main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming I Don't Pick Fights I Can't Win: The Fire Emblem Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    What with Fire Emblem: Fates coming out in Japan in one week and confirmed to be coming to the US and Europe some time next year, it occurred to me to look and see if this series had a thread... and it didn't. But now it does!

Fire Emblem is more of a thematically linked franchise than a proper series - all of the games are strategy RPGs with medieval fantasy settings and common core combat mechanics, but there are multiple distinct game worlds and no guaranteed recurring elements between titles (Unlike the Zelda series, for example, there usually isn't a Marth). Since capturing our hearts in Super Smash Bros Melee, most of the entries in the franchise have come out stateside, with the notable exception of New Mystery of the Emblem for DS. Almost every title available in English is a good starting point, so just pick up what you can get your hands on. Unless it's Shadow Dragon. Maybe avoid that one.

But enough talk! Here's 30 minutes of Nintendo employees not knowing how to play the game:

And here's 10 minutes of Brian Altano trying to understand this mysterious weeaboo nonsense:

What's interesting about Fates in particular is that there are two plot routes, being released Pokémon style in Japan with two games, with a third route available as DLC. Japan is also getting a limited edition release of one cartridge containing all three routes - there are indications that this might be what America gets, as there's only one Fates in the US and European catalog that we know of. Regardless, suckers like myself fans will assuredly be able to get access to every route in some fashion, along with additional DLC missions that will invariably involve tonally bizarre joke plots.

Anybody else been dumb enough to already preorder their copy, or otherwise excited for Eugenics Simulator 2016?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    How could you not go with "Pick a god and pray!" for the thread title? ;)

I'm looking forward to this after Awakening has hooked me on the series- but I'm only 9 chapters into Awakening so I'm in no rush to finish it, so I probably won't grab Fates at launch unless there's some kind of really cool preorder bonues. But I will certainly pick it up after I complete Awakening.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Raw, unapologetic Sacred Stones bias. Plus I thought it summed up the series well.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watching the Treehouse Feed today, I love the little touches like the zoom-into the actual battlefield as opposed to the cutaway generic *or area-themed) battleground. That's always been a pet peeve of mine when it comes to most JRPGs (or games like FE).

Enemies using support units will be challenging as well..

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm just glad they've figured out how to address the massive nonsense that was player-only pair up. While you should always expect that there's going to be a bit of an uneven fight in FE games, only letting the players do that was game breaking.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Confirmation today that the American and European market is getting the split versions of Fates, under the names Birthright and Conquest. Interestingly, the former is apparently going to be an easier version of the game, which is... a weird marketing decision, but it basically boils down to your Avatar character having chosen the side that isn't a bunch of fracturing, opportunistic jerks. In that sense, Birthright is probably the more traditional FE title, with Conquest basically being a villain route. Apparently you can access all possible routes from one copy of the game by purchasing DLC, which is handy if shady, but man, this is going to hit my wallet hard.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Going by the Teeehouse commentary, the difficulty and fracturing you speak of is manifested by XP opportunities and that you basically get a lot more from the outset than you do as the villain where you're charged with more of a solo mission.

I am liking how they're not portraying the Conquest characters as outright villains (except for the King)- just people taking riders within a terrible regime and not recognizing how to change things. One example being a character expressing regret over having to attack a child character.

I had heard rumors that they may release a single version with all three routes down the road- my Awakening delay may benefit a wait-and-see approach.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I've heard similar rumors. Unfortunately my traditional cynicism, which in most cases would make me wait for such an edition, is powerless against my FE fanboydom. Such is life.

As regards the Nohr family - yeah, FE is usually pretty good about featuring sympathetic villains to balance out the less sympathetic commanders of those factions, it reminds me a lot of Gundam in that sense (Maybe that's why I like both franchises?! I smell a conspiracy!). Because of that I think Conquest is a really fascinating concept, but my desire for a natural challenge progression is probably going to push me towards Birthright first.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I may go with Conquest first- the idea of getting to know the "villains" from the inside first before confronting them on a more traditional hero quest seems very appealing.

Then again, my brain is always thinking about how these things could be adapted into a film or TV series and the idea of adapting both plot branches simultaneously and switching back and forth between them may draw more indecision into my actual purchasing process...

EDIT- Oof, Chapter 9 (trying to stop the Exalt's execution) was brutal. I really do try not to reset but my people were dropping like flies (the Pegasus knights and Sully in particular, sometimes Ricken and they almost took down Robin, the sneaky bastards...).

After a half dozen tries I managed to finish the level with the only casualty being the dragon girl who joined during the previous chapter. I might try again to see if I can get them all through but it was a close call... on the other hand, I assume having a dragon would be useful eventually...

What happens if you choose to sacrifice the Exalt? Naturally I refused...

EDIT- Yeah, I'm giving up on Chapter 9, there's no way for me to get through that without losing somebody different each time. Even when I survive the winged mounts and seem to have the advantage, I'll get ganked by the one-kill bow.

Sorry, dragon girl, Lon'qu, my healers and the new axe "chick" are way more useful, it was a fair trade.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    All I know is that apparently Amazon is counting my absurdly early preorder as for the Conquest version. I'll be buying both regardless, because I'm a huge mark, but ****ing hell Nintendo we really need some explicit clarification on the whole thing.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A Fates Nintendo Direct is inevitable at some point- though I'm sure the release info will grace us with its presence during an earlier one.

EDIT- I'm randomly reminded that one of Lucina's Smash lines is "Time to change fate!". Heh.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    NOPE.

Which is too bad, I wouldn't mind reading those interviews.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe another company will handle an import translation like how Dark Horse did Hyrule Historia.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  17. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll be getting the Special Edition too. On the European/Oceania feed, they showed an art book that comes with it.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, looks very exciting. Nice to hear that buying one version would get you half off a digital version of the other. I'm still a fan of physical editions though so I'll probably go for the Special Edition- costs as much as two physical editions but with some extras.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I want that SE but I assume it's sold out already. On Amazon at least.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll be preordering after work tomorrow along with Twilight Princess HD.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Preordered a copy through my local GS. Sweet!

EDIT- JP box art for the SMTxFE game:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Updated my FB image set in preparation for tomorrow (as I 'm still playing Awakening, but I'm making progress. Did a little battle grinding in preparation for Chapter 11. So, just under halfway through the main story (and probably about 1/3rd through the Paralogue)).

Cover:
    [​IMG]
    (He might be a knight but damn if it isn't satisfying to watch him literally drop the hammer on your enemies...)

Profile:
    [​IMG]
    (Because you do not frack with a kid with an eyepatch)

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Boom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was pleasantly surprised to find it comes with both games on a single cart (I haven't plugged it in yet so I don't know if the included third game is on the cart itself or is still a download).

But, back to Awakening...

EDIT- "Violence is on sale today!"

EDIT 2- FEA Chapter 11 down
    Mad King dead, Lucina is born. Lost Sully & the new dancer in that last fight but pulled it off. Then Chrom married a corpse ;).

24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Nice. It hasn't come out in the UK yet and there's no offical release date yet. Hope we get it soon because I loved Awakening and Sacred Stones.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    On the bright side, when you get it all three parts should be available.

Myself, I'm holding off until summer at which point I'll be able to devote my attention to knocking out all three parts in one go. I have a hard time putting FE titles down once I get going.