main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming I Don't Pick Fights I Can't Win: The Fire Emblem Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, whenever someone died I always had the question of "Am I willing to lose them?" and the decision to restart would be based on that answer (and influenced by things such as near-last turn losses like the Chrom vs Mustache scenario I mentioned awhile back). I must have replayed the Exalt's execution level 3 or 4 times just to save Lucina, let alone the numerous others it took to keep the Pegasus knights alive and still ended up losing the then-new dragon girl.

So those situations were like "Well, I'd like to have seen what dragon girl can do, but Lucy and everyone else made it this time and I really don't want to play this map over again..."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    After finishing Paralogue 17 (The Threat of Silence- the last non-Spotpass paralogue; apparently those final 6 SpotPass ones unlock after I finish Chapter 25 of the main quest) I'm more certain that I will go Casual for future titles after I finish FEA. There is no way anyone could get through that map on the first go without sustaining heavy casualties (unless you've grinded a lot), since you're looking at at least 4-5 waves (including the initial one) of 8-12 enemy fliers each.

It's not a difficult map, though- but if you don't charge that leader fast with someone while figuring out the right defensive formation around Tiki for the rest, you're probably not going to make it out without a few body bags. Especially since the waves like to go for attack lines on their target (Tiki), ganging up on whomever is in the way. Even Chrom was getting worn down eventually even though he was one-shoting them all. It's just a map of attrition and if you don't know the strategy right off the bat, you're kinda screwed.

(In their defense, they do say o forma wall of bodies around her, but it's unclear if you're waiting a certain number of turns for Tiki to finish, a certain number of waves or need to kill the boss to stop the waves, etc- and you'd lose valuable turns trying to figure that out)

I ended up making a 3/3/3 U formation around her, with an additional 4th corner character on the bottom right. I had mages in the top and bottom positions of the sides with swordsmen filling the middle and bottom line. Gave a good spread of attacks and healing while allowing the fighters to take the brunt of the attacks and allowing everyone to have at least one assisting character when fighting. Paired up a healer with Fredrick to charge the enemy leader with.

One thing I noticed here, and maybe it's just because i haven't used her that much, but Tharja's spell attack abilities fluctuate or deplete for some reason. She'll have normal spell attack values in some cases, but then I'll go to use her and most of her spells will have an attack/damage value of 0 or even just a 1 or 2. What conditions or gameplay mechanic causes that?

Chapter 19 of the main quest is up next 7 or 8 more to go.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dark magic got NERFED HARD.

Well, okay, that and Resistance.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, so it's a stat on the enemy unit and not something with Tharja herself- that's what was throwing me off.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Note too that it also buffs based on tile type the way regular defense does, so if you're dealing with a bunch of, say, pegasus knights in castles, you're probably not going to want to use magic at all.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    By tile type, you mean the overall setting versus specific locations (ie: having cover in trees, etc)?

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Specific locations on the level map - anything that boosts defense is probably boosting resistance, is a good rule of thumb, so units with already high resistance turn into anti-magic walls if you stick them on a throne or whatever. Usually this is balanced by high resistance units having lower defense and vice versa (which, to go back to an old post I made, is part of why pairing units is so powerful even beyond the extra attacks).

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll have to keep that in mind as I move towards this final stretch. I've experimented with pairing characters more but in this case I definitely needed the bodies and assist attacks to wall things up instead of the pairings. Though I did pair a healer with Fredrick in case the waves ignored their target and went after him (they didn't, thankfully) and used pairing and separate to shift Chrom next to a healer and back after all the enemy units kept making a run at him (really, Tiki) up the middle, without breaking my lines.

So, if trees cause those Resistance boosts, then that might be what I ran into- a flier coming into the tree ring around my wall of bodies and Tharja trying to strike from there.

[​IMG]

(generic screenshot, not my actual game, just pointing out the tree ring in question)

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That’d precisely do it - pegasus units have some of the highest resistance scores in the game to counterbalance the bow weakness, add in some forest buff and your damage is going to plummet.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good to know. It was weird, though- like, I had 4 mages running (Tharja, Ricken, Henry and Robin) and Tharja was the only one who seemed to run into the Resistance boost. Maybe because the ones along the top of my formation rarely struck at range (usually at closer units) and Robin was one-shoting enemies with her more powerful wind attack, which left Tharja as the one most likely to engage near a line fo attack at range by the trees.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Keep in mind the might of the magic (heh) and your unit’s magic attack also play a role in the damage calculations, so it could be your other mages also had stronger stuff flying around in general. I want to say dark magic prioritizes accuracy over might but I’m worried it could actually be the exact opposite, it’s been a bit.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Don’t worry- there’s still a chance that I’ll figure out how to play this game before I beat it. ;)

Whichever one makes murder fun, it's that one.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't make as much progress as I had hoped- keep losing characters during attempts in Chapter 19 (too many enemies! Plus three waves of reinforcements!) and attempts at grinding to level up characters (some tough setups there) but did inch ever so slightly forward.

Also unlocked this amusing support exchange:

Lucina: "...Kjelle."
    Kjelle: "Mmm?"
    Lucina: "You know what I'm about to say, don't you?"
    Kjelle: "...Be sure to wash Falchion after I'm finished cutting this apple?"
    Lucina: "DON'T use Falchion to cut apples in the first place, you dolt!"

Going to keep leveling folks up and then try a new defensive formation approach (instead of a full ring in the center, will try a corner ring with healers at core, mages in middle and everyone else on the outside-yet-within-range-of-Fortify armed with anti-beast weapons) to hopefully survive the waves of enemies in 19.

