main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series I feel the animation is really lacking on Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by FloridaFilmGuy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Darth Zannah

Well, the Clone Wars wasn't dark to start off with either. And the Jar Jar episodes were 'kiddy'. But so far, we have a man ( Kallus) who openly laughed and mocked Zeb about killing his people. ( Which was genocide. So men; women and children died.) And we don't need to see that on screen to know about serious it was. We also have repeated killings of storm troopers. (Remember when Sabine shot that guy point blank in the head?) And we have Vader telling the Inquisitor that if no child wants to join the Empire ( should they be found to have the force) He must murder them. We also have people being taken away by the Empire for speaking out against it. ( Which in a facist government like the Empire can only mean their eventual death) and when Ezra was saving those people in Fighter Flight. I was strongly reminded of when the Jewish people etc were being taken away to Concentration Camps in cattle cars and how they would have to jump off moving trains if they wished should the doors be forced open by other people while it's still moving. Also, that hologram we saw of Luminara in her cell was actually the Inquisitor having her go into that coffin and die. The coffin suffocated her to death, so that breath we see before she turns into a corpse; is most likely her last one. And there was a mention of Base Delta Zero? Which means that a whole planet and every living thing was wiped out by the Empire.

So, I don't think it has to be dark in the sense that we see people dying everywhere and getting their heads cut off. I mean, I'm sure we may eventually get darker moments; but it's doing fine right now. Sometimes being subtle at what the darker tones are can play better then it being right in your face. I'm not saying we won't get that, but I do disagree that this show is 'kiddy' in terms of tone. Star Wars is for everyone. And we do have light hearted moments sure, but Star Wars has always had that.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument, just my view on it.

2. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

Fair enough, I stand corrected on some points...you'v obviously been paying more keen attention to the details than me....I'm just yearning for some more adult themes...I'll just have to wait and see....

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I'm sure we'll get them. But we might just have to wait until season two or something.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I don't mean to be pessimistic about the tone but I don't believe Rebels will ever get as dark as CW managed to. I'm sure there will be moments of darkness in later seasons but I don't foresee a season of rebels where Kanan is repeatedly beaten up

5. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I still think Kanan is going to die eventually. But maybe I'm just being depressing.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Another planet liberated through the Base Delta Zero Initiative". Could be the usual Imperial way of putting a spin on their atrocities - "liberated" instead of razed. Or it could be that BDZ has been redefined slightly.

7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah. I hope we get some more clarification on it. I mean, we have the legends description on it. (Unless because it was mentioned it's canon now?) So, I hope that it remains the same and hasn't been defined or changed at all. You know, I keep wondering whether Lothal will end up with the same fate.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Base_Delta_Zero

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't see this happening, at all. Rebels will not be nearly as violent, dark, or even graphic at time (clone troopers suffocating in the vacuum of space) as TCW. I just don't see that happening. It airs on Disney XD.

9. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    They could still hint at it though. Like Kanan not 'coming back' or them leaving him behind and Hera being really upset. Plus, Sabine shot a storm trooper in the head point blank and killed him. Running someone through with a lightsaber won't be much different. And don't forget we saw Luminara take her last breath before turning into a corpse. I don't think Kanan dying on screen will be a problem unless it's GOT violent.

Though; I fully expect the Inquisitor to die as some point. Hopefully by Vader's hand.

10. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Hinting is not the same, an still makes it feel more juvenile in nature. Luminara was already a corpse and crygenically (or some other method) frozen. I think you need to go back and see some of the deaths in TCW to see how much different the tone really is. There were burning holes in characters chests in TCW from blasters and from when Ventress ran characters through with her lightsaber. I do agree with you though that if someone does die, it will most likely be handled off screen to minimize the impact.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Lol. I know about the deaths in the Clone Wars so I really don't need to go back and look at it again thanks. She was a corpse yes, but her looking up at Kanan and walking towards the coffin and disappearing was a hologram of her execution. So, that breath you see against the glass is her last one before she 'dies'. That's pretty sick and disturbing when you think about it. Sometimes being subtle can have a bigger impact though yes. We don't need 'violence all the time' to have a huge impact. I'm not saying we won't get that eventually but right now it's doing fine. And I'm sure we will see lightsaber induced deaths. Star Wars has always had things like that and children still watch it. Just because it's on Disney XD doesn't mean it won't happen, but it does mean that the violence won't be as 'in your face'.

12. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I have been enjoying this series very much so far. All 8 episodes I have seen! This is not TCW. I loved TCW too at that. But this show is a whole new ball of wax for the SW universe. I don't understand the comparisons made to TCW and this series? They are 2 different stories, feel and focus. TCW was a series that was based on a giant full scale war. There were major battles going on everywhere. Rebels is based on a small group that is not yet trying to restore freedom to the galaxy, but just trying to help the citizens that have been hurt by the empire some help. I don't mind the Rodians in the background in this series. If you think back to ANH, the Rodians in Mos Eisley all looked the same! But this show was rushed to be put on air to coincide with the release of episode 7. This show will contain elements that will in some way shape or form be in episode 7. That is why it was rushed the way it was. This show is also made up of characters that are not well known in the SW universe. TCW characters were for the most part well established by the time that show was released. Rebels is set in a time where there are no major wars going on yet. There is no rebellion established yet. So all it is is just skirmishes going on around the galaxy. Very small ones at that. So yes the story arcs will be smaller than the ones in TCW. TCW had politicians, Jedi, Sith, Bounty Hunters, CIS, Republic military and so on. Rebels is focused on a small group and some backwater imperials.

13. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Its pretty bad.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

14. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I guess it just depends. I don't think it is. *shrug* But I'm sure they'll have some new character models for the second season.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't need anything to be dark for the sake of being dark and deaths do not automatically make something dark. Even if its a really dark terrible looking death its just there unless its moving plot or adding weight to the situation in the case of countless mook deaths like clone troopers, or I actually care about the character and feel for the death. TCW used most deaths to let us know war sucks and kills people, the deaths are often pointless and evil people kill people painfully sometimes in ways. TCW really shifted tones toward the end of season one with the Ryloth arc but really matured in season 4. I find Rebels does have a lighter more humorous tone with some heavy action sequences that reminds me alot of Gargoyles. I don't blame that on the animation. That's just the tone the show has. Its not meant to be exactly like TCW. Rebels has still had some moments that seemed fairly grim such as Luminara, the implications of what happened to Zeb's, The Abandoned TCW Base and The Imperial Cadets even though those things happened off screen. I think we'll get there in time. Its starting to look like most if now all of team Ghost have tragic pasts which may be the glue that actually unites them.

16. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    My ten year old son intimated that he didn't like the animated series. He couldn't state why,but I told him, "I get it. No need to explain."

17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    What did you think of the Force Awakens trailer/teaser if you don't mind my asking?

18. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013

I think some how we can blame this on the Longhorn Network.

19. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013

No comparison in quality. What did you think?

20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    I think I'm going to enjoy the movie. But I've been avoiding spoilers for the most part.

21. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013

I'm glad you are avoiding spoilers and I sympathize. I've had minor arguments with a friend who has insisted on revealing what I deem to be spoilers.

December 2015 cannot come soon enough.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Kanan repeatedly getting beat up would not be "dark." It would be a gratuitously horrible attempt to piss on the character.

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think a better example would have been the torture the Emperor inflicted on Luke in ROTJ. The sadistic way the Emperor kept laughing and shocking Luke was dark IMO.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I could see the Inquisitor doing that to Kanan at least once.

Repeatedly would be bad though.

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I get more annoyed by protagonists who get kidnapped ask the time. I can take a protagonist getting beat up all the time as long as he wins occasionally and does seem like he could at least beat Professor Chaos in a fight.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk