main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Darth's appearance in the Han Solo trilogy was handled rather carefully - nobody actually saw him - Han only heard him (Han was hiding in a cupboard when Darth choked Admiral Greelanx)

I doubt they'd only use Vader's voice for a movie though - but that general idea, of Han not meeting Vader face to face, could work.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It's panic move. They are terrified the movie will bomb due to the bad press and lack of interest, so they're throwing Vader on screen - complete with full on markerting, even if it's a 1 second cameo - in order to save it

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We haven't even gotten any footage, have we?

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You don't need to be a weatherman to know you get wet in the rain

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Man, this is starting to approach Fant4stic levels here.

SilentGuy66 and fett 4 like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    James Earl Jones is 86 years old. I'm totally okay with Vader being shoved into every movie possible before JEJ's inevitable passing.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought his performance in RO was poor, and basically unrecognizable.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, I thought it was incredible. I love how he says "Di-rector Krennic" and "An Imperial facility openly attacked?!" Jonathan Davis's reading of those lines in the audiobook, while decent, sounded like a guy doing a Vader impression. Whereas JEJ is Vader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It's not a confirmed rumor. That site it's not exactly known for having good sources, or any sources at all for that matter.

....But I definitely wouldn't mind if Vader had a cameo. :p
    As long as Han doesn't see him doing anything crazy with the Force.

Daneira likes this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The potential issue with Vader being in this film is simple, it could easily feel like pure fanservice, distracting fanservice. Like even Vader being in RO made sense since he was involved with the Death Star stuff in ANH to (and they used him sparingly in RO).

Pre-ANH Han was a small-time smuggler, there's no evidence that Vader even knew who he was let alone that they'd actually crossed paths, and Han was a tiny blip in the Empire's radar, at best. So Vader's inclusion isn't immediately as obvious here.

Now how it could maybe work imo, is if they do an ESB-type of scene. Like the main villain/antagonist, whomever it ends up being, talks with a hologram Vader (like Vader does with Sheev in ESB), or perhaps meets with Vader in-person, and then the latter explains the situation and gives said main villain their marching orders. That could maybe work.

Dannik Jerriko and Daneira like this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or, Vader could appear early - Han is at the Imperial Academy - he's graduating - Vader is one of the figures present for the ceremony.

I remember in a Legends comic (Biggs Darklighter series I think - Tarkin gave a big speech at the ceremony - with allusions to the Death Star. Something a little like that, but with Vader present?

12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Opening scene: Imperial ensign Han frees Chewie from a slave pen, and Vader sees it. Vader chokes Han to death knowing cowardly Chewie will run to save himself (Vader wants this to be the last thing Han sees before he dies). Except Chewie doesn't run, Chewie charges Vader head on and smashes into him, breaking Vader's concentration and saving Han. Han and Chewie flee for their lives before Vader recovers.

Vader announces on the holonet the 2,000,000,000 credit reward for turning Han and Chewie back over to the Empire. Furthermore, he broadcasts video of himself personally killing Wookiee kids and civilians, and Vader announces that for every month Han and Chewie are free, another 200 wookiees will be tortured to death.

Desperate, Han and Chewie turn to a gangster who promises to fix the situation--Jabba the Hutt...

Sounds like a good opening for the story to get Vader in?

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Not really. If Vader wants someone dead, he makes sure they're dead. He doesn't broadcast it. He doesn't need hostages. And I highly doubt Chewie could get a lick in on Vader. I'm also sure Vader knows that Chewie won't run, I mean he fought with Wookies during the Clone Wars. And it's just a bad opening, as it doesn't introduce the characters at all before throwing them into peril.

Daneira likes this.
  14. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Yeah, you're probably right. :p I disagree about the hostages though, he used hostages in ESB to lure in Luke.

Also, Sith Lords can be distracted as the Emperor in ROTJ can tell you before he died.

And if Vader wants someone dead, he makes sure they're dead... Unless they are Kanan and Ezra (maybe even Ahsoka?)

As for Vader thinking a Wookiee can become a coward, I'm sure the Empire has ways of "breaking" Wookiees and Vader might have overconfidence in those ways. We see broken Wookiee slaves in Star Wars Rebels.

15. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    When I first heard the rumour that Vader would make an appearance in this movie, I felt decidedly underwhelmed. What's the purpose of including Vader in this story? Is it a ham-fisted attempt at fan service? Is it a way of assuring the audience that they are watching a valid Star Wars movie?

If this movie is the story of a disillusioned Imperial officer cadet turned smuggler, then why would Darth Vader be involved? Solo and company would be a problem below Vader's pay grade. One possible explanation would be Solo's motley crew smuggling/stealing something of particular value to the Empire. This would be a rather uninspiring plot, treading over old ground.

I don't like being negative about Star Wars, but I am worried about this movie. A Han Solo standalone wouldn't have been my choice of premise and there have obviously been big problems with the production. I hope that Mr Howard can right the ship. Otherwise, we may be looking at a truly bad Star Wars movie.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's more like a HAN-fiest attempt.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    It's more like a HAN-fisted attempt, amirite?

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Seconded. I straight up loved hearing Jones as Vader again. The "openly attacked?" line is awesome.

I say they write a Vader movie script and first thing they do is get Jones to record it. THEN make the movie.

SilentGuy66, AusStig and Daneira like this.
  19. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Why don't we have a Vader movie in the works? Just ripe off Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader and it will be fine

20. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I'm putting my chips on the following scenario.
    Vader in his Star Destroyer after having just finished some *serious* mission (rebellion related perhaps) when a command officer informs him they've picked up the signature of known smuggler ship and they are calling in the nearest Imperial team to board. Vader realizes they are the closest and decides they will handle it personally.

star wipe to Han Solo and Chewie. Chewie tells him of the nearby Imperial presence and asks if they should dump Jabba's cargo. Han scoffs knowing what that would mean. He says "we've been through this many times before. I know the Imperials. They aren't smart enough to figure out our tricks. I always talk my way out of it." Then the SD is ID'd as Vader's. Han turns pale over the only Imperial he truly fears "Dump it. Chewie!!! Dump it !!!"

Imperials board, but not Vader himself. It's tense but the evidence is gone. They leave with a "Watch it, smuggler scum."

The ship has been compromised. Time to swap it out for one he's had his eye on. Chewie suggests naming it the Millennium Wookie.

AusStig likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I haven't been keeping up with the rumors for this, but I saw a few people talking about this on another site, so I figured I'd ask here if these are actual rumors circulating:

Is it 'true' (at least by rumor standards) that Paul Bettany is replacing Michael K. Williams, with the character now going to be a human whereas it was going to be an alien when played by Williams?

22. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017

The first part is true -
    Bettany has replaced Williams because Williams was unavailable for reshoots. Williams confirmed this. Ron Howard posted pics of Bettany in costume.

I'm not sure about the second part,
    but Bettany had no CGI-related gear on him in Howard's pics.

Hope this helps.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yikes. That's pretty messed up.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I've been thinking -- this is the last chance we can see Harrison Ford* and Bill Dee Williams on set together. I can't remember if flashbacks have been ruled out in this film yet, but it would be cool if old Han and Lando were telling this story together.

*That is, unless we get zombie/ghost Han or Haan in TLJ.

25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    While I'm looking forward to Glover's portrayal of Lando, I maintain the opinion that Billy Dee more than deserves to be Lando at least one more time in any of the upcoming movies.