main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Finally got Gamer#8, INCREDIBLE!!!! Check it out!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tsavong_Lah, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I see He's used his "Jeedai Powers" to fool you as well.

They don't work on me.

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Oh, that's it, uh-huh, I see...hey, where's my wallet?

3. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    So do we know a street date on Gamer #8 yet?

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The police caught the guy sneaking around on my block, guess he was neither a voxyn or a vong, :D.

Someone needs to get back into reality, ;).

5. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I got it at a book store today.

From what I can tell "The Apprentice" is just a chapter from the book, cause most of it makes no sense(ie, how Kyp got there) as a stand-alone story.

wk

6. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Dan Wallace

OOOOOOOOOOHHH. I just realized who that is.

:eek: :cool:

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I was told that rogue apprentice is an original story. Only one sentence or two, from what I've heard is actually from the novel, to show you were the story fits in the novel. But everything else is original.

Is it a possibility that it was part of the novel that was cut in the editing process?

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Or cut for the purpose of sticking it in the mag without having to say it's an excerpt?

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't know, but you never know could be a possibility.

10. VaderDave

VaderDave Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2002
    Elaine came up with the idea for "The Apprentice" after she had turned over the final draft of the novel Dark Journey. By the time she actually wrote the short story, Dark Journey was probably already on its way to typesetting--it was certainly already in the galley stage.

The idea of a short story set *during* the novel sounded cool to me, as long as it stood on its own--as I believe "The Apprentice" does. Still, I knew even then that some astute readers might suspect it was a deleted chapter.

It's not.

Cheers,

Dave Gross
    Fanboy-in-Chief
    Star Wars Gamer & Star Wars Insider

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Thanks this clears everything up.

P.S. Dave, did you know that "The Apprentice" is the name of Marvel Star Wars: Annual 3's Flint Story as well?

12. VaderDave

VaderDave Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2002
    Valiento asks whether I knew that "The Apprentice" is the name of Marvel Star Wars: Annual 3's Flint Story.

Yes, but only after our resident continuity expert, the lovely and talented Michael Mikaelian (who recently became the proud daddy of a second beamish boy) pointed it out, just before press time. We thought about it for a few minutes, then decided that changing the title in the 11th hour wasn't worth the coolness of avoiding the repetition. After all, those who knew enough to spot the duplication would naturally be of exceptional intelligence and dashing good looks, surely the sort of reader who'd understand that a good title is, after all, a good title.

Besides, Kyle was getting cranky by that stage of the production process, and we sure didn't want to be the ones to tell him he had to redesign the title and change the table of contents. That Kyle is a master of kung fu, I tell you. Don't let his 1972 British Mod look fool you.

Ciao,

Dave

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    LOL.

Well, the front cover of the magazine happens to call the story, "Rogue Apprentice", so I think I'll call it by that if you don't mind, ;). To avoid confusion, [face_laugh].

Thanks for answering our questions, :D.

P.S. Congrats to you michael, if you get the chance to read this.

14. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Hey, where can you get Gamer? Honestly, I don't read SW magazines. But this stuff makes me mad I'm not getting it! Does it have a website? Where do they sell the mags?

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    If it's not a deleted chapter, and it's not an existing chapter, then I have no idea how it's going to fit in with DJ. Kinda seems like some of the stuff that happened in the story would be important and shouldn't be left out (ie. Kyp teaching Jaina how to erase memories, Jaina erasing Lowie's memory)

Guess I'll just have to wait til the book comes out .....

wk

16. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I have a feeling that "Apprentice" was part of DJ. I hope not

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lelila, read the VaderDave posts before yours(He is the gamer magazine head-editor). There is the official word of how DJ fits, and how it was designed. It explains everything.

18. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    "The Expanded Universe is a wonderful smorgasbord, and if you come across something you don?t like don?t put it on your plate?

Thats what I've been trying to say with my sig!! I'm glad someone else agrees with a moron like me!

[Edit] Oh, and VaderDave, I know you are only the editor-in-chief, but can you tell me why I didn't get Issue #7 and If I will get Issue #8??

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, if you don't like something you aren't forced to read it. But still it belongs to the overall arching official continuity, no arguement about that(but you still don't have to read if you don't want too).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.