I gotta defend these 2 scenes........

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by SW3TheHolidaySpecial, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bresson Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Brodie 123:

Do you have the exact mph the cruiser was going at? I missed that.

And do we know what math was used to figure out the 10 feet above the sand figure?

Better question: Why do all discussions about Star Wars movies turn into wild flights of speculation? Can't they just be accepted as entertainment? The heroine falls out of a ship, but she survives. It's not the most important aspect of the story. Like the last poster said, it is a little like complaining that we can hear explosions in space.
  2. Bresson Jedi Youngling

star 3
    "but then again we do discuss some rather odd things in this forum that most movie goers would not even think of bothering with"

CAN I GET AN AMEN?
  3. Luke_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    AMEN, BROTHER BRESSON! LOL :D

"Why do all discussions about Star Wars movies turn into wild flights of speculation? Can't they just be accepted as entertainment? The heroine falls out of a ship, but she survives. It's not the most important aspect of the story. Like the last poster said, it is a little like complaining that we can hear explosions in space."

I think that deserves an even bigger AMEN!!! :)
  4. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Bresson

I just f'n told you why? *If* Anakin was spankin' it, and he yelled mom, wouldn't that make him seem really messed up in the head? Yes or no? Now, I'm not saying he is doing that now, but it is *suggestive* of that. Why wouldn't Lucas just have put Anakin's arms on the outside of the sheets? Why!!?!? That would have been so damn simple!?!? These people are filmakers, they wouldn't just miss something like that in my opinion. And I read it on Aldera.net. At one of the screenings, someone spoke to Mccallum afterwards, and Rick replied that they knew what that scene looked like. But even if that never happened, think about why they wouldn't they have just put his arms on the outside of the sheets??!?!?
  5. Bresson Jedi Youngling

star 3
    So they wanted us to think Anakin was spanking the wookie to his mother? Wow...
  6. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    No..they wanna suggest it though, in my opinion. Why would they not have just put his hands on top of the sheet?!?!? It's that simple, atleast to me it is. It's just how I see it. Whatever ya know? No one can deny that he looks like he's spankin' it however. So what's up with that?
  7. cratylus Jedi Knight

star 2
    Again, your focus determines your reality. Onanism-colored goggles, my friend.
  8. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thats funny. I guess he doesn't look like he's spankin' it then. Tell me, what would he have to be doing to look like he was I wonder? Even if you don't agree with the theory, you have to admit he looks like he could be doing that, even though he isn't.
  9. Luke_Clone Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm, I don't know Gretzkey... I usually try to check those kind of thoughts at the door when I go to see a SW film :)

Although I will admit that I'm sure that many people feel the same way you do. I just didn't think of it that way the first time I saw it.
  10. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Try to check what thoughts? You try to check one of the strongest and most primal human urges? Cool. Im not saying Im thinkin about hammering myself when I go to see it, but jeez. If Im not thinking about clouds when I go to a movie, and then theres a shot of the sky and some clouds in there somewhere, does that mean I don't see any clouds because I wasn't thinkin about em? What?
  11. cratylus Jedi Knight

star 2
    It's one thing to say that the scene could be interpreted that way, as a joke. It is another thing entirely to suggest that that is the only and obvious way to look at it. Your earlier posts seemed like the latter.

"Whatever it is I think I see, becomes a tootsie roll to me."

You know I've been there and that's why I figured it was just on your mind. But note that this kind of thing doesn't happen with clouds. It usually happens with subject matter like what you're talking about or with political. religious, or prejudice issues.

For example, I have met people who think that Jar Jar obviously is intended to represent a black person, and to represent all blacks as foolish. If you disagree they say you are simply not facing the truth. I imagine the people who say that the clones represent Mexican immigrants (yes, people have actually said this!) figure the same way and consider it obvious and undeniable.

A humorous example of this is the European reaction to the original film. Certain French commentators thought it was a fascist movie. Italian critics thought it was a glorification of communism. Some Germans just saw it as War against Children, because it glorified war and violence.

Certain ideas have a life of their own, and create a tootsie roll effect. It just seemed to me that yours was one of them.
  12. Lord-Gretzky Jedi Knight

star 3
    Tell me....just honestly...what would he be doing differently if he were actually spankin it?...*What would you have told him to do differently if you wanted him to look like he were masterbating?* The Jar Jar thing is far more complex an issue. This is simple. One action. If he were spankin it though, even though he isn't, how would he look any different? Honestly. And as filmakers, they understand that they are responsible for what they show the audiencem, and that things are interpreted differenty. They realize the topics you listed are an important part of the human psyche. Do you think that these film makers, just didn't see it at all? Someone had to see it. Then all they would have had to do was sya hey, put his hands on the outside of the sheets!!!!
  13. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The Padme falling down scene was funny due to the polite Stormtrooper (Oooo, Ani got competition :p) and the super healing powers of Padme. At least, that's what some people tell me. Personally, I don't mind it that much.

The mightmare scene is OK. My sis liked it ;)
  14. DarthGunray Jedi Master

star 3
    The Padmé Falls scene was fine in my book.

The Anakin nightmare scene was fine in my book.

Oh and to Lord Gretzky,

Do you recall in ROTJ when Darth Vader and the Emperor were talking about Luke?

VADER: A small Rebel force has penetrated the shield and landed on Endor.

EMP.: Yes I know.

VADER: My son is with them.

EMP.: Are you sure?

VADER: I have felt him, Master.

EMP.: Strange that I have not.

