main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "I don't speak that, droid" - is it a big deal that Rey and Poe can speak "droid" in TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Satipo, Jan 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I mean she obviously knows who Han Solo is. She acts like an excited fangirl meeting her idol for the first time (Daisy Ridley was adorable during those interactions btw), when he reveals who he is and what ship that they're on.

2. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015

a little off-topic but I do love it when the Chorus starts to sing.... :p

back on-topic. I think alot of these nitpickers are what you call "Contrarians" People who just have to go against the popular opinion, You see a few of them in day to day life. I have a Friend(ish) who it seems no matter what it is, if it's popular it sucks.

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I disagree.

4. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    nitpickers are as varied as most people are. Why they do it isn't so important but how they respond to the discussion.

Satipo likes this.
  5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    No a "contrarian" is someone who dislikes something that most other people do like, and they often choose to dislike it BECAUSE so many others do.

"Nitpicking," is just obsessively complaining about things that aren't that important in the grand scheme of things, and blowing them WAY out of proportion.

These two idea can be connected at times, but they're not automatically the same thing. For example, I LOVE ESB and consider it to be the closest that SW has ever come to being a "masterpiece." Which is the majority opinion it seems. But I could always find little things to nitpick even there if I wanted to.

Satipo likes this.
  6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002

Well, I don't think I ever got a reply when I pointed out that Luke met a Wookiee on another desert planet...

Satipo likes this.
  7. Rancor Keeper

Rancor Keeper Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Well heck, I'm pretty sure it's accepted lore that the cantina in Mos Eisley was even owned by a Wookie

Having Wookie traders frequent Jakku doesn't seem like a stretch

8. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    .... unless your personally-held SW theory forbids it...

Satipo likes this.
  9. RobbyV

RobbyV Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015

You'd be surprised. I've heard reasons such as "we never saw one in the movie so there never was one" and "it's too hot there for a Wookiee".

SkooterNB likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    And yet Chewie was on Tatooine, another Desert Planet, when we first meet him, hmm.

Iron_lord and Satipo like this.
  11. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Haha. Good point.

12. jimmycrank

Dec 29, 2015

Exactly, But they're never going to admit they don't like the movie because it's popular, So they try and de construct the movie by giving all of these silly little unimportant points and say it's bad Story Telling, when in reality you could nitpick all day long throughout the whole Saga if you wanted to, You can't say part of why you don't like TFA is because Rey can speak Astromech with no reason given, but then not hold ESB to account for the same thing. It's this type of Hypocrisy which is just frustrating.

Rhyoth and MeBeJedi like this.
  13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    ^^^^^^ This!

14. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    For the record Rey speaking BB-8 speak is only a minor problem for me. It's just when you add it up with all the other issues...

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    ..... sigh..., did the blu-ray come in yet?

jimmycrank likes this.
  16. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Yes it did thank you. Just haven't unboxed it yet.

17. jimmycrank

Dec 29, 2015

You do Criticize TFA very heavily and like to Poke fun of it alot which is up to you of course. But it's 4th on your List! I hate to think what you were like with AotC and TPM....absolutley beside yourself!??? :p

18. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  19. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

5th actually.

I think TFA has great acting, a good flow, and it's a generally fun popcorn movie. What do I not like about it? Well I think you know that by now. The good aspects of it are why I have it higher than TPM and AOTC. TPM was way too kiddie movie for me (but I have to say Duel of the Fates was my fav lightsaber duel in the whole saga). AOTC was just a major cheese fest IMO. That said all 3 of those movies (TFA, TPM, AOTC) still have their moments. There's great scenes in every SW movie.

OK full disclosure...

When we were debating earlier in this thread I totally didn't remember the Han Solo repair scene. In fact my memory was that he was yelling at Chewie the whole time. I tried to ignore that part of the debate but when it was put in my face I had to respond... So I had a little fun with it :) Once a mod stepped in I stopped with the fun and games. But yes, that scene does give Rey a little more credibility with BB-8 (even though we still don't see another droid like BB-8 on Jakku).

jimmycrank likes this.
  20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Like we hadn't figured that out.

And BB-8 speaks one of the most common forms of droid speak. It's not unique to him.

21. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    And if she can lists off all of it's internal systems/power supplies, etc by memory, her knowing how to speak to it is all the more plausible. Really ALL of Rey's non-Force powers are given context and are easy to justify (which is the topic of this particular thread).

22. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Best analogy other than citing how common multi-lingualism is in the real world and in the world shown to us in Star wars is someone nitpicking the idea that a person can use a brand new android galaxy phone after upgrading from an older off brand android phone.

It's still an android with very similar layouts. People switch between using driod and Iphones too.

Droids in the films are essentially consumer products, granted they are likely military grade. Star Wars films have often gone out of its way to show how common droid are. Droids were emploed by the Lars homestead for farming purposes after all

As an aside and this isn't personal but a matter of repect:
    I take exception to the 'it's only a small nitpick but I'm still going to die on this hill' explanation midnight has given considering his utter contempt for others in the discussion and is still trying to find a way to now minimize the issue given the evidence. But I digress. That's the last time I'll comment on that incident

MeBeJedi and jimmycrank like this.
  23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Definitely agreed on your last point, ucdex.

(Not that I disagree with the rest of your post... I'm just sayin' ;) )

ucdex likes this.
  24. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Just how many droid do you there is to salvage in a entire Star Destroyer ?
    And given their relative high price, is it reasonnable to think most of them are gone by now ?

25. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i think it's fine for people to understand it. if they start actually speaking it i'll probably have something to say.

ucdex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.