I don't think Anakin/DV is that great of a swordsman.(possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BobaFrank, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    TPM- We really can't tell because he never wields a lightsaber.

AOTC- He got his butt kicked and lost an arm. Yeah he killed some bugs, Tuskens, and Droids but they didn't have lightsabers.

EP.3- We can only speculate, but if rumors are true then we know he loses badly.

ANH- He only beat Obiwan because Obiwan let him.

ESB- He beat up Luke pretty good but Luke held his own and was able to escape.

ROTJ- Luke kicked his butt and he lost a hand.

When it comes to fighting someone else who has a lightsaber Anakin/DV doesn't really impress me.
  2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Interesting observations! I never noticed. :eek:
    Hey, we heard he was a "cunning" warrior, not that he could actually fight when it came down to it :p
    Maybe Vader's ways, of machinery and technology, of pure destructive power any way you can get it, just don't fit in with this quaint old "elegant weapon for a more civilized age".

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I mean Anakin/DV looks good and is talented but he never really impressed me with his lightsaber skills. I mean who'd he legitamately beat?
  4. sidious10 Force Ghost

star 1
    Very true, Dooku could definitely whoop him.... and he'd be a cakewalk for Maul.
  5. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    AOTC- He got his butt kicked and lost an arm. Yeah he killed some bugs, Tuskens, and Droids but they didn't have lightsabers.

That's more do to the fact that Dooku has at least six decades more experience that Anakin has. I think Anakin did very against Dooku considering he had just fought in a huge battle and had been electricuted and sent flying into a rock wall before dueling Dooku.

EP.3- We can only speculate, but if rumors are true then we know he loses badly.

Yes, but there are also speculations people have that Anakin will defeat Dooku in a duel. If that theory people have does come true, it's possible we'll see Anakin kick Dooku's a$$. As for the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel, it's quite possible Anakin makes a foolish mistake and gets defeated at the end. We really don't know.

ANH- He only beat Obiwan because Obiwan let him.

ESB- He beat up Luke pretty good but Luke held his own and was able to escape.

ROTJ- Luke kicked his butt and he lost a hand.

You can't really be too critical with Anakin/Vader's skills in the OT. He's mostly a machine who isn't terribly flexible or quick, and he can't possibly be flexible or quick anymore, even if he wanted to be. Vader/Anakin also focuses more on strength, than speed in the OT, which keeps him from getting injured or killed until his duel with Luke in ROTJ.
  6. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I still think its the myth of his character that instills fear. I just don't see him as a great swordsman.
  7. mjerome3 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think he's a pretty decent swordsman. Those were very good points. He did mess up against Dooku but for a padawan going up against Dooku he fought fairly well. There's no telling how many duels he was in during Episode III. We have to wait and see. Episode IV, he was trying his best to kill Obi-Wan. There's no telling how that duel would have ended had Obi-Wan not become one with the Force. Luke Skywalker got in a few licks against him at Bespin. Vader wasn't trying hard. In Episode VI, Luke bested him and Vader lost. Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul were also excellent swordsman and look what happened to them.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's only how good you play the game. And most trained Force users are awesome swordsman.
  8. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, so far, here are the scores in the 5 episodes.

Darth Maul: 1-1-1
    Quigon: 0-1-1
    Obiwan: 1-2
    Yoda: 0-0-1
    Anakin/Darth Vader: 2-2-0
    Count Dooku: 2-0-1
    Luke Skywalker: 1-1-0

So far, Anakin/Vader is tied with Dooku with the most wins. That is not too shabby.

#1: He held his own against Dooku. He was only a padawan, and Dooku had A LOT of experience. Also, if Anakin had not made the mistake of getting into a one-handed sword fight with Dooku, I think he would have had a chance at winning. You have to be pretty dam experienced in a one-handed swordfight.

#2: He would have kicked Obiwan's a** anyway in ANH. He had been doing it the whole deul. You could tell Obiwan was struggling.

#3: I personally think that he wasnt really trying that hard in TESB, and he STILL beat Luke. He could have destroyed Luke, but chose not to.

#4: Hayden has already been training with Nick Gillard in Australia for atleast 2 weeks, and filming doesnt begin for another month. McGregor still hasnt arrived for training yet. This shows that we will see Anakin at his peak in terms of lightsaber skills.

#5: We do not yet know the specifics of the volcano duel in episode 3. It could be that Obiwan beats him out of luck.
  9. ObidioJuan Force Ghost

star 3
    rpeug, in my experience there is no such thing as luck- OBJuan

You can't just take scores and rank based on that. Yoda had a draw with Dooku, but I feel it was common knowledge that Yoda was the best with a LS of the Jedi.

Vader is very powerful, but not the most powerful. He's more machine than man in the OT so it's not fair. His powers are others, like the force choke over a transmision, quite nice, specialy since he doesn't even need to gesture.

Now this thread is specifically about swordsmanship. He's not!, so far what Vader/Anakin has shown with a LS although it's impressive it's not "most impressive".

My ranking for swordsmanship:

1. Yoda
    2. Dooku, because he runs from Yoda.
    3. OB1
    4. Maul
    5. Mace (little effort to kick anyone)
    6. QGJ
    7. Anakin

Anakin just doesn't practice enough, maybe in EP3 he can jump to No. 3 or No. 4. It all depends.

Some pointers:
    - Maul used a cheap trick to throw OB1 and then he lowered his guard.
    - In TPM QGJ was much better than OB1, but by AOTC OB1 is better.
    - Mace is awsome. The part where he jumps, and while he's falling he takes off his burning robe and deflects a couple of blasters is way cool. Too bad he hasn't had a chance to duel with someone with a LS.
  10. Melda Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Anakin just doesn't practice enough"

OBI-WAN: If you spent as much time practicing your saber skills as you do your wit you would rival Master Yoda as a swordsman. (can't remember the line exactly)

Maybe? :eek:

Oh, and remembering that Anaking has a few years less lightsabre training than any other Jedi...
  11. ObidioJuan Force Ghost

star 3
    Excuses, all excuses.

For whatever reasons, the fact is that so far what we see in the movies doesn't support that Vader is the greatest swordsman. He may be a great swordsman but I think there are more than 2 that are greater than him.
  12. rpeugh Force Ghost

star 4
    All signs point to the fact that he is saving it for episode 3 my friend. Be patient.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.