main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC I got yer GOOD thread right here!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Lightsabre, Mar 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    There are many parallels between the SW Universe and our world. One such parallel is from Arthurian legend. Granted others may be better-versed in Arthurian lore than I, but hear me out.

Merlin, a magician, a master of the black arts, was powerful at a time when magic was king and ever pervasive. Merlin straddled the line between what was right and what was necessary. It was a time of turmoil and war between fueding clans. He was called upon by Uther Pendragon to, in essence, dictate the future or change an outcome already set by fate. Merlin had to invoke the dragon's breath, a spell of evil, to ensure the ourcome. This outcome was a child, one who would bring balance. Just before Uther dies, he strikes a stone with his enchanted sword, excalibur, a sword that he alone controlled. Merlin flees with infant Arthur and leaves him with another family, to raise him as their own.

Years later, an adolescent Arthur, a meeger and subservient lad, pulls the sword from the sotne as his destiny is revealed. Merlin reaoppears to guide Arthur. Soon, Arthur builds Camelot and the round table (jedi council) and an era of prosperity and enlightenment. However, stagnation and gluttony lead to despair and a new evil emerges and disrupts Camelot. With the help of the Grail, Arthur returns balance to the world.

Still with me? Here's the parallel. Obi-Wan is to train Anakin, the chosen one. We know not what happens in the next two episodes yet, but we know that Obi-Wan somehow fails in Anakin's training, perhaps even betrays him. Perhaps Anakin has to touch the dark side to affect an outcome (dragon's breath). Anakin's only son is whisked away by Obi-Wan to Owen and Beru to raise with the hope that someday Luke will be trained in the ways of the force. Fate has it that Luke comes into contact with Old Ben, a crazy wizard (Merlin). Ben reveals Luke's true past (Merlin to Arthur) and presents to him his father's lightsabre (excalibur). Luke joins the rebellion and soon confronts his father to overcome evil and help restore the balance.

Thoughts? Additions?

2. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    This IS a good thread. :)

Back in high school we were learning about Spartan society. I found plenty of parallels between their society and the prequel-era galaxy. The Spartans would take their youth to be trained as warriors from a very young age. They would live away from their families, and were taught by older warriors. The boys would also have their hair trimmed short. Once these boys became men and soldiers for their state, they were allowed to grow their hair long.

The parallels? Force sensitive children were also taken from their families to be trained from a very young age. They were also taught by older warriors, or Jedi Masters to be more precise. Jedi Padawans have their hair trimmed short save for the Jedi knottop and braid. Jedi Knights are also allowed to let their hair grow long, as seen in Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (in Episode II).

That's about all I can think of right now. Keep the ideas coming. :)

3. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    That's some good comparisons there, I've always like King Arthur stories.

The only thing I can think of just off the top of my head is well Russian Gymnists, taken from their homes at young ages to be trained by those more skillful. Their destiny is the olympics but not all will make it yet there is always one that seems to stand out from all the others.

Wow that's pathetic, sorry.

4. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Great thread. I have always liked the comparisons to the Aurthurian legends, especially the Knights of the Round Table in relation to the Jedi Council.

5. Otter

Otter Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2001
    Star Wars and angel lore:

Vader is Lucifer, fallen from the Grace of God (the good side of the Force).

Guess that makes Luke and Leia Nephilim!

6. Dark_SithLord

Dark_SithLord Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Hmmmmm...Interesting
    But I have no idea on what to say in here, as I haven't heard the story of SW's alternate universe before.
    To create the Jedi/Sith they obviously just got different parts of different races from different timesand added them together.
    Hmmm..that doesn't really make much sense...ah well, who cares.

7. JEDIPAULAW

JEDIPAULAW Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I agree with your perspective otter, a lot of star wars has religious connotations eg the force is a religion, the jedis wear monk like clothes etc, darth maul loooks like the devil, horns, is red and black etc

8. darklord_119

darklord_119 Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2001
    Cool you are the city rep. Anyways i must admit that the simularity of the story to star wars is quite true. And the only thing i can think of that comes close to star wars is lost in space. What totally riped star wars off.

9. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    In what way did "Lost in Space" Rip Star Wars off? The idea was around well before SW was even realized in GL's mind. So I can't see how that can be. If anything I would have to say it is the other way round.

However, back to the subject at hand, is it any wonder that you can find similiarties from folk lore or myth to the SW saga. Did not GL borrow these many elements and incorperated them into his story? Well I'm sure he did, he certainly borrowed from the many serials of his day, which in turn borrowed from the myths of old for insperation.

That is all.

10. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Back to the Arthur Legend...

It does sound very much the same which is kinda cool. Speaking of Excalibur, for my 21st Birthday today I got an replica of Excalibur.

[image=http://www.istnet.net.au/~forge/my_excalibur.jpg]

I got ay Lord of the Rings one as well, buts that on the other wall which my webcam won't reach. :) Now I need lightsaber! I love legends like this, which is why Star Wars is so cool.

11. Sith-Gecko

Sith-Gecko Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Hey, that's cool ... what blade was the LOTR one of? Do you know who crafted it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.