main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I don't have much to say about ROTS and SW right now

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Garth Maul, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Weird - I thought after ROTS came out, I'd be posting like crazy for a few months after, with so much to talk about.

But now that the film has been out for a couple of weeks, I'm already finding myself with less to say.

I guess one main and obvious reason is that ROTS is the end (and the beginning); pretty much everything is really tied up, other than a few cool ambiguous things. Other than "I liked this but didn't like that" type threads, I find I don't have much to say.

Anyone else feel like this? As phenomenal as ROTS is, do we just not have that much to talk about?

I know 3NS is merging with 3SA June 19th, so maybe I'm just already mentally and emotionally preparing myself for the end of 3NS. We are making plans to form a Rebel Alliance of sorts and to move elsewhere, but it won't be the same....

2. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well with the occasional exception, RotS was the movie that answered it all for us. I don't have much to discuss cause I know how I feel about things.
    What I was heavily interested in, was how YOU guys were going to like it, and now I know.
    Plus, it's easy to get a quick concensus as the movie didn't leave the hoped-for emotions very ambiguous :p
    OSB - fun/exciting
    R2 - funny
    Grievous - nice
    Order 66 - shocking/sad
    The duels - breathtaking
    Ending - sad/hopeful
    So, basically, you either feel that, or you don't, and if you don't, I probably don't see very eye-to-eye with you anyway so a discussion would be a trainwreck! lol
    But then, I've also been very busy. So when things slow down, who knows?

3. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    For me, I'm actually getting a little burnt out on the movie already!:eek: I know that sounds crazy since the movie just came out, but I've been thinking about it so much before it came out and now that I'm thinking about it a little less.

Also, I was more sad the second time I saw it than the first. Which leads me to think that I might watch this movie the least of all the saga because it's so sad. I don't know, I guess I just need a break!

4. qui_gon_jinn_83

qui_gon_jinn_83 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I also don't have much to say anymore. Lots of stuff was obviously cleared up in this movie, so... I don't know. The saga is complete, and I'm finally beginning to realize that... Just leaves me with an empty feeling.

I still have things to say about the technical aspect of the film though. It's a beautiful film, and I can't wait until we have the "ROTS, chapter by chapter" discussion when the DVD arrives.

But yes, the biggest ride is definetely over. The time spent here the weeks before the ROTS release were something very special, and I will never ever forget that.

5. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I didn't give a whole lot of thought to the movie before it came out, I've only seen it once and I'm still reading the novelisation. I've carefully constructed my experience for the fullest enjoyment. ;)

There is a degree of melancholie, though, because there'll never be another movie. The saga is complete. And really, Lucas did a very good job at tying up the films, so we don't have a whole lot to argue about.

Don't be too depressed, though. There's always the TV show! And the EU! Fanfic, if you're desperate... :p

6. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Me, too. I've been following the Spoiler Forum box office thread very closely, that's about it. When I first got back from the theater I had a lot to say for a few days. But after chatting with everyone in here, most of my questions have been answered.

But, I actually haven't seen the film since the midnight opening show. I'm going this afternoon so we'll see if that gets me kick started again.

Honestly...while it is sad that I don't have as much to say...on the other hand it is nice to have my life back. To be truthful, for the first week or so after seeing it, I could not get the movie out of my head. It was an obsession beyond belief. It is nice to have my head back.

I think it is a post-partum depression type thing that we'll all get over. Once talk of the DVD starts up, then we'll have a TV show, the new cartoon. And then we'll have more rumors about the prequel prequel movie...

7. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    I was going to start a thread asking if anyone else was relieved that Star Wars (at least in movie form) was over. I didn't want it to seem like I was bashing the movies, so I didn't start it. But after devoting six years of attention to the movies it will be nice to spend that time I used to spend on posting, pics, spoilers, etc. on something else: writing, hobbies, school, etc... I'm finally burned out on Star Wars, but in a good way. It's run it course and now it's time to move on. I'll still discuss it, but's it's been downgraded from an obsession to a casual interest.

8. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I feel terribly inspired by ROTS*, sure there's so much less to speculate about, but it's still a new movie and I don't imagine getting bored of it anytime soon.

*sometimes I wish I could write fanfics and had more time for fanart... *sigh*

9. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Anyone else feel like this? As phenomenal as ROTS is, do we just not have that much to talk about?

Absolutely! I'm still coming to grips with it all being over. (Also, I'm still stunned by how powerful the film was.) I'm posting a little bit but have found that I also don't have much to say.

I'll miss this place when the merge happens. I don't post here much but lurk quite a bit.

10. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The hard part is that for the past 10 years we've had a Star Wars film to look forward to. Even when TPM and AOTC were over we could come back to the web and wonder "Hey, do you think Anakin will do X in the next movie? What will Palpatine do now?"

And now there is none of that. No more speculation. And that's what really drove our energy.

