main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo I had an idea

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Dantana Skywalker, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Is anyone here interested in starting/joining a writing and reading group? I was thinking we could meet every once in a while (once a week, once a month, something) and discuss writing stuff. MiaTieska and I have a mailing list group, the Utah Valley SciFi & Fantasy Fan Network, which is open to pretty much all sci-fi/fantasy fans in the area (LOTR, ST, SW, etc.).

Anyway, what I was thinking is that we could meet in person every once in a while and discuss fanfiction or, well, just about anything. There's a place on University Ave, across the street from Dragon's Keep, called Vermillion Skies Café, which I found out about a little over a week ago, and I think it might be fun to meet there.

Lemme know what you guys think.

EDIT: I have a car, if anyone wants to do this but doesn't have a ride. :)

Dana

2. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Sounds like fun to me, although I work all day so I can only do evenings and weekends.
    Let me know when and where and I'll try and be there.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    That would be so wicked fun. I want more sessions of listening to Dantana's fic. She read me some out loud today and I couldn't stop laughing.

4. Katrael_ni_Skyewali

Katrael_ni_Skyewali Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2004
    (Dana's sock, 'cause I'm "on vacation")

Well, Vermillion Skies is open 24 hours, so if we wanted to do a late-night thing, we could. :)

I'm working 5:30 to 9:30 PM this week and next, starting on the 30th. Saturday's General Conference, but if we wanted to meet up after, around, say, 7:30, 8? That would be April 2.

PM me on my regular account if you're interested and need a ride or something. :)

Dana

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Since that didn't quite work, I'd love to try it again when I'm back in provo.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah. Trying again would be good.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Libraries have a summer reading program, we should have a summer fanfic reading program...

8. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Hmm. What about a more structured writing group? Focus could be on fanfic but could be original writing, too. Like maybe there's an assigned thing to write/work on during the week/month/bi-week whatever, and then we all write it and then bring our pieces to the next meeting and read them aloud/pass them around to read if they're long, and discuss.

We could bring other pieces we've been working on too, that we're having problems with and have a few minutes for kind of a free-for-all "hey, I want to do this but I'm not sure how..." or "this isn't coming out quite the way I wanted it to."

We could also do exercises in writing in different pov's, different tenses, branching out a little from our usual niches as writers. Ooh. Yes this sounds really cool.... I would love to set up something, if everyone's ok with that?

-Mia

9. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    That's actually exactly what I've had in mind. If you'd like to take a stab at it, feel free. :)

Dana

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    We could always have a genre or theme challenge.

11. Daughterofflame

Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    *sigh* I wish I lived near you guys. :p

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Where do you live?

13. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    That's a really cool idea. If I wrote fan fic...and if I was in Utah for the summer...I'd totally participate! As it is, I'll just have to imagine how cool the stuff you come up with is!

14. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Hehe. Didn't know that's EXACTLY what you had in mind. Oops. (Gee, we must've had the same creative writing teacher in high school!)

Was thinking I could come up with the outline for at least a couple sessions, take ideas from those participating, etc. We just need someone to spearhead it (that's what I'm volunteering for) or else it could get too chaotic. Cause fans have the worst ADD-ness. ;)

-Mia

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Mia, sounds good. Whole purpose of the group is that it's a group, 'cause I don't wanna lead this time around. ;)

Austyn, that would be so cool if you did!

Ish, she lives east of here. By several hundred miles.

Dana

16. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Sweet. I will do so...very soon. *adds it to list of things to do*

If anyone has any ideas...just PM them to me for things you'd like to see/have/do in the writing group, exercises you'd like to do, maybe 'steal' some ideas from the Resource board here, etc.

-Mia

17. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    It would be. But alas, I do live far, far away. With a fanforce that does NOTHING (or at least nothing fanfic oriented. :p

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You're so cute DOF. We should take up a collection and get her a Greyhound out here or something.

19. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    LOL. How about a collection for me to pay off my bills? ;)

-Mia

20. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    No need for a collection! *grins* My family lives in Cortez, CO, so someday when I'm up there visiting, I'll take a day and come by and see you guys. :) And Mia, I hear ya. If I had money to spend, I'd send it to ya. :p

~*~Austyn

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    How about a collection to buy me a portable dvd player? It's a worthy cause.

22. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Ooh you're in CO?? Sweet! ...Okay wait a sec. I'm trying to remember... how close is Cortez to 4 Corners? And you should definitely come see us if you can!

And yay for money! ;)

-Mia

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That would be cool!

24. Daughterofflame

Sep 11, 2003
    I don't know EXACTLY how far it is, but it's close enough that my grandfather took a wrong turn on the way to the grocery store and ended up in UT. :p

Ok, ok, so I failed to mention my grandfather is really absentminded and has no sense of time. He could've driven for 3 hours and thought it was 10 minutes like always. 8-} Still... It's not too far, I don't think... :)

~*~Austyn

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL. That happened to two friends of mine when I was a missionary. We're not allowed to leave the boundaries of the San Fernando Mission and one day they got lost coming to work in our city and they called from a place that was 2 hours past the boundary of the Mission to find out how to get back to Sylmar.