main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I can't tell JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon apart

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    He read the plot on Wikipedia, and it sounded stupid.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've not had a chance to watch it, no. But I have seen some of his other shows, sometimes for the entire run of the series. I was also able to observe the marketing for Dollhouse, which the Washington Post reviewer was criticizing. I appreciate that he tries to feature female characters. But I feel that in many of of those characters have their sexuality and emotional vulnerability highlighted in ways that reinforce stereotypes about women.

Again, look at Dollhouse itself: a young, pliable female who can be essentially reprogrammed to fulfill your every desire. You can't even call that a subtext. There's just a blatantly sexual implication there.

harps: Apologies. Ask a bounty within my power, and I will grant it to you.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Uh no, they don't. What shows are you watching?

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    See, but you need to look past, "ohh boobies" and see the depth that he gives his female characters. Yes, some of the dolls were programmed for sex (the dolls weren't all female, by the way), but there was a lot more to the show than that. You can't really criticize something you are not familiar with. Whedon is a total feminist. You need to give him a chance before you blindly criticize him.

5. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Plus, the fact that it was prostitution, and seriously wrong, was the entire point of the show. It was repeatedly pointed out that the Dollhouse was not a good thing, and that the people who work there were only marginally less evil than the people who had other plans for the technology.

The show also made and interesting point about the fact that, when technology is invented, it will affect the world in a big way, and can't be un-invented. It was a very thought-provoking show, with excellent performances from its supporting cast: Olivia Williams, Dichen Lachman, Summer Glau, Tahmoh Penikett, and, most impressively, Enver Gjokaj. That man was awesome. He played twelve characters. Twelve. And they were all played well.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Juliet316 like this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    And this is where you fail. Let's be completely clear, Joss created and wrote the show, Fox did all the marketing and forced him to make some alterations at the start to suit what they thought would bring in viewers. Ideas which Joss has said he was against from the start, and which he was able to downplay and then turn on the head later on in some great retro-active re-writing. All of this was detailed in articles and interviews, even before the show aired.

You haven't watched the show. You haven't done any more research than a single critics review (and they of course are completely unbiased sources). Yet you want to cast aspersions about a writer/director/producer labeling him as sexist based purely on a third party's selective narrative about his work that was designed to create an appeal to a stereotyped idea of a demographic? I would have thought anyone with more than two neurons would be able to see the immense flaw in doing that.

Edit: Oh, and half the dolls are male. And the doll that is used the most blatantly in a "prostitution"-type way? Male.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Including the memorable Kiki! :-D

(I couldn't find a clip that wasn't part of a fanvid)

8. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Kiki was hilarious. Especially when Ballard had to pretend to be 'her' boyfriend to get out of the club. I rarely LOL when watching a show, bu that put me in hysterics.

Dingo is completely correct about the ads. Basing your view of a show on ads and reviews without watching it puts you in the same class as the people who decried Mass Effect as an alien rape-simulator without having played it.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This was my pre-emptive Danthe parody thread.

Ramza likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Jerry Seinfeld and Paul Reiser, for years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Which one's the director of Star Wars again?

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    WDNDSWIJCC

Also since I missed this thread the first time apparently:
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Firefly and Serenity are perfect templates for next gen Star Wars, so I couldn't be happier

jp-30 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Ugh, lens flare. Apparently Affleck was also considered. He doesn't have experience with that kind of film, but I would have much rather had him.

And I'm making that comment here because I'll be damned if I'm venturing back into the Mustafar (MAYBE IT WILL BE IN THE FILM YOU GUYZ) that is the Episode VII forum.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Congrats Joss!

Adam of Nuchtern, Darth Guy and jp-30 like this.
  16. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    wanna bonk their heads together so, so hard.

AaylaSecurOWNED and tom like this.
  17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    JJ will do Star Wars Ep7, Joss will do 9.

18. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    what are you serious

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Abrams is likely going to do VII (I'm not sure if you are serious), but I doubt anyone's going to be lined up for the next two any time soon.

20. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I bet they shoot all 3 at the same time.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  21. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    yeah that's a common thing. but no, this is the first i've heard of this. i probably should have read this thread first or something but c'mon.

anyway, horrible, horrible, horrible news.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: And it's not all that common. Wasn't LotR the only one to shoot three at once? PotC, Matrix, and Harry Potter did two.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  23. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    dude, you're pretty handsome

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I know.

25. AAAAAH

Nov 8, 2012
    no i meant that people not knowing if i am serious is common. and you just had to go and ruin the effect, didn't you? don't you want mystery in your life?