main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph I Fell Into the Well of Lost Plots- Jasper Fforde Ffans

Discussion in 'Community' started by Commander-DWH, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Is Shades of Grey a different series, or one of the sequels? [face_worried]

2. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    Shades of Grey is a different, unrelated series about a futuristic world where people have limited color perception. Your color perception determines your social status. It's Fforde jumping into the deep end of the pool of sci-fi. A lot of people loved it, I just did not care for it. There should be a sequel coming out at some point.

His new one - the Last Dragonslayer - sounds like it's more up my alley.

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Okay, good - I was having visions of something bad happening to a character I like 8-}

4. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    No worries. :)

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Can't believe I forgot about this thread 8-}

I finished the first THursday quartet and really enjoyed it, more and more as I went along. Very fantastic :D And very unusual, so kudos to him.

I'm going to read Nursrey Crimes, but (even though I picked up First Among Sequels and read the back cover and was really interested) I'm going to wait until the second quartet is out (or at least more out) because I hate gaps and cliffhangers :p

Brief things of awesomeness: I'm glad she got Landen back [face_love] Though it sucks for him because he has memories of those two years that have her and their kid disappearing. I also really like that Friday becomes the head of the ChronoGuard, and that Colonel Next (apparently?) gets exonerated - I wonder what happens to his former partner. The revelation about Gran Next was really cool - awesome death scene - though I accidentally got spolied because halfway through Something Rotten I read through R1.5's casting in the thread again :p

6. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I did not know this thread existed. Nice! Now if theres a Terry Pratchett thread here somewhere I'll be doubly stoked.

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  8. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    Awesomeness abounds

9. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I liked Shades Of Grey. It has a different tone than the Thursday Next series but it is just as clever and very funny. I look forward to Fforde's resolution of the mysteries he set up in the first book.

I'm wary of the Last Dragonslayer b/c it is billed as a young adult novel (I don't see how Jasper's writing can get any more childish :p) and couldn't initially find a publisher in America. I'll give it a look when it is available in the States.

10. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    I wouldn't knock the young reader books just yet. I had the same issue with Pratchetts last book. My buddy bought it on his way through London when he was on leave. Since he paid for it I read it. Gotta tell you, if it didnt say Young adult or whatever on the jacket I wouldn't have known. Jasper no doubt can pull it off just as nicely.

11. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I won't dismiss it without giving it a try. Fforde hasn't disappointed me, yet.

He has too many plates spinning right now. I remember the days when he published one TN novel per year. Now, with so many series going, inevitably one or more gets put on the back burner or goes years without an installment.

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    :( I know One of Our Thursday is Missing is coming out soon, and I'm DYING to read it and First Among Sequels, but I know I wouldn't be able to wait between books, so I'm holding off until the full second quartet is out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.