main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I can't possibly be the only one

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    You're not alone, not by a longshot. They're all six masterpieces in my book. A few of them are misunderstood masterpieces, but time will vindicate their value.

Darthman92, B3, Tonyg and 4 others like this.
  2. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    For a while I thought this thread was actually going to avoid the endless arguments that seem to infest too many other threads. How has it gone from a question about whether people enjoy all six movies to a dispute about Lucas' original 'vision' for the saga? Is it possible to get the thread back on track, please? :)

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    It's like a support group for victims of violent crime. Maybe one day you can free yourself of Stockholm Syndrome ;)

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    [​IMG]
    (Random prequel observation: that wall and its assortment of wall-hanging things reminds me of the stuff hanging on or affixed to Anakin's bedroom wall in TPM)

You must not *really* be talking to me; unless you mean to be polemically trashing all fansites, of all subjects/subject matter, whenever and wherever they may spring.

Your "Stockholm Syndrome" charge more readily applies to people burned by modern Star Wars, in my opinion, but who feel the need to endlessly congregate on Star Wars boards, including prequel forums, regardless.

Therapy -- ain't it grand?*

*In the style of Lars_Muul

Andy Wylde and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  5. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I think you've just identified a new condition. Coruscant Syndrome? ;)

Mostly Handless and Cryogenic like this.
  6. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I have Jar Jar Syndrome, Portman Syndrome, and quite a few others!

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Certainly none of the SW films are perfect--even ROTS, ANH and TESB--but I would unabashedly list off a number of movies that achieve this feat. (Ever see the first two Godfather films? I'm at a loss to think of a blemish, let alone a glaring flaw.)

Anyway, I have greater affection for Revenge of the Sith than I do for most of my relatives. Disturbing implications aside, Lucas did right by me.

Tonyg, Seagoat and Darth_Martus like this.
  8. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well said, sir!

Seagoat and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    The street-beating scene in the first movie is not the most convincing street-beating scene in the world, IMO.

That should totally be on the 3D poster!

10. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Makes perfect sense to me - after all, relatives are relatives but Star Wars is life! :D

11. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I'm not even being facetious; my Christmas dinners would drastically improve if my aunt regaled me with the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise instead of the tragedy of her bowel movements.

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know if "outspokenness" is the word I would use; I think it is a bunch of self-righteous whining.

I think the PT is great in its own way, and love the SW series as a whole. I am least a fan of TPM in the whole series, but I don't hate it. It was an entertaining movie, I just have expectations of SW to be great movies.

Yes, many of the "flaws" that are harped on are actually aspects of the PT that are common with the OT; the campy dialogue is in all SW movies, and is intended to be that way (it cracks me up to no end the way people go on and on about the dialogue in the PT on this site, as if the OT has dialogue right out of "The Godfather" or something, LOL). That is the way the movies/stories that influenced George are, including the trite love stories. Look at Flash Grodon and his girl ("Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth!); this is a part of the movies' feel that makes them great.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  13. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I enjoy all six films. Sure I have "favorites," but to me they encompass one big story and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Yancy

14. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Wars is Star Wars.

15. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Alderaan Syndrome. We weren't just burned we were shot with the friggin Death Star.

16. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    That's the way it is! All the episodes are yummy.

- You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?
    - Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father.

/LM

Darth_Martus and Palpatine2016 like this.
  17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The nice thing about conformism is that if there's no majority opinion to conform to, you can just make one up.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    I like all 6 (7 if you include the CW). Sure there are flaws (The OT also has many), sure there are flaws in the CW, sure there are flaws in the EU.... but what the hell, its all fun and entertainment. There's a lot more good then bad. As someone said above, Star Wars is Star Wars and I just want more Star Wars :D

Mostly Handless and Valairy Scot like this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think there's a few glimmers of brilliance in the overall script of the PT, most notably Palpatine and his ability to hide right under the noses of the Jedi Council. But the way the PT turned out, I just really dislike...

20. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    No, you're definitely not the only one, and it's SO refreshing to see/hear someone stand up and say it! I agree with you entirely! While I do have a favourite from the saga (Episode I), I more or less love the films as a whole, and view the saga as a complete masterpiece, which would not be so were one film missing.

I don't let my experience be negatively affected by something that is or isn't missing or out of place, simply because I don't think it's my place to do so. This is Lucas' vision, not mine; his story, not ours, and we should just be grateful that he's shared it with us. The OT and PT are both masterpieces for different reasons; they cover two areas of time and tell two different stories, and I think they work together brilliantly to build one whole picture. While even a masterpiece has its flaws, I can't understand it when Star Wars fans can be so mercilessly critical and harsh on something they love so much.

Very well said!

21. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree with you. All six movies are flawed, but wonderful movies that make up one of the best sci-fi/fantasy sagas ever.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  22. LordDlow

LordDlow Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    You can't have a fanbase like Star Wars and not have critics everywhere, sure the Films weren't what we all wanted, my Perfect ideas for them would have tons of critics I'm sure, ROTS was probably the best, my only real complaint was I think Lucas kept pushing alot back till Sith and then had to finish a TON of stuff in 1 film. I would have started the Prequals with Anakin already a Jedi, not a young boy.

23. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Youre probably in a very small minority and maybe even you are alone. But there are a lot of people like me who view all six to be in generally the same ball park of good quality. And that is good enough for me and should be good enough for everybody. Filmmakers are human and make mistakes. It would be rediculous to expect all six films to be masterpieces. In my opinion, none of the movies are disasterous sequels like Robocop 2 and 3 or Highlander 2 and 3. Theyre all acceptable additions to the saga. And none of them are even outliers like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. They all meet the same standard in general. Ofcourse, I dont think any of the individual films has as strong enough story to be called a masterpiece. Though I think if you wanted to cheat and consider all 6 movies as one big 13 hour movie you could consider that a masterpiece. Its almost like Citezin Kane set in the SW universe.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  24. Scimitar13

Scimitar13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013
    I like all six films, and I am sure I shall enjoy the new ones as well. I may have some that I consider my favorites but I like all six. I see it as all part of one story. I have a friend who is that way as well, so you are not alone.

25. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    I very much agree with you, even though I don't like AOTC that much compared to the others, but it has it's strong spots AND flaws, as every Star Wars film does. I like all six Star Wars films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.