"I don't sense anything" -- Qui Gon

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
  1. TrueJedi Jedi Master

star 5
    Does anyone think that Qui Gon's foolish utterance of those words indicate that Qui Gon was either:

(1) Stupid?

(2) Out of touch with the Force?

(3) In league with Sidious?

(4) Incompetent?

(5) Drunk or drugged up?

(6) Not as good a Jedi as Obi-Wan?

Which could it be?
  2. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Number 7, he was using the Living Force, keeping his concentration there and then.
  3. TrueJedi Jedi Master

star 5
    The Living Force is a scam created by those trying to destroy the Republic and the Jedi.

On a serious note, can you post info source on what Lucas has said about the Living Force? I would be interested in reading canon info on the topic. Thank you in advance for your help.
  4. Darth-Horax Jedi Master

star 6
    He was keeping his htoughts on the moment at hand...Obi-Wan clearly was picking up on something elusive, which is good, but wasn't focusing on what they needed at that moment to finish their mission.
  5. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 7
    Obi-Wan sensed the future, while Qui-Gon sensed the moment.

That's why Qui-Gon was better at instinctive things like picking up Jar Jar and Anakin and Obi-Wan was better at........
  6. Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan

star 4
    and Obi-Wan was better at........

...Knowing that both picking up Jar Jar & Anakin would end up blowing up in their faces in the long run :p

- O_F
  7. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 7
    That's right.

Obi-Wan = better at the future

Qui-Gon = better at the moment
  8. LazyDivey98 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Qui-gon wasn't too bad at the future, remember it was Anakin who destroyed Sidious. So in a way, they were both right and they were both wrong. This was a huge theme in TPM, a symbiotic(sp?) relationship. It is a perfect example or how GL is a brilliant story teller.
  9. Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan

star 4

In the long run, Obi-Wan has more talent.
  10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master

star 5
    Qui-Gon wasn't too bad of a jedi of himself.
  11. Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Master

star 5
    But if Qui-gon had his thoughts at the here and now, why didn't he sense like Obi-wan? There was evil at hand, almost right under their noses, not just in the future, but right then and there. There was scheming going on, a plot to invade the Naboo by the Federation and the Sith. Surely Qui-gon should have picked up on that if he were concentrating at the moment.
  12. PMT99 Jedi Master

star 4
    "But if Qui-Gon had his thoughts at the here and now, why didn't he sense like Obi-wan?"

He has throughout the course of the movie:

"I sense an unusual amount of fear for something trivial as this trade dispute."

"There is something else behind all of this, your highness. There's no logic in the Federation's move here. My feelings tell me they will destroy you."

Then there's the encounter with Darth Maul: "He is trained in the Jedi Arts. My only conclusion can be that it was a SITH LORD!"

Put 2 and 2 together and Qui-Gon has picked up on the fact that the Sith have returned from 1,000 years of hiding and that it was them who are behind the Trade Feds' takeover of Naboo but the Council didn't believe him until he's dead.
  13. EmperorCreatine Jedi Youngling

star 1
  14. dri-ma-kadi Jedi Padawan

star 4
    (5) Drunk or drugged up
  15. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think your reading the line as iof its representative of what is to come , in reality Qui Gon does sense something is wrong later.. Its a hard call.. The line in the script has to exist to show the difference between the two jedi styles and to show not all Jedis will follow the same style and route...Look at Anakin, he looks like trouble or is it just me :)
  16. Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    qui gon focusses on here and now. obi wan on other matters excpt here and now. thats why he failed to stop anakin turning from the darkside. qui gon's loss was BIG.
  17. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Could it just be, y'know, that Obi Wan is more powerful and simply senses something Qui Gon doesn't?

Additionally, I always assumed Qui Gon's comment was meant to suggest that Obi Wan has a habit of losing his focus to future concerns, while Qui Gon prefers dealing with danger once it becomes a present issue. Neither is right or wrong, as both philosophies have their pros adn cons, but together, they make a powerful team.
  18. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    ShaneP posted on 4/28/05 3:29pm/>

Very nicely said. Qui-Gon was neither ignorant or cocky by doing this. It made him smarter in doing so. No Jedi rambles on about unimportant things, and focusing on the present has helped Qui-Gon numerous times in the past. The present was Qui-Gon's asset, the future is Obi-Wan's. Neither is greater than the other.

By the statement "I don't sense anything," Qui-Gon wasn't denying the fact that what Obi-Wan was sensing is hogwash, he was simply saying he didn't sense it, personally.

TrueJedi, however, seems a little biased against Qui-Gon. For what reason, I don't know./>/>
  19. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    TrueJedi biased against Qui-gon? No, surely not! :p
  20. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    He's not?! OH NOES! WE'VE FAILED, MASTER! WE'VE FAILED!

:(
  21. hawk Jedi Knight

star 5
    I don't understand why he also says right after: "I sense an unusual amount of fear...". I thought he didn't sense anything?

Why not say: "I think you're right, I DO sense an unusual amount of fear..."

Sure he could have JUST sensed the fear then but why leave the inconsistency when a few changes to the dialogue would work. It makes me think either Lucas can't write well or that he doesn't take the time to check if the dialogue makes sense.
  22. PMT99 Jedi Master

star 4
    "I don't understand why he also says right after: "I sense an unusual amount of fear...". I thought he didn't sense anything?"

Qui-Gon didn't sense anything in regards to the mission itself but he was not referring to the "elusive" part in which Obi-wan mentioned because Qui-Gon did sense it.

It's just that he's not concerning himself about it like Obi-wan is.
  23. hawk Jedi Knight

star 5
    I know it is easy to justify the dialogue. All I am saying is one second he's saying he doesn't sense ANYTHING then a minute later he's saying he can sense an unusual amount of fear. The dialogue would be better if he said, "I don't sense that Obi-Wan but I do sense an unusual amount of fear for something as trivial as these trade disputes".

It's no big deal, just strange awkward dialogue.
  24. Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The dialogue would be better if he said, "I don't sense that Obi-Wan but I do sense an unusual amount of fear for something as trivial as these trade disputes".

It really wouldn't be, since the scene that interrupts it shows the Neimodians finding out they're Jedi Knights.

- O_F
  25. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    hawk, Qui-Gon was talking about the Federation's fear, if I remember correctly. Two different subjects completely.
Moderators: heels1785, Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.