main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I gotta defend these 2 scenes........

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SW3TheHolidaySpecial, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I think I know why people are obsessing on the "dream Sequence"... It's quite simple, once again AOTC has diverged from the old tried and true SW we all know and love. In the OT, no :eek: B-E-D-S no S-E-X, :eek: maybe a bit of implied tension but no real incling of real sexual activity. (Reminds me of those sit-comes from the 50's-60's... :p you rarely see a couple in the same bed!) We all know that eventually there has to be some "jedi nookie" to bring about our future young heros, just some people can't wait and will see it in everything. Heck, in an early review for AOTC there was a piccy of Ani after he'd just awakened, the caption read "do we see a sparkle of Luke and Leia in those bedroom eyes".... Please... :mad: . I swear, it's
    either that or too many people compare this scene to the opening of "Life as a House" where HC's character sure as heck isn't just "playing around" in the closet....
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    The Anakin dream sequence makes me think nothing more than a dream is going on.People say it should have been left out

Of course it shouldn't have been left out...but Lucas should've directed Hayden a different way...or least tell Hayden to put his arms ABOVE the bed sheet so moviegoers won't get any idea ;)

[A rule of thumb in filming scenes, I heard long ago, was to always (at least in kissing and other types of scenes) to have the actors' hands visible on screen so it won't create an ambiguous impression among the audience]

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Perhaps the "nightmare scene" was a homage to HC in Life As A House. :)

I think the scene if fine. There were many different ways of filming that scene, but who's to say that doing it differently would have been any better.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Only perverts think Anakin is spanking it in his dream. No one laughed during that scene. Anyone with half a brain would be able to tell that he was still having nightmeres about her pain and the sense of danger he's feeling.

And the fall was fine. She was knocked unconscious when she landed. She was moaning as she was comming around. She wasn't writhing in agony and pain, she was waking up from being knocked out. Writhing is what Mark Hamill did after being fried by Sith Lightning. What Natalie Portman did wasn't writhing.

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    The Anakin dream is consistent with Luke's vision of Han and Leia in pain in ESB (no images, just the hero moaning) but obviously it's a lot funnier because Anakin is lying in bed without his clothes on. :)
    However, there is nothing wrong with the Padme scene. She's lying on the sand, dazed, and when the clonetrooper comes over she gets up. What's funny about that? Nothing.

6. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    Neither of these scenes are unintentionally funny, in my opinion. Plus, I've seen AOTC 4 times, and not once has the audience laughed at either of them. So THERE!!! 8-}

7. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    I am not sayin he is literally supposed to be spankin it in the nightmare scene. He isn't. But does anyone see how someone might think he looks and sounds kinda like he is? Maybe some people think that only perverts masturbate...wait. I get it, that's it. You shouldn't be ashamed of masturbating it's quite natural. That's funny. Anyways, I realize it's just star wars, but there are some very powerful and deep themes running through these films. Where I'm coming from is a filmakers stand point, which I happen to be. There is more going on in films then just the literal. There is subtext (in all films, wether intentional or not), which is something underneath the direct actions. It could be as simple as having someone act or do something a certain way just to subconciously (or consciously) affect the viewer. George Lucas knows far more about this then I do. There is no doubt in my mind that he is aware of how Anakin looks. He has to be. Anyone who says that he doesn't resemble someone masterbating, even if just alittle bit, is full of it in my opinion. And isn't *Oedipus* a mytholical archetype? To sum up...Anakin is having a nightmare, but he looks like he could be masturbating, *even though he isn't*. That's just how I see it. And it makes Anakin seem abit more disturbed, which works great to me. Also, masturbating is ok, don't be ashamed. Can someone tell me about *Oedipus*? I don't know much about it but it could apply I think

8. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Isn't Oedipus the story where the son kills his father and marries his mother?

Or the one where he builds a wing of feathers and tries to fly...only to fall to his death after flying too close to the Sun which causes the wax holding the feathers together to melt and making the wing fall apart?

I forgot :)

9. dman

dman Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    LMFAO!!!

This thread is hillarious. Especially, when someone recounted the lines from the OT, where they are talking about "feeling Luke."

Lord-Gretzky, you have to realize most of the people on these boards are teenagers -- or have the maturity of teenagers -- so masturbation is still taboo around that age. You are so right though about the dream scene. My wife and I both cracked up when we saw Anakin moaning and calling out for Mommy.

As for the scene where Padme falls out of the ship I only chuckled during the movie at the irony of the Clone Trooper offering to help Padme up, but looking back on it I have to laugh at how ridiculous it was. I don't care if you land on a bed of feathers you're going to be pretty messed up falling out of a starship. It's even less believable since Padme isn't a Jedi.

As far as why Lucas left these scenes in...that's simple. I think Lucas is just too close to the material to recognize the flaws. It happens to me all the time when I write a story. At first I can recognize the flaws, but over time you learn the story so well that you lose sight of which scenes work, and which don't. With Lucas writing, directing, editing, etc... there is just know way he can recognize the flaws in his story. Especially, since no one around him has the balls to tell him what is wrong with the film.

10. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    Right...the son being in love with his mother story.

11. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I think Lucas is just too close to the material to recognize the flaws. It happens to me all the time when I write a story.

