main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I find their lack of skills disturbing

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BadCane, Jan 6, 2016.

1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i think people often question thing's but don't look at the big picture at why something is done in a movie. Not only is it meant to show how powerful Sidious is, it's also done to get those jedi out of the way quickly, because the longer it went the more unrealistic it would be for him to be knocking them off one by one.

2. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    this is really neat and I actually wish the fight was like this instead of what was in the movie. it's one of the only things about ROTS i don't like all that much

on the topic of palpatine/yoda fighting with sabers, I'm all for it, if there could've been some of it in the OT, by god I would've taken it.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  3. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Holy crap - that's like 10x better... nice find

4. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008

Well, Sam Jackson was in his 50s, and Ian was in his 60s. A big difference between The Force Awakens cast. Adam Driver, the oldest of the new three, is about twenty years younger than Sam Jackson was in ROTS

5. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008

Well, Yoda had little use for a lightsabre on Dagobah, and Palpatine has been unchallenged for so long, plus he (thought he) had Vader watching his back, so why should he need a lightsabre? Hell, for all we know, he could have had one hidden somewhere in the room.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I liked the change in pace with the Sidious vs. Mace duel. There wasn't as much flipping around and saber tricks, more strategy based. I would go as far as to say the most similar in feel to the original Ben vs. Vader duel. Except for some CG moments.

Alienware likes this.
  7. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I remember when I first saw ep 3 in theaters being kinda bummed that the 3 of them went down so quickly, but oh well.... Can't believe its been so long

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Yoda has no lightsaber after ROTS. He loses his in the fight with Palpatine and we see he never recovers it. He flees the Senate Building with nothing but the clothes on his back. After that he goes to Dagobah and as far as we know, he never leaves. Sidious on the other hand likely kept up with his lightsaber technique. After all, he had all the time in the Galaxy. And the means to procure as many new lightsabers as he wanted. I have no doubt there was a lightsaber hidden up Palpatine's sleeve in ROTJ.

Azure_Angelus likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Newcanon Complete Locations shows a box in Yoda's hut containing "Yoda's lightsaber". Maybe he telekinetically grabbed it from the floor before heading into that tube? That, or he built a new one between ROTS and TESB.

10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    One thing I always appreciated about the EU is that it makes clear just how powerful Palpatine is something the movies struggle to convey effectively.

As for Yoda why can't he be the jumping green badA and the mentor at the same time I see no problem with him having both of those attributes something the EU also conveys well.

As for the ANH duel it's rather lame and makes it seem light saber dueling is just some parrying and poking if I wanted to see that I'd watch an old King Arthur movie or something.

And I always think it was best both for minutiae storytelling and theme wise that Yoda lost his saber after the failed attempt on Palpatine's life. The sith have won and he must go into hiding. That makes sense that he loses his ability for combat in that case.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always liked Mace Windu's character and was genuinely underwhelmed by the ST duel so I see where he is coming from.

12. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I know its not canon anymore but when you think about this Kit Fisto

and this one

its a big let down [face_laugh]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The fact that they went down so quickly showed(or attempted to show) just how powerful Palpatine was.

Alienware and dsematsu like this.
  14. dsematsu

dsematsu Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2013
    Not only that but I think it's because they faced him with imperfect courage. I think they were afraid. Some of the greatest of all Jedi lost to Palpatine's pupil, let alone Palpatine himself. If you knew that Dooku defeated Obi-Wan and Anakin at the same time, what chance do you think you would have against Dooku's master? Obi-Wan and Anakin were both stronger than any of the Jedi who went down quickly. It makes sense they'd be afraid. And you certainly can't be afraid while fighting Sith. That is one of the key lessons in Star Wars. You must face your fear and overcome it. Windu was the only one who was up to it.

15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It was a not well-conceived way to show how powerful Palpatine is. I'd like to think that he genuinely would lose to Mace because surely taking out the other 3 masters so quickly required a lot of energy.