

Padme should have been orphaned, thus making her the queen at a young age. Instead, she's this teenage girl from a family with no nobility. How she won the election to rule a planet is beyond me. Padme is one of the worst portrayed characters in the prequels and the best thing they did was leave out these pointless scenes.

11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I like the scene for the character development, but I do agree when people say it kinda slows down the movie. Sure, it's only 3 minutes, but 3 minutes is a long time when it's a scene that doesn't fully further the plot.... I feel like there's enough of those already in the PT.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    EternalStutter Please read the pinned thread concerning double posts. Where possible, please use the edit function.

Aside, I love your avatar.

13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I''ll never understand why either, quite a few of the deleted scenes from this movie should've stayed, it would've been better.

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The cut "family" scenes do add a bit more texture and humanity to the film, but I wouldn't say they're essential.

The essential scenes are the ones in the movie.

I do love Hayden in the dinner scene, though. Look at Anakin's face when he first sees the inside of the house (and its occupants).

Would have been good to have these scenes. But again, not essential, in my view.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because of character development, the scene should have been left in, and cut a couple of minutes from the Obi-Wan/Jango fight if necessary.

Ewok Poet, TX-20 and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Hey! Every single second of the Obi-Wan/Jango fight was necessary :p

I like these scenes too, but I never missed them the eight times I went to see AOTC in 2002 and I've never missed them since I learned of their existence, either.
    The finished film gets the point across in a more condensed manner and I actually like that. It's in line with Star Wars tradition. You know, faster, more intense. It also fits the Anakin/Padmé relationship, which is quite intense. They rush into it and suffer the consequences.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed!!! :p

No, but really, "a couple of minutes" is practically all of their fight, or all of their fisticuffs, at least.

The fight injects an edgy, fun vibe (even though it's a fight ;) ), and punches up the film a little ahead of a sober passage on Tatooine (though there is also the asteroid/planetary ring chase).

I kind of like seeing a scrap in the rain, between vain, aggressive, territorial humans, as a contrast with the implacably polite Kaminoans, just outside of their cloning facility, too. Something delightfully absurd about it.

And it symbolically depicts the interdependency of the Jedi and lawless bounty hunters and other assorted creeps. The interlinking is quite pointed when Obi-Wan becomes ensnared by Jango's cable, kicks him over the edge, and then realizes that he's going over, too.

That's a very smart point. And AOTC is a very pictorially and thematically dense movie. I can see why George decided trying to incorporate these scenes was, ultimately, more trouble than it was worth.

But the scenes are still neat in their own way. While they are sort of Padme-centric, I like how Anakin's own pursuit is shaded a bit more as well. For instance, his admiration for Padme's home, and her family, could inform part of his honesty about the political process in the meadow scene.

I mean, if everyone can get to live in a house like that, with people like that, enjoying an honest, wholesome meal, who wouldn't take five minutes to bash the present system, if that system is in some way responsible for depriving others of those simple luxuries?

AOTC is an even deeper story with those scenes, but just because they're on the fringe, doesn't mean they're not "in" the movie. We also have to be careful about repeating the mistake of Jocasta. "If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist." What's fully there is not all that's there.

The truth is a fragmented mosaic. :)

Antpocalypse and Lulu Mars like this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Wow. Seriously, wow. You deserve this, Cryo: =D=
    This part of the fight is really quite simple and it probably took George about 2.5 seconds to come up with it, but when you think about it symbolically, it speaks volumes.
    Thanks for pointing it out!

19. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Thanks very much!

The observation is not original, though, and can be traced back to this multifarious essay:

http://www.lardbiscuit.com/lard/shroud4.html

Extract follows:

During the struggle, Jango snares Obi-Wan with his grappling cable. Obi-Wan subsequently knocks the bounty hunter over the edge of the landing platform toward the ocean below. Too late, Obi-Wan remembers that he's still tethered to his plummeting adversary: "Not good!" Now we're back to the recurring descent imagery, and in this instance, a person falling drags someone else down with him. The cable represents a bond between two people which ties them together so tightly that a misfortune befalling one of them equally affects the other. This could be a foreshadowing of how Anakin's fall to the dark side will threaten to pull Obi-Wan down with him. Or the "relationship" formed here could even serve as a parallel for the perilous romantic bond developing between Anakin and Padme.

Clones offers the best symbolism of the series -- in my opinion.

Tonyg and Lulu Mars like this.
  20. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    So you preferred having an underdeveloped love story between two underdeveloped characters? You truly think 3 minutes of a fairly well acted scene with character development would hurt the movie?

TX-20 likes this.
  21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    personally i didn't think they were great. They walk in and barely get an introduction before sitting down to dinner and the dialogue consists of 'if you're hungry you've come to the right place at the right time"
    a scene with her family would have been good, but i really don't think what they filmed was all that great.

22. EternalStutter

Jan 5, 2015
    Can you honestly tell me that any of the other "romance" scenes we're better?

TX-20 likes this.
  23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the way i see it one of the complaints on ATOC is it drags in some scenes, and i don't think adding more scene's that drag would help. if they were done better, Yes, i think there should have been more 'light' scenes with Anakin and Padme.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    First how some view/interpret well developed character development differs as do how ones sees pacing. Been a while since I saw those till just now and it really does drag. Different texture than most of the film too it has no flow. I can see why it was cut.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    QFT.

JEDI-RISING likes this.