main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I don't understand the reasoning for Senator Amidala's assasination.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by rcrez, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcrez

rcrez Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    In Episode II, the whole plot to assasinate Senator Amidala didn't quite make sense to me. We find out that it was Nute Gunray who requested that Count Dooku try to assasinate the Senator. Then Dooku hired Jango Fett to do the assasination. Jango failed and Obi-Wan followed him to Kamino and found out about the clones.

So why was Nute Gunray so determined to kill Amidala?

Was Palpatine behind this in order to get Anakin and Padme together and also let Obi-Wan find out about the clones?

Along the same lines, was it Palpatine (aka Sidious) who ordered the clones created 10 years before AOTC? Then did Palpatine request that Jango provide the DNA for the cloens?

2. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Nute Gunray wanted revenge from Ep1. Dooku promised her death to convince Nute to fully join the separatists and commit his forces. Dooku was, after all, tasked with building up an army of separatist forces for an upcoming (needless) war. He needed Nute's armies of droids and worked to create a separatist "threat" to frighten the senate/republic into wanting an army to defend themselves.

Dooku hired his buddy, Jango to kill Padme. To hide his steps, Jango sub-contracted the job to another bounty hunter.

Some wanted Padme dead because she was going to vote against the upcoming Military Creation Act which would authorize an Army of the Republic (the other army needed to fight the upcoming needless war). Given Padme's wide influence and sympathy to her cause, Padme was a threat to Palps and Dooku's plan to gain an army. The war would keep the galaxy in chaos and allow Palps to remain in power through senate manipulation and to wipe out the Jedi over time. He is patient.

Jango screwed up when he used a saber dart that led the Jedi to Kamino. Dooku had purposely erased evidence of such a system in order to keep it hidden. When Obi-Wan shows up on Kamino, Jango realized he was in trouble. Jango only agreed to be a clone template for an army of the republic and do his bounty hunter thing. Now, he realized he was mixed up in something much larger. He fled to Geonosis to be with his employer.

To make it all "legal", Chancellor Palpatine was given emergency powers to make Yoda's commandeering of the clone army legit. Now, the Military Creation Act debate is moot and void. Gotta have that army now either way! We are at war! The Separatist armies are attacking! Palps wins again.

The clones became the Army of the Republic sooner than Dooku expected and certainly not how he had planned (being discovered by a Jedi). Regardless, the war has begun, albeit sooner and perhaps not as imagined, but Dooku takes the Death Star plans and flees to be with his master and report the news. Everything is going as planned and Palps ensured his power is secure for a long time. Next episode, remove the people who were in on it and remove the trail of evidence and corruption. (Dooku, separatists)

3. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Yep, exactly what Grilled-Sarlacc said!

4. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
  5. rcrez

rcrez Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    Wow, thanks for the great "behind the obvious" look at ATOC.

So I have another question...

Whow as Master Sify-Dyas? Whoever it is, it sounds like Sidious. Why does Obi-Wan think he died 10 years before ATOC.

Also, when Obi-Wan and Dooku were talking during their first encounter, Dooku says 10 years before the teader of the trade federation was betrayed by Sidious. Was this fact true?

Because in ROTS, Nute Gunray spends a lot of time chatting with Sidious so that can't be right.

So basically Dooku was just a replacement for Darth Maul and Nute Gunray was loyal to Dooku/Sidious the whole time??

6. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Wow, thanks for the great "behind the obvious" look at ATOC.

OK.

7. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Whow as Master Sify-Dyas? Whoever it is, it sounds like Sidious. Why does Obi-Wan think he died 10 years before ATOC.

Because he did die 10 years before AOTC. Dooku, when he was a Jedi, found out what Syfo-Dyas was planning to do. He saw Syfa-Dyas erasing Kamino from the archives and killed him. He then left the Jedi Order, joined the Sith Order and then Sidious had the now "Darth Tyranus" orde the army posing as Syfo-Dyas

Also, when Obi-Wan and Dooku were talking during their first encounter, Dooku says 10 years before the teader of the trade federation was betrayed by Sidious. Was this fact true?

Because in ROTS, Nute Gunray spends a lot of time chatting with Sidious so that can't be right.

Okay, he talked to Sidious ONCE in ROTS. I'm sure Gunray was still pissed at him, but you don't tell the Dark Lord of the Sith that he's an betraying S0B.

So basically Dooku was just a replacement for Darth Maul and Nute Gunray was loyal to Dooku/Sidious the whole time??

Dooku, like Maul, Gunray and Vader, were just pawns in Sidious' plot. Gunray was loyal to Sidious because he was Dooku's master. He may not have liked it, but again you don't tell the Dark Lord of the Sith that he is a betraying SOB.

8. rcrez

rcrez Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    The post above says that it was Dooku who erased Kamino from the maps. But then you're saying that it was Sifo-Dyas who erased Kamino from the archive maps and ordered the clone army??

So what was Sifo-Dyas' motive? Was he working with Palpatine? Why was he interested in creating a clone army after the events of TPM?

9. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    for info on sifo-dyas click on this link .

Nute was not betrayed by Sidious. As Sio Babble said in aotc, despite all the evidence, he was never convicted for the invasion of Naboo. Why? B/c Palps controlled the courts and saw to it.

What Dooku was doing was trying to recruit Obi-Wan so that they could overthrow Palps, and they be the head of the new sith empire. If Dooku were to succeed Palps as the Dark Lord of the Sith he needed an apprentice. However as old as he was, he did not have time to train someone from scratch. And what better person to convert and train then his former padawan's padawan. He figured Obi-Wan would be the easiest, as Dooku's views were similiar to Qui-Gon's.

10. MasterACyard

MasterACyard Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    ya know, i really liked someone's idea that Masta Sifo-Dyas erased Kamino from the archives. Maybe he knew too much and Tyranus or sids had him "offed".

There is soooooo much, probably too much speculation on who ordered the clones.

Personally, I think that maybe perhps whomever was the one that ordered the clones did not do so inperson. in AOTC, the Kaminoan woman who's name i cannot spell said to Obi Wan, ".....after all these years, we were beginning to think you weren't coming."
    The administrators of Kamino seemed to have never met until Obi Wan showed up.
    Who knows? Maybe the clones were ordered via the Kamino Web Site?
    Maybe by phone??? "Welcome to CLONE PHONE.....if you know how many clones you would like to order, please press option 2 on your touchtone phone." (Kramer would say, "....why don't you just tell me how many clone you would like to order?.")

I'm sure we would be preffered to guess who how and why.

11. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Like the Seinfeld Referance.

I dont know why Geroge didnt follow up more on the whole Sifo Dyas thing? Was there a reason for that?

12. R2QT

R2QT Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Well there's a good reason that this doesn't make sense to you. We are expected to believe that Nute Gunray in AOTC is obsessed with killing Amidala because ten years earlier she didn't allow him to invade her planet and concede to the Trade Federation's demands under duress. Did she kill him when she had the chance? no. She prosecuted him to the full extent of the law, which apparently didn't even lead to a conviction. Now Nute is ready to join the separatists, they're going to have an incredible droid army when all the commerce organizations join together, "the republic will have to meet their demands." But what if the Republic had an army that could oppose them, well as chance would have it they're debating this exact matter and who is leading the fight against the creation of an army for the Republic...Senator Amidala.
    So we (the separatists) would want to kill her because...she didn't let us screw her planet ten years ago even though she's our best chance of not having an army to oppose us?

13. Annina

Annina Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    I'll tell you the reason :

Nute Gunray HATES her!! [face_shhh]

14. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    So why was Nute Gunray so determined to kill Amidala?

Revenge, for how she defied him and ended his occupation of Naboo in TPM.

15. DantSolo

DantSolo Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    <<"Welcome to CLONE PHONE.....if you know how many clones you would like to order, please press option 2 on your touchtone phone." (Kramer would say, "....why don't you just tell me how many clone you would like to order?.") >>

LOLOLOL!!!!!

16. MasterACyard

May 3, 2005
    Actually, i'd like to think that Gunray and the gang were out to get Padme because of revenge from 10 years prior AND her position of the military creation act. Those are the only logical reasons. Gunray is a Separatist now, he had old motives and new ones. Sidious was instrumental in this as well.

yeah, if you've seen the Movie Phone episode of Seinfeld, i can imagine a split screen with Kramer on the phone and Obi Wan taking George Costanza's place in the shot looking dumbfounded and pressing buttons.....Kramer says, "you've selected...uh, AGENT ZERO???" "If you know the name of the bounty hunter you would like to use as a template, press 1 now."
    Legend has it, if a Jedi orders clones off the Kamino Web Site, they save 10% by doing that online. Kinda like ordering a pizza online from pizza (the)hut. It's so simple, even a caveman could do it!!!!

17. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Caveman!? [like the GEICO commercial]

Why is someone always putting us cavemen down?

We can be sitting here typing on our computers in a Forum, and someone will say something against cavemen.

18. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    How is it logical that the separatists would want the Republic to have an army?
    They feel a war coming on and they want to be sure it's a fair fight? Maybe they were having second thoughts about separating and were secretly hoping the Republic would create an army to keep them in the Republic.

19. Sanjiro

Sanjiro Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2001
    How is it logical that the separatists would want the Republic to have an army?
    They feel a war coming on and they want to be sure it's a fair fight? Maybe they were having second thoughts about separating and were secretly hoping the Republic would create an army to keep them in the Republic.

you know that sidious is behind the separatists, right? that he controls both sides? and he wants the war to start? Gunray wants Padme dead. and she's against creating an army. two birds. one stone. if she is killed the senate will see this as an act of war and the army will go through. the army sidious knows is waiting on kamino.

20. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    Sideous and Dooku are the only two who are aware of this master plan, what motive would the separatists who believe Dooku's deception have to want her dead? They believe Dooku, and are creating their droid armies for the purpose of having a stronger negociationg position when dealing with the Republic. Even if the Separatists eventually want war it makes no sense for them to want the Republic to have an army. Only Dooku & Sideous want an evenly matched civil war.

