main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, it has the potential to be counterproductive in that rumors of messy production tend to prime critics and the internet commentariat to declare it a disaster as soon as it's released. But they may feel the Star Ware brand is immune to that kind of bad hype.

But it's notable that the stuff about Ehrenreich getting an acting coach has leaked. It's not a good look for the movie to say the star's performance was so bad that they needed to bring in an acting coach . . . yet where are the LFL denials or minimizations? Where's Kennedy saying, "Oh, we just brought someone in to tinker with his delivery to sound more like Harrison," or whatever? Where's somebody going, "This was totally a small routine thing, nothing to worry about"? The only explanation I can think of is because the people who are supposed to be doing that are the ones leaking the information to the trade publications that they're suplosed to be refuting.

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe Ehrenreich has been leaking about L&M and the producers leaked that stuff about the acting coach to shut him up.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

MartyAvidianus likes this.
  3. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm mentally preparing for the Han Solo movie to be the most criticized Star Wars movie of all time, and that includes Episode I.

It is a MASSIVE risk to not only re-cast Han Solo, but also build an entire movie around him. Solo was an ancillary character in the original trilogy. The larger story was never really about Solo, he just supported it. Now, LFL is hoping to take a character, while technically a "main" character but not in the true sense, to carry an entire two hours. I do not believe Solo is at his best when he is the forefront of the story. He plays so well off OTHER main characters IMO, not being THE guy himself.

This is in addition to the fact that LFL believes people will be receptive to Han Solo being played by someone else. Even if the movie is sensational, I do not know if the majority of folks are going to be fans purely because..."that's not Harrison Ford".

To be honest, I could see this movie being a flop. Not a flop in the true sense of the word, but maybe make "only" $300-$400 million and be absolutely lambasted by critics, Star Wars purists and casual fans alike.

I envision a complete refocus of the anthology films after this, setting sights on "safer" flicks in the vein of Rogue One.

AusStig likes this.
  4. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    what if it ends up titled STAR WARS: Bria Tharen: Rebel Dawn?

AusStig likes this.
  5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Then I will seriously doubt everything Lucasfilm is doing.

As opposed to my current optimistic skepticism.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think Star Wars as much as Disney is immune to serious criticism. Anything they put out is going to get lavish praise. Even if the movie is a mess, it will still get the nostalgia/"turn off your brain and enjoy it!" pass that every Marvel movie gets.

fett 4 likes this.
  7. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    they did cast the Khaleesi

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not convinced. The specter of the prequels has never really gone away as far as the groupthink consensus goes, and just my sort of general impression has been that Han Solo not played by Harrison Ford remains controversial. Still hoping for the best, but I think it's entirely possible the movie will get blasted.

9. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    LFL Press Release
    After going over the existing footage, we've determined the acting bad through out. Unfortunately, we have already put too much money and time into this, so we are relabeling this Chewbacca: A Star Wars Story. 2 hours of the star delivering dialogue nobody can understand simply because it was the only good performance.

Disney Star Wars fanboys: What a risk they've taken. So avant-garde. This is why I love Star Wars.

Here's some leaked footage of Solo and Chewie.

They weren't kidding about the Ace Ventura performance. As usual, Chewie is BRILLIANT !!!! So daring. However, I feel like Ron Howard is repeating himself.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, even if it ends up being a really good movie, just having someone else play Han Solo is going to get this movie a lot of criticism. It's got a lot more hoops to jump through for success than R1 ever did.

Daneira likes this.
  11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Such a strange risk to take when nobody was even clamoring for a Han Solo movie (except Kasdan). This dust up is probably the first time most people have even paid attention to it with any detail.

12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    To be honest, I don't quite understand Kasdan's fixation with Han Solo either (that he pushed to write it, etc). A lot of people keep saying Kasdan is the best with Han's dialogue, etc forgetting that Han was established in ANH well before Kasdan joined Star Wars.

There were probably more people pushing for an 'Old Republic' movie featuring Revan than there were pushing for a 'Han Solo' movie, despite what Pablo Hidalgo would say on Twitter.

Judging by the EU, I feel that the Thrawn Trilogy or even the X-Wing books get way more fan attention than Han Solo's two book trilogies did (not knocking Crispin or Daley, they wrote excellent books).

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Having just seen Baby Driver, I realized two things.

One, it pretty much is a young Han Solo movie set on Earth:

• He's an orphan
    • He wears a white shirt and black vest
    • He's a famously fast and reckless criminal vehicle driver with records known across the underworld
    • He's in debt to a crime lord who acts like a charming uncle but is completely savage
    • His only friend is a black guy (and it's set in Atlanta, aka the city of actual Young Lando)
    • He looks a lot like what a teen Han would look like, IMO

Two, if this is the movie that Edgar Wright made after he got fired from his Disney movie, I can't wait to see what Lord & Miller make as their next movie after getting fired from their Disney movie.

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Was anybody screaming for a Han movie? No, not with Harrison Ford not being able to do it. But I don't know that that translates into no interest. Han's a massively popular, fun character, arguably the most popular character of the OT (who isn't Darth Vader), who lends himself to fun one-off adventures and even an origin story. It was always a natural way to go if they weren't going to hold themselves to the limitation of never, ever recasting (and thus never being able to use again) their central characters. The public loves Han. I don't think it's a hard sell. Put out a good trailer and everybody will lose their **** waiting for it. I don't see many possibilities that would reasonably be more popular, sight unseen, with the general population.

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    speaking for myself, I feel prequels don't have the same appeal as sequels. We already knows what will happen.

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    A between-trilogies Kenobi movie would be an easy sell. People have been used to McGregor as Kenobi since 1999, and unlike Han, he has a lightsaber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think a Han movie is a tough sell, exactly, but I think it's certainly more vulnerable than usual to pre-release bad press.

18. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    What is really strange is my first thoughts way back on the "Star Wars Story" line was that they were going to be something completely different. They were going to try and expand the Star Wars galaxy (and history) almost like test movies. In other words:

- Put out a Thrawn movie: Profitable, but not enough response to warrant a new saga centered on that subject. Let's try again.
    - Put out an Old Republic movie: Amazing response. A whole new batch of Star Wars fans that feel like "this is their own" while maintaining the existing base. Let's finish this off as its own trilogy. Maybe even a trio of trilogies. Completely new life brought to Star Wars (on a movie level).

Even when they announced Rogue One, my initial thoughts were I really didn't care about the details of the stolen Death Star plans. But perhaps they could set up an entirely new cast of characters that have their own story to tell. If successful, that could turn into a sort of "parallel action" trilogy. But they killed off all the characters. Not that this wasn't good for the movie, but it went against what I thought the initial purpose of these movies were about. And with Han Solo, the idea of a trilogy based on that seems unimaginable. How well did the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles fare? From what I recall, not well. Similar concept.

Now this is where I hold out hope for the movie. Loved the Crispin trilogy. One of my favorite SW EU novel(s). Don't see how it can translate to film, but hopefully Kasdan read them and found a couple ideas from it. Oddly enough, I also put off reading those novels because I didn't expect much from them.

If they did use those novels for inspiration, it sounds like the movie most closely resembles the last novel, Rebel Dawn. Falcon won. Chewie married, Kessel Run, Jabba debt established and Bria Tharen could be rewritten to become Jyn Erso. That could actually be interesting (removing the love interest angle). Jyn perhaps first running into Han while in Saw's gang as they clean him out to finance their Rebel Terrorist group. Then hearing about her death while stealing the plans toward the end of the movie as digital OB1 approaches him in a Cantina (roll credits).

19. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Ironically, one of the reasons that I'd GREATLY prefer that this just be an 'adventure' as opposed to "Han Solo: Origins" is that I like the Daley trilogy much better than the Crispin one. And I still think that would offer plenty of room for expansion - for instance, if people respond very favorably to Glover's Lando he gets his own movie, no larger continuity ramifications needed.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  20. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I like the Crispin books, but I'd prefer a Daleyesque Han movie - a no frills fun standalone adventure.

21. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Never read the Daley Solo trilogy. It looks like they came out pre-TESB. Did they meet Anakin Skywalker? :cool: Was Jabba the Hutt just a fat looking dude in his fur trappers outfit? :p

Well, Glover was probably the first news I heard from the Han Solo movie that got me interested. Still only mildly, but always loved Glover. But is he Colt 45 smooth?
    [​IMG]

Unlike the new Han Solo, I think the new Lando is gonna rock. Although my sources tell me that he is the one that betrayed Lord and Miller. But their firing was never part of the bargain.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    As far as I remember, Daley's trilogy has no conflicts with wider EU or even Disney canon so far (the Han Solo movie might change this). The Crispin Trilogy definitely cannot work in Disney canon, especially due to Rogue One.

One of the Daley trilogy books, Han Solo at Stars' End, was given a comic book adaptation that you can read on any digital store like comixology, or Marvel comic's digital store.

23. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    the Daley books not only remained completely in continuity, but later writers incorporated a lot of their elements. The Corporate Sector and Victory-class Star Destroyers originated in the Daley books. Crispin's book Rebel Dawn is actually written around the Daley books, and Luceno's Agents of Chaos duology heavily references them.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would watch the hell out of a movie with nothing but Han Solo flying the Falcon and snarking at people. Not sure if that's we'll get though.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dang McGregor is actually the right age now to play exile Ben Kenobi.

How did we all get so old so fast?