main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I figured it out: Seeing the saga as one or two trilogies

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by colivo, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    I have finally figured why there will be arguments over which trilogy is better, and I think I have a solution to why it is this way.

After ROTS, do you see the saga as one big story or two trilogies?

If you see it as two trilogies, you will probably never love the prequels. I personaly see a quality drop in the three prequels film when I compare them to the OT, IMO. Unfortunately, that has led me to look at them as two seperate trilogies, the one I kinda like, and the one I love. That was not Lucas' intention, his intention was to watch them as one big story.

If you are able to see them as one story, you probably enjoyed the prequels more, and will definitely enjoy them more in the future. You don't feel there are many plot holes, and think Lucas did a good job weaving them together.

I don't think either party is wrong, because it is just an opinion. Unfortunately, I just think I will always see them as two trilogies, and that has made realize that the prequels, to me in the future, probably won't hold up as well. But if you are able to watch 1-6 and enjoy them as one story, you will enjoy this saga more than the other camp will.

2. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    It's something in between for me. I view it as one story consisting of two big chapters, each of which tells the story of one Skywalker generation for the personal side - and with respect to the political part of the plot the prequels tell about the fall of the republic and the Jedi order, and the beginning of the empire, while the OT tells about the rebellion of the empire and the renewal of the Jedi.

The prequels have changed my perception of the OT dramatically, and definately for the better of it. There is so much more depth to the story and the characters since I've seen the PT backstory and the links between the two chapters.
    I think Lucas and team did an incredible job weaving them together - both with regard to story and characters as well as visually.

3. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    You're probably correct. I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy all the movies and watch them as one story. All six films are truely magical. =D=

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I dont see a "quality drop" but the transition isnt seamless. The PT and OT are so visually, stylistically, tonally different, and their pacing and plotting is much different as well. Additionally, the OT is a patchwork of storyline's, and the PT doesnt quite match together seamlessly. You can tell much of it is invented on the fly, and that there is a large gap between the making of the trilogies. Some of this can be smoothed out by re-editing/enhancing the OT a little more but certain things inherant in the OT itself will never quite match with the prequels.

Nevertheless though, having said that, i DO see it as one saga in six chapters. There are inconsistencies once we get to ANH that will never sit quite right (and no, i'm not talking about nitpicky plot "errors") but regardless there is enough continuity that it still feels like a continuation of the saga--ESB and ROTJ work even better.

So yes, the series works as a six-part saga--but i still believe that further tweaking is needed to tie everything together more concretely.

5. bubba_dahutt

bubba_dahutt Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    The PT is Book I and the OT is Book II of which they are both a part of one Novel or one Saga.

6. Obi-Dude1007

Obi-Dude1007 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 21, 2005
    Although RoTS is not my favorite of the prequels, it was the one that had the most impact on me. I always loved Star Wars, but after seeing RoTS, I have been more interested in it than ever before. It brought the saga together for me. After I saw RoTS for the first time, I came home from the theater and watched ANH...it finally all made sense. I now see Star Wars as a saga and not two trilogies. ;)

7. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I see them as one big trilogy. With 1-3 as ther first act and 4-6 as the second. To me there one big movie that took 28 years to make.

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I see it as one saga.

9. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    What exactly did you figure out? All you did was point out that there are still two groups of people. There are those whole like the PT and see it all as one Saga, and then there are those who don't like the PT and see it 2 seperate trilogies. Wow, what a newsflash. I read this opinion myself in Insider's "Duh" section. You've basically started a whole new thread to tell everyone what they could probably figure out for themselves by reading your other posts.

10. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    I see it as a one Saga, with two different tastes in it.
    And I love both of them.

11. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    It's a saga now. I can't see the CT without the PT. I look at the CT, thinking DV used to be a caring kid, now look what he's become because of the lust for power and a woman. Though there's a 20 yr gap between trilogies, it seems like one epic.

12. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i dont understand the people who didnt understand the OT without the PT, if anything i think the PT over complicates the OT, not make it clearer

13. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    also people bring up that the PT is grey while the OT is black and white tonally, so how are such opposite things supposed to match up?

14. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    Im guessing you didnt really like the prequels too much, oh well you're loss.

36 YEARS
    6 EPISODES
    1 SAGA

15. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    As much as I like the prequels its really easy to see where PT bashers are only willing to accept RotS as part of the SW " Saga " and dismiss the other two prequels. I dont know if it was purposely done but to me, RotS, more than any other SW film ( even ANH ) works as a stand alone film and on top of that you have three movies in chronological order ( RotS, ANH, and ESB ) that are darker and more adult in nature then the other 3. That said I like to think of it as one Saga. The only entry I find marginal is TPM. With everything said and done now I find it safe to say that Lucas really dropped the ball with that all important first prequel entry and its damage spread, perception-wise, into AotC, which I think is the most under-rated of all the SW films precisely because of how TPM turned off the old schoolers. It took over six years of waiting to cure that. I mean the evidence is in black and white in this very web site with many PT bashers talking about how episode 3 would be the only prequel that mattered after being disappointed by TPM. Off course its not true, but as Ive said - its understandable.

16. mynameismyown

Jun 7, 2005
    exactly, tpm turned me off except for the end scene with lil' anakin in his jedi outfit, i thought to myself, "oh were going to have to wait for the second one to finally get to it"

17. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, at least you're fair and call it straight down the middle. You acknowledge that you see it as one saga, but you can understand how people were turned off royally by TPM, and somewhat by AOTC.

Most PT defenders just say take it or leave it, I don't want to hear negativity, this is Lucas vision, and I will not question it.

I respect anyone that is able to see it is as one saga, and in a sense I really envy them, cause I REALLY wish I felt this way, but I don't respect all their defensiveness when you argue that TPM & AOTC could have been better, and that is what is hurting the saga, when 1/3 of the 6 part saga are average movies, IMO, but watch, people will read that statement above the I will get ripped to shreds for saying it.

18. Zaphod_Kenobi

Zaphod_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2005
    Well, now that we have the whole story, is the OT really so black and white? Is Darth Vader still the big, bad-ass menace we saw him as in '77? Are Darth Vader's motivations in ESB and RotJ truly good or evil, or do they reside on the line in between? I'll leave the answering of these questions up to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.