I understand what Dooku & Sideous are trying to do, but no one else is supposed to know! Instead, the Separatists seem to be fine with trying to assassinate their best ally in the Senate. Apparently everyone in the universe is aware of the secret plan as even Amidala suspects Dooku & the separatists are behind the attempt on her life. What is the logic for this, she's trying to stop the Republic from creating an army thats purpose would be to battle the separatists. The only person who should want her dead would be radical members of the Republic who feel they need an army asap to deal with the separatists.

21. MasterACyard

May 3, 2005
    lol to TheLightSide, you should point to me and say "NOT COOL!!" and your buddy was supposed to tel me i'm being totally "condisending". [face_laugh]

so, i go down to downtown disney especting to see ROTS for one last time in their digital theater and they tell me they pulled it from the digital theater "several weeks ago"!!????
    Ya know, i've seen it 5 times at universal studios already in analog theaters and was hoping to get a peak at the digital version to satisfy my own curiousity. You would think that with all of the advocating that McCallum and the rest of LucasFilm, Ltd. have done for digital theaters, they might have theaters advertise that only ONE theater in the complex is infact digital AND that they are not keeping this version out very long. They can't do that!! Can they?? Looks like they CAN and they DID. I wanted to see spock and kirk fight each other in the lava world digitally.

What caveman do i send a letter to in order to have this put back out into digital theaters so's i can see it???

"...only a master of poor advertising, Daaaath"

22. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005

?Not if they (the Separatists) feel threatened? ? Amidala to the Queen of Naboo

To me this is the clue. Padme does not trust Dooku the man, not the Separatists as a whole (being those who want to split).

She is fairly positive, that the only one who have the courage to bump her off would be Dooku. For this reason the Jedi are flabbergasted calling Dooku an ?political idealist, not a murderer? because he was ?once a Jedi?.

But Padme is no slouch in the political arena. I think she believes Dooku is crooked (opposite of what the Jedi think of him).

Remember, Padme is the foremost supporter against an army (?I haven?t worked for a year against the Military Creation act to not be here??) so when the investigation of the attack on her is discussed, she calls Dooku, because if he gets rid of her, the vote will be for any army. Thus the Separatists will feel threatened and the chances of bring them back to the Republic will be totally erased.

23. R2QT

Jun 12, 2005
    I absolutely agree with you. This is the only logical explanation for an attempt on her life. You could argue the exact opposite, but as the separatists are never shown in the films, they could be motivated to either stay or leave out of fear of an army of the Republic. Unfortunately, even in the actual film it's presented as a condition of Nute's joining the separatists. I think the fact that in ROTS she is no longer in hiding reveals that the real interest in assassinating her was for the purpose you stated. The revenge idea, while in the databank, just makes trying to read any logic into Nute's character in the films impossible. In AOTC he suddenly decides that he has to have revenge on Padme after 10 years, but in ROTS he's back with Sideous, no problems.

24. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    She was aganisted the creation of a military for the Republic. Palpatine/Sidious wanted the Clone Army for the Republic. So eliminate those who are aganist the creation of a Military. Plus show the need for a Military.

Palpatine/Sidious was playing Nute Gunray's stupidity throughout all 3 movies. Thats what I thought anyways after watching all 3 movies.

25. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    I always wondered though, why did Padme oppose the Military Creation Act in the first place? I know she's a pacifist and so on, but given her experience in TPM, wouldn't she see the value of a standing army to defend the helpless populations of the Galaxy? She was asking for help from the Senate ten years earlier, and more than just endless bickering and political banter, she wanted something that would yield results, otherwise she wouldn't have gone with Palpatine's notion of No Confidence in Chancellor Valorum. What kind of help was she expecting when she asked for it? She saw none coming in the political arena, the Trade Federation was denying ever setting foot on Naboo, and yet her people were dying (whether they were or not is irrelevent; she thought they were dying and was making a plea). Committees weren't going to save them, an army could.

Creating a military is one thing, having it become a dictatorship is another. By supporting the creation of an army, you don't necessarily support the idea of destroying liberty, you seek to defend yourself. Surely she would have seen the defense value in having an army to stand up to rogue entities like the Federation, and she supported the Gungans massing together to fight as an army, so we know she has no qualms in taking up to the sword when necessary. And given the heat mounting, she should have been smart enough to know that war was inevitable; she knows the Federation has an army, she knows Gunray has not been stripped of any of his power, she knows they were becoming a greater threat, it was not a surprise to anyone. She should have seen another Naboo in the making, the Feds were capable of it.

And also, supporting an army is not going into war. Those two are not necessarily hand-in-hand, especially in the case where Padme and the Republic is concerned: The Army does not mean the Republic is going to war; the war is coming to the Republic, and they should do everything in their power to be ready for it if and when negotiations fail. She could still advocate peace and finding a solution to the matter through words, but she has to know that words do not always work on those who refuse to listen, and the Confederacy refused to listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.