main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I got a new pc...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by G_Lucas_8_my_hamster, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

G_Lucas_8_my_hamster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    that has a TV tuner card in it. I plugged in my aerial but the pic is not great. The aerial is an outside one attached to the roof. I was thinking of using a booster on it but dont know if its worth it. Is there better aerials (i've been reading about one's with bigger bandwith etc) to buy? Aerials for digital? Plus i was thinking of using my Freeview Digital TV decoder box on the pc (though I still have to use an aerial with it and the pic has to be good to get a good digital pic). So any idea's on a good set up to get a decent pic on the pc and maybe get the digital channels on my pc too? Cheerz.

2. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Does anyone know what i'm talking about? :p

3. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Probably the best thing to do is get an aerial amplifier to boost the signal on reception, because I'm assuming you can receive all channels through your existing aerial.

As for your Freeview decoder to TV card, just connect your aerial to the digital decoder and put an RF loop through to the TV card (similar to what you would do if it was your TV). Can I ask what other connections are on the TV card?

4. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Is there not specific aerials designed to pic up digital signals better than the present aerials (which i think are referred to as analogue aerials).

The connections on the card are- a connection for a modem (Modem RJ-11), an Antenna Input Radio socket and an Antenna Input TV socket.

5. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    You are right about aerials specific to digital TV, however these are for helping you to receive selected frequencies or multiplexes which you cannot receive on a bog-standard aerial. If you are receiving the transmission ok, but the picture or sound is a bit naff, you should look at just an amplifier to boost the existing received signal.

6. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Though if i replaced the aerial with a specific aerial to receive digital then would that not do the same thing plus getting me a better pic? What if i used this new aerial to plug into my digi box? Cuz at the moment- even with a booster- the pic is excellent on the digi box with the TV but its still not receiving the full signal.

7. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Though if i replaced the aerial with a specific aerial to receive digital then would that not do the same thing plus getting me a better pic?

Yeah suppose, but there are many other factors that could affec the quality of your transmission. It is a major misconception that a brilliant aerial will guarantee a perfect picture.

What if i used this new aerial to plug into my digi box? Cuz at the moment- even with a booster- the pic is excellent on the digi box with the TV but its still not receiving the full signal.

I wouldn't worry to much about receiving full signal, to be honest this doesn't mean a great deal, if your picture and sound are good on 80% signal strength, then farting around trying to get the other 20% would be academic. If your picture is good on the TV with the digibox, then there is no problem with you aerial.

Is your antenna TV input a co-axial?

8. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    Umm... its an aerial lead! :p Not too sure- how do i know?

9. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Aerial lead = Co-axial.

Bull**** baffles brains!! :p

Try outside aerial to digibox, and a RF loop through (a connecting wire with co-axials on both ends) from the digibox to the TV card. However I think you will have problems with the quality because of no scart. Try it and let us know what happens ;)

10. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    I'm thinking of buying a new aerial- the one I'm using is a bit old. Any recommendations on a good indoor one or do i still need to whack the aerial outside?

11. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    Your definately better sticking the aerial outside to allow for better reception, especially since your using digital transmissions which can be fickle depending on the modulation of the signal.

As for a good aerial I'm not sure as it a long time since ours was done. If I get any recommendations I'll post and let you know.

12. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    and a RF loop through

Ummm... got a pic of one of them? :p I am on slow mo today!!

13. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    I can't find one on the internet.

Just go into an home-electronics store and ask for a cable to connect from an aerial-out on a digital free-to-view receiver to an aerial-in on a TV. They're a couple of quid so if they charge you more, tell em where to go!

14. G_Lucas_8_my_hamster

Aug 6, 2002
    would this lead not be supllied by the digibox manufacturers?

15. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    What make of freeview box did you get in the end? Some only have Scart output whilst some come really well equipped.

16. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    would this lead not be supllied by the digibox manufacturers?

Could be, it depends who makes your box. I didn't get one with my Sony box, but had one languishing around the house.

17. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

G_Lucas_8_my_turkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    @ Moylesy- The box i bought in September (but havent used in my bedroom yet as its still boxed and i only opened it there for the first time- which is typical of me :p ) is a Philips DTR1500. It only seems to have scart and RF output- whether that is good enough?

@ D_M- doesnt seem that lead is with it. there is a lead but how do i know if its a RF- and i noticed there are RF cables for digital when surfing the web- are these probably better to use?

18. Darth_MacDaddy

Apr 10, 2003
    @ D_M- doesnt seem that lead is with it. there is a lead but how do i know if its a RF- and i noticed there are RF cables for digital when surfing the web- are these probably better to use?

If its an RF cable it will connect into the aerial on the rear of your TV and on the aerial out on the digibox. I'm not sure about RF cables for digital, but I'd imagine they would be better - best check the spec first before you buy one because they may be different only in name, if you catch my drift.

19. G_Lucas_8_my_turkey

G_Lucas_8_my_turkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2003
    Maybe go to PC World tonite and get some advice!!! THE CROWDS! THE CROWDS!!! AAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

But thanks for you and Moylesy's help, D_M! :)

20. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Presumably you can't have an external aerial for some reason? Have you access to the Loft? We used to live in a conservation area and all aerials had to be actually inside the roof space, so we put up the biggest one we could find, worked a treat.

Get your DTR1500 unpacked and set up you lazy git! Apparently it is one of the best boxes for a weak signal so it may actually boost what you already have.

Connect an aerial lead* from your Digibox to the TV Card, make sure you have all the correct software settings and give it a go.

* You don't need anything fancy like gold-plated jobbies just keep it as short as possible.

PS: Go to PC World for what? [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.