It seems that the spoiler forum is basically a haven of bashing and complaining about what they didn't like about ROTS - which seems to be everything. So I'll keep tracking the box office numbers, which is kind of fun, and then as summer turns to fall I just really don't know what place Star Wars will have. I remember having a strange feeling walking out of the theater at the end of ROTJ, too. Then Star Wars went away for a long time.

This is a strange new world.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Very true.

I have to say, I became pretty depressed visiting the 3SA. I really don't know what it would take for the bashing to stop.

I'd bet if Lucas created the greatest movie of all time, people would still say he could have done better.

12. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    And the REAL problem is that all the bashing makes me pick up on little things that never bothered me in the first place. So it drags down my opinion cause now I notice things that are subtle and I would not have picked them up.

So I am just not even looking at most of the threads.

13. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Some people will never be satisified. They seem to have this idea in their head about 'the perfect Star Wars movie'. But that's the thing....it's a figment of their imagination! They've created it in their heads and nothing, NOTHING, can or will live up to that ******** vision of theirs.

It's frustrating to say the least...especially when you consider that 7 years ago we only had 3 Star Wars movies to enjoy....now we have 6. Why can't people just take that at face value and enjoy?

Oh well....that's human nature I guess.

14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The movie has tied it all up, there is less to say.
    A few hours after I saw ROTS, I had a lot to say about everything.

Now things are slowing down a bit.

-Seldon

15. happydudethe3rd

happydudethe3rd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    I think I'm slowing down just because I've seen it 3 times already and I'm trying to not think too much about it so I can go see it again in a couple of weeks with a (slightly) fresher perspective. But I AM checking on here everyday for any news of the DVD.

16. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, I think I've still got plenty to talk about. As you know, I'm not a massive poster, just a constant trickle :p

Anyways, I'll still be floating around the JC for quite a while yet! I usually lurk between the Classic Trilogy, Small Screen and 3NS forums. But the first two have become a spamfest recently. :( I'm not even going to bother with the 3SA until I absolutely have to :p

Always a geek!

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------

17. leelee

leelee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 4, 2003
    well, the post depression has finally hit for me. Up until last friday, I was still bouncing on walls, excited that all I heard about was STAR WARS, but now it is finally slowing down and I know it is the end. It is a sad feeling knowing that there will never be another movie that I will feel the same way about. Sure I am excited for the DVD, and I don't know how I feel about the t.v. series... but it is just not the same is it?

18. vikingjedi1

vikingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    For me I think discussing ROTS has made it better. There were a lot of things that didn't make sense to me at first (thats why I didn't like it that much), but now Im starting to enjoy it more because Im looking at it through other people's perspectives.

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    I just went with a group of ten family members, some were seeing it for the first time. There was a major buzz at dinner afterwards. People asking questions about everything. Those who don't follow Star Wars closely wondering what happened to Obi-Wan, did Vader know in the OT about his kids, etc. Several declarations that "I have to watch the originals again now!"

20. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    So this is what it felt like back in 83...
    The high has died down, and it struck me that, wow, there isn't another movie to look forward to.
    No more spoilers. It's a painfully sobering thought.
    And no, I'm firmly set in my views, so why do I want to hang around people with nothing positive to say? Waste of my time really.
    But now, I have all the inspiration I need to write my own personal saga, based on my own philosophies and themes that are important to me.
    But naw, Star Wars isn't going anywhere for me for a long long time.
    Plus, there's always the TV show. Not nearly the same as waiting in line for a new SW movie though.

21. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree that with this being the film that ties everything together that there isn't much to discuss anymore.

No longer do we have to try to explain to conspiracy theorists that Palpatine = Sidious. ;) All the speculation is done. We may disagree about the Maul/Sidious duel, who/what created Anakin etc., but the big questions, "What happens next?" and "How does it happen?" are answered.

It is kinda sad though. I was ten when Jedi came out, so I didn't fully grasp the permanance (or so we thought at the time) of it being the last SW movie. I remember comenting to my wife as we walked into our first viewing of RotS that this will be the last time we will ever see a SW film in the theater and not know what the crawl will say. That great moment of anticipation, I almost wanted to stop the film right after the crawl and just savor the moment.

Time to try to find an EU novel that doesn't suck. Wish me luck. :p

22. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well we still have Episode 0: The Rise of Yoda to look forward to in a few years...

23. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Sadly, with the way this place is drying up, I think we're going to go out with a whimper on June 19th and not a bang.

A shame to see it come to such a quiet death. I'd hoped for a fiesty and fierce battle to remain free and independant, but things are mighty quiet...

24. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

I just started getting depressed this weekend. Before I was thinking about all the ambiguous moments/aspects, but this whole weekend I just slept and did schoolwork.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, we tried to remain free and independent on the JC, but quite frankly, it wouldn't work and isn't fair to a bunch of other groups....

but we are considering other options.

Don't get me wrong - I think ROTS is amazing, definitely the best of the PT and probably up there with the OT, but at this point, I think I'm just burnt out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.