main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I dont like The Disney Canon

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Lord Sith Harloxzz, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know it's a little early to talk about this but I wanted to express my opinion
    I do not like Disney's new vision for the saga I think the Star Wars saga has a lot of potential for bigger things and Disney has not been able to learn from that

I think Disney is only interested in pleasing casual fans and OT fans and ignore the fans of the prequels and the fans of the old EU

I think Disney can do something great with the saga but limiting yourself to OT and old ideas does not help the saga to expand l like for example all the new material is centered only in OT

In the Disney canon there are still no stories that are worth remembering most of them are generic stories and boring stories the Marvel comics are bad and the novels are only few that are worth reading

I think they are wasting opportunities to create something interesting with Star Wars

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't like it either. You better watch yourself, we're wanted men.

3. Well I do not like the new canon but I do not insult others for it

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Lord Sith Harloxzz wrote

I think Disney is only interested in pleasing casual fans and OT fans and ignore the fans of the prequels and the fans of the old EU

[face_dunno] [face_dunno] [face_dunno] [face_dunno][face_dunno]

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I really have no idea how you could arrive at such a conclusion.

As my contributions to the JCF obviously reveal I'm first and foremost a fan of the OT and a disciple of George Lucas Canon.

Because of the latter and already before the Disney takeover I had issues with the clutter of conjectural inventions by either West End Games and/or the trading card games ("old EU") that made little to none earnest research efforts regarding what the actual people involved in the production settled upon or what had been actually authorized by George Lucas himself in selected materials.

As a result we got erroneous names like 'Dr. Evazan' for a character the radio drama had already identified as the "punk" (not an MD specialized in plastic surgery...:rolleyes: ) "Roofoo" and we got erroneous names for the pilots of the Red Squad participating in the Battle of Yavin: Luke, Biggs and Wedge were addressed by their (correct) first names, but according to 'Uncle EU' "Dave" (Red Leader), "Dutch" (Gold Leader) and "Tiree" (Gold Two) were supposedly nicknames but not first names...

8-} [face_laugh]

I'll leave it at that, for the moment. Any OT fan hoping that the Disney takeover would clear away such and other EU dung, was severely disappointed. On the contrary, my ongoing impression remains that Disney Canon has become some Trojan Horse to canonize a lot of EU rubbish George Lucas would have kept out, if he still had something to say.

Thus, Disney is rather interested in pleasing old EU fans than fans that grew up with the OT and the original materials.

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Lt. Hija What do you mean? Disney massacred the EU. It was devastating. I have literally spent my entire life memorizing this enormous library of fiction to argue with other nerds online and in one fell swoop it was taken away from me. There are stupid, corny elements of the EU I hated, but also so many stories and content that were better than the films themselves. As fans we knew that Empire's End was a joke and not to use it seriously in a debated, the same way we all knew Traitor was a masterpiece and the pen-ultimate understanding of the Force. It created a great dynamic. Now it's gone because Disney wanted more money from TV shows and movies. I am slowly recovering from it and learning to accept that SW is just an overarching theme with many storylines, similar to how Batman has multiple storylines and no defined canon outside of him being a billionaire orphan. I am sure that in time the EU will crawl back to the top and get the respect it deserves.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wasn't insulting you. I just said that I don't like it either.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    The Supreme Chancellor

What I wrote, i.e.

I think Disney is only interested in pleasing ... OT fans

which definitely wouldn't apply to me, as I'm interested in the in-universe conclusions we can draw from the actual films and the production records - and not what somebody obvlivious to those conjured up and in doing so created an unnecessary (EU) contradiction. [face_peace]

Essentially I'm talking about various EU elements, details or minutiae I didn't like being adopted (because these were erroneous on from the day they were published), you are talking about certain EU plot or story lines that have become "legends" but AFAIK never had the same canon status as the original six films.

The one thing I couldn't do else than to wholeheartedly agree is that it's somewhat odd that the Heir to the Empire trilogy is most definitely "legends" (after SW VII), but a principal character (Grand Admiral Thawn) who originated from this novel trilogy has been allowed to enter the "nuCanon" through Rebels.
    If that ain't cherry-picking then I don't know.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Its not actually gone as you can still read them. But I think it was the right move to cut the EU loose. It makes the course much clearer and so they are not tied to the events that have happened in those books and comics. Also out of the millions of people that have been to see the new movies, I would hazard a guess that its a relatively small proportion of those who would have been invested in the EU to know everything thats happened to every character from the PT to the OT. They are catering for the masses it seems.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Just because something's different from "the radio play" doesn't make it erroneous. The ANH radio play wasn't written by Lucas, but by Brian Daley, after all. (TCW, which Lucas was heavily involved with, included a reference to Dr Evazan in the Droids arc of Season 5 - a building with his name on it in Aurebesh (A Sunny Day in the Void?) - so I doubt he cared much about the contradiction with the radio play.

And the "newcanon" like Legends, has kept Roofoo as a name for that guy - it's just an alias (Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide).

As for cherry picking - they recognized that some Legends characters had become beloved enough by fans to include in the newcanon - helping to win over that section of the fandom.

When it comes to the enormous resource of data that had been built up ("The Holocron") it makes sense to use it - even if the EU's narrative itself has been cut.

AndyLGR likes this.
  10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm not that fond of it either, however I do like that they are keeping the OT influence. The OT was the only Star Wars for years. The OT is Star Wars, everything that has come after is built around it and expands on it. Which is personally how I like it.

11. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I listened to the radio dramas last month for the first time and theres a lot of stuff at the start of the original about how they learnt about the DS project and how they recovered the plans. All over written by RO now so that it gets a different narrative.

Personally I think now that the EU is gone the ability to pick out certain characters, planets and scenes is good. Because there is some good stuff in the EU, but also a lot of not so good stuff as well that I would imagine was another factor why some of it was let go too.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And for PT fans - there's comics, the occasional new novel, and so forth. "OT-centric but not avoiding references to PT completely" is how I would describe it.

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
  14. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I dislike parts of it
    -Master
    Tholme
    killed off
    -The Imperial Palace located in the former Jedi Temple
    -Grand Admiral Thrawn seemingly subservient to Grand Moff Tarkin, though this is not clear yet. In the now Legends continuity, Grand Admirals outranked just about any political or military authority which included Grand Moffs.
    -Luke and Vader "dueling" shortly after ANH on Cymoon 1
    -Vader going to Tatooine
    -Pretty much just having a Second Galactic Civil War with factions extremely similar to the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire

I also dislike how much smaller the galaxy feels. We also don't have enough events covered long before the films.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  15. Maybe i wrote bad I meant I respect the opinion of others

16. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    By far the biggest and most tragic loss caused by the EU purge was the eradication of the entire Knights of the Old Republic era. It was so rich and imaginative, yet so far removed from the time of the film saga that wiping it out was completely unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.