main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY I-CON 25: March 24-26, 2006

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Moorglade, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    I-CON is only a few weeks away. And we have no thread yet! :eek:

Details so far:

2. The DB516 table will be in the dealers room this year.

3. AeroSith will be playing Masquerade again.

4. We working on a live chess game, with costumers from different fandoms, most likely for Saturday. Anyone interested in participating should email scifichess@db516.com to sign up.

5. Clive "Dolt" has a fan film presentation on Sat from 2-4, and is part of panel on indie films at 1.

6. Other plans include DB516 hosting a panel on costuming, and an AeroSith autograph signing on Sunday.

7. Did I miss anything? :D

8. MasterSifo-Dyas

MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    Listen to Destinies: The Voice of Science Fiction Radio show. AeroSith's performance at the I-Con 24 (last year, 2005) masquerade headlines Destinies' "I-Con 25 Performers Preview" show this Friday, March 10, at 11:30 PM on 90.1 FM, WUSB, Stony Brook, NY. People can listen online. Goto Aerosith.com for the link to the streaming radio.
    --Billy

9. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I've got plenty of questions, but since our meeting is 2 days away I'll hold off and ask them there. :)

10. RnRJedi007

RnRJedi007 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2003
    I hope we start on time. Since I have to leave
    to close work. :_| . I'll have to jet
    between 2 & 2:30pm.

11. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Where do they hold the masquerade party anyway???

12. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    The Masquerade is in the official Con hotel - Holiday Inn Ronkonkoma. The Con winds down at the University at about 8 PM and everybody goes over to the hotel to continue the party . Masquerade is always lots of fun. Media Guests usually judge the contest and one of them acts as Emcee. --Billy

13. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Oh good...that's where I got my hotel booked :)

14. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    You're at the hotel too, Mike? w00t! :D

15. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    Why don't you come up and see me some time. ;)

16. Moorglade

Moorglade Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2002
    There was an event I forgot to add! I knew it! :oops:

17. Ken Deep will be hosting the Doctor Who: Podshock on Sunday afternoon in Javitis 108.

18. :D

19. PlayzOboe

PlayzOboe Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Anything interesting happening on Sunday??? Unfortunately my audition was rescheduled for the 25th and it's the LAST ONE, so there's no missing this one unless I want to wait another year :_| Luckily it's at 3:30p so I should be out by 4ish which means I can make it down there in time definitely for some Masquerade partying and such

20. Dolt

Dolt Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2004
    To quote some famous smuggler, "I got a bad feeling about this..."

The Schedule PDF on the I-Con website lists my program with a mere *7* words, yet manages to screw up four separate things:

1. The time is wrong. My program is 2:30-4:30, and they have as 2-4.
    2. It ain't a panel.
    3. It just says it's "fan films," no mention of Star Wars anywhere. That's like saying I-Con is a convention--might be a convention of needlepointers from Missouri, but it doesn't actually matter what the con is about, right?
    4. My name is not, has never been and never will be Clive Yang-Young.

These people must be smoking crack. How freakin' hard is it to cut and paste "Star Wars fan films, hosted by Clive Young"? I've written in to complain, but at this late date, I'm sure they're not going to do a damn thing and it'll end up in the convention program like this. This is all on top of the screw-up I had to complain about last week, where in the film section, they cheerily noted that I was showing Star TREK fan films. Just watch--they'll tell me I was misinformed and that my time really is from 2-4, now that this afternoon I priority mailed off 100 flyers to Rob so that they'll be on the DB516 table on Friday night. Unbelievable.

I hope this isn't a portent of things to come and that everything will go swimmingly from here on out, but so far, I'm pretty damn unimpressed and I haven't even gone to the convention yet!

21. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002

However, you now have a new nickname! ;)

In the Film section of the I-CON website they seem to have everything correct.

BTW, welcome to the I-CON experiance. :)

22. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Clive,I guess that's why they call it March Madness.
    I got the flyers yesterday. I will start handing
    them out Friday:D .Btw, great job on them.

23. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    Dont worry anout it Yang. :p

I-CON seems to be completely F.U.B.A.R. to me this year, but somehow they always manage to pull things off. Even if they have to pull things out of their colective ass to do it.

I just hope I-CON hasn't F---ed over the Chess event we were trying to set up for the past several months.

But for some reason I too have a bad feeling about this.

24. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    For all my complaining, turns out other people get getting stuck even worse:

A month ago, I found out they're showing an hour-long SW fan film on Saturday night, so I contacted the filmmaker and offered to run his trailer during my program, just to be nice. He sent me the DVD and mentioned that he and his crew would be doing a Q&A after the screening--pretty cool, right?

Last night, I check my email and find two messages from the guy. In the first one, he basically asks "hey, you didn't tell me you were doing a panel; can I be on it?" [face_whistling]

But in the second email, sent an hour later, the story gets darker. He had just been informed that because of internal "miscommunication" at I-Con, there are suddenly no passes for him and his crew; they will have to pay to get in. These guys are driving from the very bottom of New Jersey--a 3-4 hour trip to Stony Brook--to supply I-Con with free programming (after promoing the appearance on their website and various fan film sites for months) and through no fault of their own, now have to fork up a full day-of-show rate of $50 each for the honor of showing their movie. If it was me, I'd say F 'em, but amazingly, he's still coming to the Con.

25. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    ...the frell?? Holy crap. What the kriff are the I-CON staff smoking? Did they leave the job up to a bunch of monkeys? No, wait, the monkeys would probably do better. :rolleyes:

I know what's wrong--they have a rave troll! 8-}

26. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    It's good to know that all those guys who were fired from FEMA after Katrina found something to do with all their newfound free time.

27. ThePariah

Jan 24, 2003
    BWAH!

Good one, dude. :p

28. cyranodb

Aug 26, 2001
    i think i'm skipping I-con next year. I'm losng my taste for it. [face_tired]

29. TheBothanJedi

TheBothanJedi Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2004
    It's good to know that all those guys who were fired from FEMA after Katrina found something to do with all their newfound free time.

That really shouldn't be funny.

30. Dolt

Sep 24, 2004
    As I write this, you guys are probably mere minutes away from killin' the crowds as Aerosith. Wish I was there, believe me. With Ava in tow, a late night just wasn't in the cards. The CDs and the updated website look great, too, so I'm sure you guys are gonna do great.

For the short time that I got to be there, I actually (surprisingly given the run up to it) had a great time at I-Con. Hopefully next year, I'll get to present again, and can try to arrange to spend the day out there so I can help staff the DB516 booth and such. As it was, the few seconds we had on show floor were spent hanging ever so briefly at the booth, and then it was off to Javits; never got to sift through the other booths, check out any of the other presentations or anything (heck, I never even ate lunch!). I would have liked to have come back over after I was done, but Mish had been looking after the rambunctious little one by herself for 3 hours and that'll demolish anyone, so it was only fair to Mish that we call it a day. I hope the rest of the day went well and that tomorrow goes well!

31. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Clive,Not everyone can help or do as much as they
    like all the time. Any help is good. Your out
    spreading the SW word.:D BTW, everyone He
    had great Fan film show. Minus he evil "One
    Season More" LOL!!! Clive, We might have ICON 25
    Aerosith DVD Viewing party (when its finished)at
    my place. Will talk more about this at next meeting.
    You did miss a great show. But , that why we taped it.
    This was my 1st X seeing the guys live. It Rocked!!!
    Well, i have go now and rest the few brain sells that
    i have left from the week (got back from Trip from FL
    on MOnday).

I'm out
    T-KAOS

32. RnRJedi007

Oct 20, 2003
    Hi everyone. I had blast this weekend. But I'm
    dead tried.[face_tired] It was so hard to leaving for work
    Sunday afternoon. I wanted to stay to the end. I
    cant believe I was the first one at table Sat &
    Sun morning. Caffenie [face_coffee] made me survive
    the weekend. After I looked & felt out down and
    out the nights before. Billy I E mailed the pix
    I took to you this morning. Kenny The pix of you &
    Sulu is in your mail box [face_mischief]

33. MasterSifo-Dyas

Oct 1, 2002
    Wow! I-CON 25 was the best of all of them for me so far. It was trememendous fun hanging out with all the DB516 members at the table in the dealers room and doing the AeroSith show. Cant wait 'til next year now.
    Does anyone have photos that they can send me? We have no photos of the AeroSith performance (even if for now you can e-mail the few best ones you have). People are asking for AeroSith photos for the site.
    Also send me any DB516 photos and Triss can put em up on DB516.com.
    Send to davistb@aol.com
    Thanks --Billy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.