main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I got to use Depa's "going sane" idea from Shatterpoint in my English class today!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedi_master_ousley, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    And no one knew it was from a Star Wars book.

We were discussing Catcher in the Rye and whether or not we thought Holden was mentally insane and should be in the mental ward like he was at the end of the book.

I decided to take Depa's concept and relate it to what we were talking about.

I said that perhaps in realizing the "phonies" in society (a major part of the book) that perhaps he realized the insanity around him and went sane. The rest of the world saw his sanity as being insane because they believed that they were sane and he wasn't.

Then I brought up that since being insane is the normal, would being insane actually mean being sane, and therefore classify Holden as insane?

Most people didn't get it, but a few people did and thought it was a pretty cool idea. I didn't mention I got it from Shatterpoint though. :p

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    :cool: You get the EU gold star for the day!

What'd your teacher think?

3. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I don't think she really understood it, to tell the truth. She just kinda said "yeah" and went on to the next person. A few people understood it though. Someone said he thinks someday I'll write something like The Matrix movies. :p

4. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    That's awesome! I can see how your class got a bit confused, though, it's easier to read that kind of thing.

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

5. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    My guess is that most people in my class wouldn't understand it too well if they read it either. ;)

6. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Ooh, major diss!

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

7. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    The sad thing is that its the honors english class. I really do not think some of the people in there should be in there. Oh well. :p

8. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Hey! You used that with me in your PM! 8-}

But nice. I bet half my advanced English class wouldn't have gotten it either... :D :(

9. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep, and I used it in another PM too. That's what gave me the idea to use it in English class. :p

10. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Nice, Ousley. :p

"Advanced/Honors English" is just a device to separate the well-behanved kids from the disruptive kids.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It could be looked that way, then again a lot of the kids in advanced/honors classes want to learn, thus making their behavior better.

I once applied the same thing to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and a lot of the people thought I was insane. :(

12. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Sounds like your honors english class is just like mine.....

13. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I paraphrased a fair bit of the prologue to Traitor in one of my English essays dealing with emotive links to color and symbolism.

Thank you Mr Stover. :cool:

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yeah, but did you write an entire research paper on "Philosophy in Literature" with the main focus being on Traitor? I got a B only because of grammar errors. :(

15. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I should get to start Traitor tomorrow. I only have about 80 pages left in Rebel Stand. :D

And I added the going sane thing into an essay I had to write about the same subject. The topic was:

The Catcher in the Rye is a comment on insensitivity of modern society. Holden is a hero who stands against the false standards and hypocrisy that almost all others accept. As much as he would like to accept the world and be comfortable like almost everyone else, he can't pretend that society is worthwhile.

I used a bunch of stuff from the book to back this up, then brought up that perhaps he had gone sane while the world around him was insane.

16. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    Congrats, Ousley.

You've become me.

I do SW stuff every single day in my English class. Only I'm a lot more blatant about it. I've used Chewie and Anakin's deaths in commentaries about compassion in the world for short story units, Jacen Solo's lessons from Vergere in Traitor and his vision in Balance Point as a basis for someone's entire lifestyle, the concept of ascension to a higher level of understanding many times...and I can do a flawless Darth Vader.

I also did the Matrix "super-duper-avoid-the-bullets-dance" for a presentation. They thought it was hella good.

17. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I can't wait until next semester. I'm taking a class on Philosophy and Values, where we'll discuss stuff like, "Is war ever justified?", along with the morality of several other issues.

I'm so totally busting out Traitor.

18. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "Is war justified?"

you should read Starship Troopers, by Rober A. Heinlien. But Traitor would be good too.

19. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    Speaking of Traitor, I finally got to get started on it today. :D

20. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    That's not really an English class topic. It's more related to philosophy. The main question is whether the majority gets to dictate what the norm should be. Then we get into questions about whether it is human nature to lump together based on similarities and condemn all those who are different.

Yep, definitely a deeper discussion that we really didn't get into until our senior year of high school, in an advanced college English course. :p I think most American high school students don't WANT to think about these things since fitting in is such an important concept to them. Only when you get to college do you really notice that people have changed. Perhaps they felt safer in their secluded microchasm where they were the big fish in the little pond, but being in a huge college environment might have negative effects on some people while it could HELP others. (Speaking as someone who benefited immensely from college. ;) )

Yeah, I think I spoke a little too much about that. But after reading what I wrote (unless you decide that it's tl, dr ;) ), maybe you can understand why your fellow classmates might be a bit behind. Us Star Wars geeks mature faster. :p

Jae Angel

ED: Speeling

21. jeedai_master_ousley

jeedai_master_ousley Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2003
    Makes sense to me, NJ.

22. Nil-Spaar

Nil-Spaar Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2003
    I wish I knew the EU existed back in school! It would of made things a lot easier when it came to cheat- um, I mean, finding inspiration! haha. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.