main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

::I can't sew w/out a pattern::

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by darth_avery, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_avery

darth_avery Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    i'm literally deficient. i've tried sewing with out a pattern and the best i can to is a pillow.....where is a place where i can get patterns (i have the Simplicity padme picnic dress and the jedi costume) for SW costumes. any costume will do.....are there people that custome make patters and sell them? help! i need costumes for ComiCon 2003 in July.

-avery

2. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, what patterns do you need? Most, if not all, SW costumes can be made from a modified, commercially available pattern.

Just like there's the Padme pattern you mention, there is a Jedi pattern. Jedi garb can also be made from Karate/Kimono patterns.

Imperial Officer comes from a Civil War pattern.

X-Wing pilot can come from a "Grease" pattern (although it's now out of print, so you'll have to hunt on eBay).

It's just a matter of looking through the pattern books at the fabric stores and finding items similar to what you want to make.

3. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Is there a specific costume you are looking for help with? Many people have started with standard patterns, but modified them as needed.

~H~

4. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    It just takes practice to be able to sew without a pattern. Really, you'll end up creating your own pattern, rather than actually sewing without any pattern at all. At least, most people do. I start off with some sort of pattern for sizing, then heavily modify just about everything. I think I can name two things I've sewn in the past year that actually just went by the pattern.

Ask about some specific costumes and you'll get some specific pattern numbers to start with. You'll want to create a mock-up out of the cheapest material you can find. After you do that, you'll see more changes you want to make. Then you can sew your costume out of your better material.

5. Delaya

Delaya Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    Simplicity has a new pattern that looks like it is supposed to be a SW Jedi pattern. It's #5848. Not sure how good it is. I used a different one for my Jedi, but they no longer carry that one.

6. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Ah, perhaps 5848 was a typo? I put that into the Simplicity website's design search and it came up as toddler animal costumes. The Simplicity Star Wars-wanna be one that came out around Halloween is 5840.

I have articles on my website which list all the patterns I've used.

It all depends on how movie-accurate you want to be. I bought 5840 when it was on sale for $1 as I wouldn't pay more for it. It is my opinion that the only part of it that is close to move-accurate is the over tunic. The undertunic isn't...it's a silly looking dickie. The tabards aren't correct.

Most recently, I've used McCall?s pattern 2940, which includes a gi pattern as well as kimonos.

For the robe, I've only used WilliQueen's pattern based on a cloak from Amber's Jedi Meditation chamber

7. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    here is my goal list of costumes before i display them for ComiCon in July (this is an impractical list):

-Anakin AoTC (or bultar swan)+cloak
    -Padme white arena and cape
    -Padme Light Blue Tatooine 2pc.
    -Padme royal blue Tatooine dress

thanks for all the responses! i appreciated it!

edit1- I'm buying costumes too and modifying them. i bought a orange flight suit for my xwing pilot costume from an army surplus website. i'm also making a pattern for princess leia boots. i didn't like the boots the costume came with. besides, they can double for padme boots.

8. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    For the Padme/Princess Leia White Boots, you can try to get one of those White Boots or Marching Band boots. There is a link for it somewhere in the Padme AOTC Battle Outfit (just lookout for a picture of boots; the link is somewhere in that post or before/after it). ;) Personally, I used/gonna use an Ankel High boots (that got Black Soles) for both, gotten from a local shoes store cheaply.

9. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    That thread is sooo long. :)

I'm not sure if this is the same link or not, but I'll post it here anyway.

http://www.dinkles.com/boots.html

10. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    You can also use majorette boots, if you'd rather have ankle-high boots or if your calves don't fit nicely into knee-highs. Worked like a dream for my best friend. :)

11. Jedi-Nitess

Jedi-Nitess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    You may wanna stop in a JoAnn's if you have one near you. Next month in the New York area (at least my area of NY) they're offering pattern making classes. They're free and the class is about an hour long. You'll have to sign up in advance and if I read the flyer right you get three free patterns if you take the class.

I don't know any other details, as the paper I saw was pretty vague, but ya might wanna keep a look out anyway.

Good luck! :D

12. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Hancock's is also having something similar, a 2 1/2-hour class for $5, which also includes a few patterns and 2 videos. They're in the state of Alabama during March, but I don't know where else the classes will be, if it's done by a travelling group.

13. darth_avery

May 22, 2002
    i have a JoAnn's near me and i think a Hancock too, so i'll inquire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.