main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I GET IT! I REALLY GET IT!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Mar 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    *catches breath*

Okay, here's the deal, you know how many Star Wars fans will now say that Anakin's theme should be in the SE of ROTJ when Vader finally picks up the Emperor and tosses him over the edge in the Death Star II? Well, it DOES seem to work, and I kind of agreed..... until now! I was doing my normal Satuday morning chores with my CD Walkman (the ones that NEVER skip :D) and ROTJ playing. I was thinking about that specific scene with Vader and the Emp and Annie's theme and all. Then it hit me. The reason JW used the Force Theme is because in a way, it's also the Jedi theme, since they use the Force. You see, the moment Vader picked up the Emperor, THAT was the 'return of the Jedi'. That moment is when the Jedi returned after 10 years of disappearance. Luke had confronted Vader (making him a Jedi), but he was dying and there would be no more Jedi. When Vader picked Palpy up, he returned to being a Jedi, and the Jedi order survived - or "Returned"- because Luke lived on.

So, in a nutshell, the reason JW used the force theme is because he signaled the Return of the Jedi with their theme playing loudly and powerfully!

Whoa, that was quite a mouthful, I just figured that out and I'm glad to share it with you.

~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

2. Y2Jedi

Y2Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2001
    I can agree with that. I have always associated the Force theme w/the Jedi. So what you said makes perfect sense.

3. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Very Good,sithman!!I've always believed that the title "Return of the Jedi"was indicative of more than one thing also.Not only Vader's return, but Luke's ascension.The use of the force theme in that scene was definitely to show that Anakin had returned from the darkness.

Coincidentally,that same theme is also "Obi-Wan's theme" as well.

Now...I would like to challenge you to find other uses of that same theme in the films and talk about what you think it means in those particular scenes.

How about I start?Okay...In the "Phantom Menace" when Qui-Gon is cutting through that door,we hear the theme.The instrumentation of the theme is very brash and up front,I thought that this showed Qui-Gon's total determination and focus.

Hey,this should be fun :)

4. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Go Sithy!!!

5. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Heh, glad I could share it with you all. :D

Sorry if I sounded a little hyper up there, I was just REALLY pumped! More comments please!

~Sithman~

6. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    I like that idea, Sithman. :) Good thinking.

7. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Great job, Sithman! That is really very cool! I do believe I agree with you. :D

8. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    No, I like it as it is.

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Er, wait, are you agreeing with me or not? I can't really tell, James.

~Sithman~

10. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Vader throwing the Emperor into the abyss was one of the great moments of the trilogy, and Williams' music really enhances it.

11. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    The Force theme definitely fits in there; overcoming the Emperor's theme as the symbol of the good side overcoming the dark side. Wonderful! That part always makes me teary-eyed.

As for other uses of the Force theme, how about when Luke is calling out to Leia on Cloud City (well, under Cloud City) in ESB, and the Force theme comes pulsing in, pounding almost like a heart beat? I think that's very appropriate for the bond between brother and sister.

12. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I like the Force theme in there, it has some amazing sybolic style and essence to it.

13. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Nice on Cinde!:)

Here's one you may already know.How about the use of the Force theme at the awards ceremony in ANH,to show how the virtues of Obi-Wan led Luke to victory?

I also liked how the theme was used in TPM when Anakin was leaving his mother.That was very symbolic of his "heeding" the call of the Force.

14. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Took you long enough, Sithman. :p

Didn't you ever wonder why the Imperial March wasn't playing when Vader threw Palpatine into the core? Because the Jedi in him overtook the Sith and the Jedi theme is the same as the Force theme and Obi-Wan's theme.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    \\hurt look on face\\ :(

~Sithman~

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Coolness...I never really thought about that idea; Anakin's Theme just doesn't seem to fit the overall 'mood' of the scene.

A place, IMO, where it would fit: Anakin's death scene. Don't get me wrong, the one-instrument Imperial March is great, but this is Anakin who's dying, not Vader, and it should be his theme that's playing.

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, I love the Imperial March... but even more so because of the way it's played. An analysis:

The Empire is dying, Vader is dying (whos theme the Imperial March is), and those pitsicatto strings of the Imperial March are like the last dying gasps of the Empire. Vader's heart is dying, and with him is *all* of his evil. The Imperial March goes from the power and might of the Star Destroyer fleet in ESB played with power, to the death of the Empire played with weekness, sadness, and yes, even a little pity for the man who used to embody the powerful version of the March. It's perfect.

Vader is not a little boy Anakin anymore without any worries, he is still struggling with evil, but by the tone of the Imperial March (which signifies evil), you can tell he's getting closer and closer to becoming all the way on the light side. Then at the end, his march dies slowly away.... Never to be heard again.

-An analysis by Sithiness Inc.

Comments? I'd love to hear them!

~Sithman~

18. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Well, I always saw the delicate, gentle version of the Imperial March as a form of Anakin's theme. That's why I thought it was positively glorious when JW made Anakin's theme end with hints of the Impy March. What genius! :D Yes, it could be seen as symbolic as the death of the Empire and Vader as well, and then the Force theme at Anakin's funeral shows the triumph of the light side. but Vader's theme does kind of morph into Anakin's theme when he dies, in a way.

19. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, I WAS going to mention how, just 2 scenes later, the Force Theme comes in at it's strongest, JUST after the weak version of the Empire. The music therefore tells it's own story. It describes how DV and the Empire are dying (how I lengthely described above) and then how the Jedi are now the strongest in the galaxy with the spine-tingling version of the Force Theme. :D Sheesh! I really COULD go on forever!
    BTW, it's nice to have your in-depth look and analysis to my analysises always, CON (Cinde of Naboo).

~Sithman~

20. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    I agree with everyones placement of certain themes, but look at what you're saying. You could put many themes in many places and it would still make sense. I think john williams still put everything in the right place.

21. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    lol, dude! Gimme examples!

Um, yeah, Princess Leia's theme would fit in good for when Vader picks up the Emperor, right? ;) You can't really say that, you have to prove or argue your point.

~Sithman~

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Uppers. I just thought that this relavation was so cool, more people must know!

~Sithman~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.