main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I don't sense anything" -- Qui Gon

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TrueJedi, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004

Well, considering the title is 'The Phantom Menace', and one of OB1s first lines is "I sense something elsewhere, elusive" shows OB1 to be right on the ball. The 2 Jedi are on the same ship as the Trade Federation Viceroy, who is in league with a Sith.

The 'elusive' element is the Sith.

Qui Gon, also in close proximity to the Viceroy cannot sense anything. Surely he should be able to sense something even if he is concentrating on the 'here and now'.

I have always thought this scene shows Qui Gon to be incompetent in his awareness. Indeed he is concentrating on the here and now, but he is missing the bigger picture. OB1 is the more astute and therefore, more cautious one, and is proven right when the Viceroy orders the gassing of the Jedi.

2. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    "All I am saying is one second he's saying he doesn't sense ANYTHING then a minute later he's saying he can sense an unusual amount of fear."

Obi-wan just told Qui-Gon that "it wasn't about the mission" because that was exactly what Qui-Gon was referring to when he said he didn't sense anything.

JDN21-"I have always thought this scene shows Qui-Gon to be incompetent in his awareness."

Qui-Gon was not incompetent because he has indeed sensed the same thing Obi-wan did but he's not focused on it since he needed to be alert on what's happening around him.

"Indeed he is concentrating on the here and now, but he's missing the bigger picture."

And Obi-wan and the entire Jedi Order are missing out on what's happening around them in expense of looking into the bigger picture. That is why Darth Sidious is able to outsmart and annihilate all but of them minus both Obi-wan and Yoda.

3. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    TrueJedi, however, seems a little biased against Qui-Gon. For what reason, I don't know.

You sensed correctly. Why? Because he lied, cheated, and stole. He was a bad moral example for Anakin.

4. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    No, Palpatine is the bad moral example for Anakin, not Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon is the the only one that could've prevented Anakin from sliding down to the Dark Side if only he were alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.