Me too. As a writer, you feel that a particular scene makes sense, but to another reader it doesn't go with the story. Or you accept how that scene is carried out because of the mindset you had during that time

At first I can recognize the flaws, but over time you learn the story so well that you lose sight of which scenes work, and which don't.

Ditto.

With Lucas writing, directing, editing, etc... there is just no way he can recognize the flaws in his story.

Using that new digital camera didn't exactly help either :)

Especially, since no one around him has the balls to tell him what is wrong with the film.

GOOD JOB, McCallum. ;)

On the other hand, for TPM, Spielberg and a couple of friends of Lucas told him to re-edit the final battles in TPM a certain way to make more sense...but Lucas ended up putting it the way we see it now.

It's also a question as to whether McGregor, Portman and the other actors were brave enough to offer some suggestions about re-editing some parts of the TPM and AOTC scripts to Lucas as well

12. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    You're right dman. Some of us aren't teenagers though still, some that would disagree. Which is ok. I just have a problem when people chalk it up as stupid or reading to much into something, as opposed to just not agreeing.

13. Kwai_Gone_Gin

Kwai_Gone_Gin Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2002
    The falling out was fine, it doesn't matter if she was badly injured or didn't suffer a scratch. The problem is that she looks unconscious one second and is merrily running around the next. Besdies that, she magically seems to know that Obi-Wan and Anakin found Dooku in a hangar.

14. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Besdies that, she magically seems to know that Obi-Wan and Anakin found Dooku in a hangar.

The typical fanboy explanation: She obliviously USED THE FORCE ;)

15. Lessa

Lessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    I thought the nightmare scene could definitely be taken the wrong way. Not so sure about the Oedipus thing either--in the original myth he didn't KNOW it was his mother, while in this case he definitely does. Plus, he doesn't start gouging his eyes out afterward, either. :)

On a side note, the whole flying to close to the sun thing was Icharus.

16. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I thought Icharus was the dragon that Gohan hung around with in DragonballZ. Nevermind :) :p

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Dream Sequence was shot that way on purpose. A very respected poster on these forums, AL has spoken to Rick Mcallum about that scene, and he confirmed that it was done on purpose.

For children, it's just a nightmare scene. For adults it's a chance to have a more adult laugh if you want. I thought after all the Childish Jar Jar jokes of Menace you wanted more adult humour?

It's also a good excuse to let girls see a little of Haydens bod........ ;)

As for the Padme falling scene, I have no problem with that. Not a good scene, but certainly not a bad scene. I think people obssess about the negative, too much :)

18. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Freud interpreted Oedipus as repressing the knowledge that he married his mother. If you want to apply Freud to CLONES, the interpretation would be that Padme is the substitute for Shmi in Anakin's eyes. Shmi needed to die so that Padme could replace her in his life.

And if Lucas, McCallum, et al. knew that the nightmare scene would play that way and didn't change it...then I've lost some respect for them. It's obviously not intended to have a sexual subtext (Lucas is the guy who taped Carrie Fisher's breast down because he thought "there's no jiggling in the Empire.") so if it does, then it was a screw up and they neglected to fix it. Why? Ask them.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Thing is when I watch a movie, I don't taking scenes any other way than what's on screen. People over analyze and not just enjoy it. I'm on of the biggest perverts out there and I didn't even see it that way.

Are there people out there that would think that? Sadly yes. Was that the purpose of the scene? Probably not. And if you believe McCallum, then you are sadly mistaken. He's looking at any chance to mock us. Look at the times when he claims something is true and then recants. Hugh Jackman being one of them.

20. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Personally, I thought he was dreaming about Padme till he started to speak. She was with him in the scene before that, dressed in her nightgown. That seemed logical to me, until he called out. The whole scene is very sensual and seems rather out of place in a Star Wars film. I pondered why GL put it in AotC and this all I could surmise:

A few years ago, a guy I knew told me he loved me, something he'd never said to me before then and we'd known each other for some 25 years. I'd known the guy since I was 18 years old and I was in my 30's by then. I was rather surprised. I said, "What do you mean by "love"? My husband loves me, my kids love me, my family and friends love me." And he replied, "Whatever," as if to say he would/could love me were he any of those people. I think this is an important message we need to remember when watching the bedroom scene with Anakin. He loves his mom. He loves Padme. Love is a powerful emotion and it has nothing whatsoever to do with sex, but it can stir strong reactions in the subconscious, such as those we see in Anakin's dream. Love is universal, crossing familial lines, friendship lines, marital lines. But it is not SEX. Love doesn't have boundaries. Only people do. Let's not get so hung up on it that we can't see the forest for the trees.

21. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Just to let you guys knows, besides utters the word "mom!" in his sleep during this scene, you can also hear him uttering the words , "no! no!" even before he says "mom!"

So, even from the very first second that this scene in on screen it is verbally obvious that it is a bad dream or a nightmare.

If it was a wetdream or he was doing something underneath the covers he be enjoying this and NOT saysing "no!no! mom!"

22. Lessa

Mar 19, 2002
    I don't know...he could have been thinking, "No! No! Don't stop! Nooooooooooo!" :D

23. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Leesa,

Cute. How old are ya, hun?

24. Lessa

Mar 19, 2002
    *Sigh* It was a joke, dear.

And why does everyone insist on spelling my name "Leesa"?

25. Darth-Solo

Darth-Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I got your joke Lessa. It was funny. Next time I see AOTC,that might be a fun way to watch the scene...lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.