See? That set of lines could be taken in the direction you're taking the nightmare scene. You're forgetting that the largest part of the audience of these films are kids. To them Anakin moaning means he's having a nightmare, not spanking his wookiee. As cratylus has stated earlier, "Your focus determines your reality."
  15. IamZam Jedi Master

star 4
    One can twist almost anything to mean what you want it to if you try hard enough.

I never even thought of the scene "that way" until I came on these boards.

You know as I think it was Freud once said..

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". Not everything has a sinester hidden message, some people just think too much, or they simply have too many issues and project them on to everything they see.

16. tobywan Jedi Padawan

alright, i have to say that the whole nightmare/spanking thing is just stupid. i've seen the movie only 3 times so far, and not once did that cross my mind. what would he do differently if he were? i dunno, maybe there'd be alot more motion down below, unless he can spank it without actually moving his hands up and down. hell, he does have the force though.

as far as the padme falling thing, it did get me too, about how fast she jumped up afterwards. i did find that amusing. and her goofy run afterwards, have any of you who think that looked goofy ever tried to go for a run on a beach? i have. now just imagine that beach sand is more compact and has a bit of moisture from the ocean. dessert sand, not so much. but anyway, back to the acting of her initial getting up, from what i have understood, all these movies were supposed to be a modern equivalent of the old westerns and serials, and big budget movies like ben hur and such. the acting is very stiff and at times akward. look at the way corde and schmi die. now go watch one a them old movies. i don't know all this for a fact. i'm not george lucas. but it is an idea i guess.

buh bye for now
  17. Roger Goldleader Force Ghost

star 3
    Padme's tumble into a sand dune not believable?

Less see....

Luke & Leia falling off fast moving speeder bikes in the Endor forest, no major injuries...

Obi Wan sliding down a wet cable, no rope burns...

Anakin falling an unknown number of stories onto Zam's speeder - no injuries...

Ditto Obi Wan's fall from the assassin droid...

Anakin crashing to the pavement when Zam's speeder crashes, landing on his knee no less, and no broken bones...

Our heros getting crushed in the garbage chute (after falling how far?), then climb out with no injuries (and no STs waiting outside the door for them, even though they must have known where they were)...

And how far did Luke fall (twice!) when he was fighting Vader on Bespin? How come he wasn't knocked unconcious when he hit that long vent?...

How about Luke crashing his snowspeeder on Hoth? Just jumped right out of there and took down that AT-AT...

You know, Sebulba didn't seem the least bit shaken up when his pod crashed. Came to a pretty soft landing for going over 500mph...

I'm sure I could think of others, but let's face it - this is fantasy, not reality. Some people have really lost their sense of fun, wonder, and the ability to simply enjoy a movie intended for enjoyment's sake.

18. EviL_DukKY Jedi Knight

star 3
    Goldleader, very nice.

Maybe the reason none of these were serious injuries was because HEROES SHOULDN'T BE SEVERELY HURT EVERY SCENE IN MOVIES!
  19. Cypher_DS Jedi Padawan

I'm sure this has been said but since I'm not sure where, I'll say it again. The scenes were fine, in and of themselves, but just unnecessary. Either GL has a fondness for doing segue scenes which simply function as linking devices, which isn't unknown, or there is was more that was removed and he using them to cover the omissions.

We know Anakin is having disturbing dreams regarding his mother from his exchange with Obi Wan. We learn from Padme in the 'balcony' scene that she 'heard' him the night before, and his decision to go. What information does the nightmare shot give us? Unless.... I am wondering quite how close Padme had to be to hear him mutter "Mom" and why she feels comfortable hanging out the morning 'after' with him in what is obviously her nightie, and just whose room was she coming from? All subliminal, but there are definite shades of Romeo and his Juliet.

I don't know why we even had to see Padme 'recover' after falling out of the gunship, unless GL thought kids would be worrying about her 'fate' but since Anakin must assume she is seriously hurt, why not let the audience go along with it? It feeds Anakin's rage against Dooku, and when Padme turns up with the 'cavalry' I don't think the audience would be too surprised!

20. EMK Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nightmare Scene: all 4 times i've seen the film, no one laughed. the , "MOM" part PLUS, the fact that its PG Lucas film .. logic dictates= non-sexual.. (but okok.. i have to admit, it was very suggestive, especially since he is very cute [face_love])

Padme falling out of the gunship : She did look a lil' goofy when she ran off the screen, but that was a editing error I think, but for the reality of her getting up so quicky.. that's fine with me, its STAR WARS UNIVERSE,, its not the Real World.. this is why for example there is sound in space in the SW Universe (e.g. the cool sonic charges in AOTC , etc..)
  21. endboss Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The shot of Anakin dreaming shows me what an out-of-touch square Lucas is. He'd have to be to have not seen the need to re-shoot that after watching it in the editing room. Lucas reminds me of a Mr. Rogers-type fella walking around saying "Oh what a beautiful, sunny day, I feel so gay" and then being puzzled after being snickered at by onlookers.
  22. EviL_DukKY Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh god...

The movies would be so friggin boring if the Real World Rules applied...

No sound and no fiery explosions in space = BORING SPACE SCENES.
  23. tomm4004 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Roger Goldleader, you're right on target. I find this thread hilarious. This kind of thing happens in movies all the time. I can't believe people are focusing on this one scene as being any different. And it wasn't right away anyway. It's a while later that they come back to Padme and she is getting up. Haven't you ever watched a football game where a player looks dead and on the next play he's running for a touchdown.

As for Anakin's dream, I never thought it was anything else, but I guess my mind is not in the gutter. :)
  24. Darth Dradus Jedi Master

star 3
    At the end of the scene with Padame she is jogging away and that look really out of place. That part is just oo f'n funny.
  25. Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The gunship hits the sand slope so when Padme falls out she's not going as fast.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.