main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    CooperTFN mentioned the other day that LFL didn't let authors cover it. It's strange but I have the strongest memory of reading that scene somewhere, but I checked and every possible source -- even WEG -- only alludes to Han freeing Chewie and we never saw it.

Guess it's one of those moments that's so important the mind imagines it even if it never happened on a book, and it feels real anyway.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and Abadacus like this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I read that too and I didn't understand why LFL wouldn't allow it.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Chewbacca 2.
    [​IMG]

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So, that's doubly funny.

I. I've never read Chewbacca. I didn't read comics back then and didn't feel a compelling need to read it after I did.

II. It took them all the way to the NJO to do it.

But huh, so it did finally happen! Odd that I couldn't find it when I looked, but I guess I didn't look too hard.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Aaron Paul aka Jessie Pinkman as Han Solo rumour mongering:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72265

Actually has been heard before. However, one interesting tidbit:

The Radio Times sees a clue in the fact that Paul’s Twitter account is one of 365 or so followed by Lucasfilm’s Star Wars Twitter account.
    RT points out that “almost all” of those 365 have “actually appeared in or voiced characters in Star Wars productions. It basically only follows people who are directly involved with the franchise.”
    Suspicious!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

none of the Han Solo adventures had that in it? I also feel that i read it somewhere

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll let you know once I read the HSA. :)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I re-read them earlier this year, Han and Chewie are already well-established partners by that point.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Monster.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, aside from being awesome and original and hugely inventive, HSA doesn't really contribute anything to the Han mythos--it's just some stuff that happens.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    The Han Solo Adventures (the first book in them, pretty early on in the story too) has Han recounting a fairly vague story about "some guy who thought he was doing the right thing" but ended up getting kicked out of the military in disgrace. The mention of Chewie comes in at the end, when Jessa asks Han if there wasn't anyone left to testify on his side, and Han says "sure, but who's gonna believe a Wookiee?"

The second Han Solo Trilogy book has a little more detail, Han remembers an Imperial officer using a force whip.

JediMatteus likes this.
  12. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I read the Crispin novels, as least 3 of them. Is Han and Chewie in the Lando novels? never read them.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Nope--maaayybe there's a mention of him somewhere but I don't think so.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013
    Nope. Not that I recall. The Lando trilogy happens while Lando is still captain of the Falcon. When originally written, it was probably meant to be "before he met Han" - as I recall from Crispin's arc welding, it was sometime during the second book when he flew off of Nar Shaadaa.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    co-director Christopher Miller at comic con during the panel for Last Man on Earth took some Han Solo casting suggestions:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...utlandish-young-han-solo-casting-suggestions/

When Miller was asked if a clean-shaven Will Forte might have a shot at fronting the “Star Wars” prequel, the “Last Man On Earth”s star gamely began miming lassoing, fist-fighting, and other ambigious “action” moves, before belting out a Chewbacca call. Miller responded with a grin, and joked, “Young Han Solo? For sure. He’s already got it down, clearly, the lassoing action. But it feels like he’s auditioning for Chewbacca to me.”
    Forte’s co-star Kristen Schaal interjected to ask if it’s true that Miller was considering casting one of the heartthrobs from the boy band One Direction.”All those rumors are supertrue,” Miller kidded, earning warm laughs from the crowd.

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Oh god, it's like N'Sync in AOTC all over again.

spicer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    As well it should be.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If it is a Bollywood musical I am all in.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Only if sung in Huttese

BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  20. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    i would be so here for harry styles as han solo. but only if they cast him opposite taylor swift.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Harry Styles is seriously freaking me out atm, tbh, so I would not be down with that.

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Chewbacca (the comic) has the depiction of Han refusing to kill Chewie after disabling his ship full of escaping slaves. The Hutt Gambit then has a description of Han saving Chewie from a slavemaster and freeing him, but just as an explanation of what happened, not a narrative scene. So the actual moment of Han's saving him has never been depicted, just outlined.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If the EU tapdanced around it for, well, decades, it seems like an LFL dictate that you don't show Han saving Chewie from slavery, just talk about it. Seems like one of those long in the running vaguely defined "rules" (no killing off Big Three in post ROTJ! No Clone Wars / Anakin Skywalker & Young Obi-Wan stuff until the prequels come out) that implies they sorta intended to make a movie about it. So I think the narrative point that Han was an Imp cadet who saved Chewie is practically a given in this flick.

Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah but in retrospect it was silly because they reboot everything anyway

I suspect if anything it was because of Han potentially being in Revenge of the Sith with the wookiees

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah but it was even before that, like in the Brian Daley / AC Crispin days (they fact they didn't actually have it happen in Han Solo's origin novels in the 90s is pretty big red flag). I'm guessing Lucas had a vague "Han Solo Saving Chewie Story" origin sort of wrapped up in his whole nebulous prequel era idea so it basically been Hands off Han & Chewie's first meeting for, like, ever.