[​IMG]

14. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I bought my new 2ds XL this most recent Monday, and since then, I've put 23 hours into Fates Birthright already. I'm a frog gen addict. I can't stop. I'm playing casual normal, and it was nice the first few missions, but now that I know what I'm doing, it's way to easy to be honest. When I do conquest I'll have to figure out what to do there, same with Awakening.

It's so good though. The story has... ups and downs, and I can't stand some of the characters, but the ones I do like, I love, and the gameplay is addictive as hell.

I don't think it's very newcomer friendly though. 23 hours in and I don't have a damn clue what most of the stats do, which weapons are best to use, etc. it doesn't explain any of that in a tutorial.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's definitely a trial by fire (...emblem. sorry)- as my question to Ramza the other week illustrated, I never personally had a need to learn what Res was until Chapter 19 (plus paralogues) and am only now looking at weapons that are particularly effective against specific unit types (outside of the standard weapon triangle, of course). Heck, I've played most of the game without even teaming up characters (mostly to either protect a vulnerable character from attack or to hide a powerful character from enemies suiciding themselves against them when i'm trying to level up other characters, lol) since i prefer the bonus assist attacks and extra turns not wasted on splitting off healers when i need them.

But I kinda like how the game doesn't force you to learn the deeper mechanics and leaves them there for you to discover when you run out of traditional options (though, of course, that runs counter to the permadeath mode since it invites repeat plays).

16. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Indeed! I've been pairing characters up asap because I like leveling up their ranks and getting the kids, lol. I don't know what res is either if I'm being honest. I'm going out of my way to actually looking up guides, I'm trying to succeed with what the game gives me, and I'm having tons of fun that way. I'll research post birthright, before I dig into conquest.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Res is Resistance (to magic).

Since I'm in what is essentially my first XP grind stretch of the (Awakening) game (trying to get everyone to be level 10 or more of their master class before i take another crack at Chapter 19, so I'm using a lot of Reeking Boxes on the world map to summon cannon fodder so I can easily win the grinding battles without using any heavy hitters or dedicated healers on my team), I've been looking at the relationship stats more even though I'm already past the kids, so actually pairing certain characters has been something I've begun to use more intentionally beyond battlefield necessity (all the relationships advances I've gotten in the game have just come from battle assist and Barracks chatter events).

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FYI- Preorders for the FETH: Warfare Edition went live at 3pm EST at Gamestop.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In between E3 conferences and streams this year (and this weekend during a heavily-delayed train ride) I've returned to my XP grind and set the new goal of leveling 15 characters up to 15. Operation 1515. Same strategy as before, using Reeking Boxes (on a location that sells Reeking Boxes)- but now I can have a single character (or one paired with a healer for luck bonuses and such) take on the entire map without getting a scratch on them. Been effective at getting folks up those later 3-4 levels seemingly quicker, and avoids situations where the enemy forces would just commit Lucinacide and deny my lesser units their XP.

So, with only 2-3 characters left to go, I'll then re-equip everyone with beast killers and wind attacks and hopefully, finally, conquer that damn Chapter 19 and move onto the last few chapters of the game.

On the upside, all my leveling up unlocked another Paralogue Chapter too, so I'll options moving forward as well. I really want to try and finish this one before my pre-order of Three Houses arrives this summer. I can circle back around to Fates and Echoes later (though I'll be playing those on easy mode, I think).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I was thinking of getting back into FE Fates Birthright Campaign… been caught on the Camila chapter for months now and slowly grinding XP when I can to level up (on and off). I still have quite a few more characters to go but at this point, and with the new one on the way, I might just switch to Casual mode and play for the story. Then repeat for Conquest and Revelations.

I need to check if you'll loose any reward by switching from Classic to Casual before I do that.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You lose nothing. Instead, the risk is that because death stops being permanent key units might wind up under-leveled because they don't make it through longer chunks of the map. This can be especially bad in Conquest since there's no external grinding. So my usual recommendation is that you should really only view Casual mode as a safety net for a last or second-to-last turn screw up.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Alternatively: Meat grinder simulator. ;)

They opened the Treehouse stream today with FETH. Now, maybe some of these details are carryovers from more recent games but some details that stood out compared to FEA:

-Larger, multi-space enemies (they showed a giant, 4 square, wolf creeping towards character you need to protect while engaging the other actual enemies in battle)

-You level up Battalions as well as characters.

-Even in Classic Mode, there's a rewind time feature you can choose to utilize to advance backwards turns so as to not have to replay entire battles due to a single mistake (useful for levels with win conditions such as a limited number of turns).

-Seems like there are some branching dialogue options, or at least binary options, during the academy sections of the game. Student areas of study are influenceable (you can encourage a student to pursue certain disciplines) but this can be automated as well for those that want to focus on story/combat more.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, so right now I'm playing the Valkyria Chronicles remaster. This has gotten me hooked and very excited to finally try Fire Emblem when Three Houses comes out.

My question... does Three Houses require other knowledge of the world? Is it a sequel to other games? Should I be watching cutscene compilations of any other games to prepare myself to understand Three Houses? I honestly know pretty much nothing about the game other than that it's the FE game coming out for Switch that I have access to :p

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This is actually in the OP, more or less, because the answer is no. In fact only two FE games ever were direct sequels (and the only prequel ever was, ironically, the first game the US ever got, and we never got the game it was a prequel of!).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Ahhh good. That makes me feel better.