main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I don't understand Harrison Ford...

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by T-R-, Dec 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Oh thats really not true at all, I don't think. I've never got that impression from the many interviews I've seen over the years. Yes, he has issues with ROTJ, thought his character should have been killed off, and is on record as saying he likes the originals better than the prequels (as do many fans, including myself), but his admiration and appreciation for the first couple of films has remained.

2. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I like your ranking of the SW films d_arblay, cept I would swap ANH for ESB.

3. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    Well try as I might, I just cant find fault with ANH. Its the perfect movie for me, and the only one of the six that can stand on its own. I think too many people dismiss it and take it for granted these days. I dont buy into this idea that ESB is better purely because its "darker". Sure, its a wonderful piece of work, but it gets too much credit for this alone (much like ROTS in actual fact). I think ANH just has that shade more brilliance about it.

Anyway, another debate for another thread I guess ;)

4. Adali-Kiri

Adali-Kiri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Phew, really? Why? :confused:

'Cause all I've ever heard him say is how brilliant he thought the story and concept was. He never signed multi-picture deals for them, and in his Empire Interview last year he said that this was a pragmatic tactic because he wanted to get paid much more for sequels if the first one was a hit. He was happy to return for Empire, and reluctantly did Jedi because he felt he owed it to George.

He has stated several times that he thinks Indy is a more interesting character, which I completely understand.

Actually, it's funny how Ford's work with Lucas kind of refutes the claim that Lucas can't handle anyone but yes-men. He has made 8 feature films with Ford! And good old Harry is not exactly known for being extremely flexible, without mood-swings and tantrums, or suffering a dearth of his own ideas about how things should be done. ;)

But some notions die hard. Until a couple of years ago it was commonplace among SW fans to assume that Alec Guiness convinced Lucas to kill off Obi-Wan in the first movie, so he wouldn't have to suffer through sequels. With the excellent book The Making Of Star Wars, as well as the source material referenced there, it turned out that killing Kenobi was Lucas' idea (while on location in Tunisia, I think) and that Guiness was really upset and had to be talked into it by the director. :oops:

5. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    I agree 100% percent with this.

6. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    This is a really moot discussion considering Lucas doesn't want anything to do with the original trilogy- let alone make movies with original trilogy characters. Star Wars will remain in the clone war era until Lucas dies. He's been at odds with the original fans ever since the special editions and he's been giving them the finger from then on.

Far as Ford and Solo; Ford tried to push the plot point of Han Solo dying way back in the 80's with Empire and Jedi. He thought the character did his part in the story and that his death would bring things to greater emotional stage. So it's not suprising that he would not want to reprise the role. And Cowboys and Aliens doesn't have Han Solo in it. Niether does Indiana Jones.

7. Adali-Kiri

Jul 31, 2000
    You mean like having it released on BD and converted into 3D cinema releases...? [face_thinking]

That's ignoring the plans and development for the live action TV series.

Not with me.

What an eloquent way of saying you don't like the prequels. o_O

8. skywalker_san

skywalker_san Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 2, 2010
    As with all the prequel haters...

9. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    This is irrelevant anyways. If, and that is a really big IF, 7-9 were made you best believe that our heroes who were left alive in ROTJ would either be recast or there would be a CGI and vocal revolution where they were all digital in look and sound and be perfect.

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    What could the story possibly be about? Luke starting a new Jedi order? Han and Leia's honeymoon? The Alliance chasing down and killing any remaining Imperials? Chewie learning to speak Basic? Threepio comes out?

I just can't think of a legitimate story to even base sequels on.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Well, supposedly there was one, but it would have occurred within a different saga context, even if the story of ROTJ technically ended the same way. ROTJ wouldn't have ended on quite the same climax, & the PT would, most likely, have put forward a few loose ends. The current story effectively restricts the Saga to its six-film structure, with the PT coming full circle for both Anakin's & Luke's narrative arcs. Episode VI basically ends with, "they all lived happily ever after", & the bad guy who was really good goes to heaven. The End.

zombie covers most of what is known about Eps VII-IX in TSHOSW, & I started a thread to address whatever else exists, or to debate what's around:

http://boards.theforce.net/star_wars_saga/b10456/30565196/p1/?107

Unfortunately, apart from a few very broad strokes, there's not much more than speculation. GL basically denies the ST ever really existed - not entirely true, but with the way he made ROTJ & the PT, it doesn't exist anymore. Extremely unlikely that any further SW features will be related to it in any way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.