Provo I had an idea

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Dantana Skywalker, Feb 23, 2005.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie
  1. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Is anyone here interested in starting/joining a writing and reading group? I was thinking we could meet every once in a while (once a week, once a month, something) and discuss writing stuff. MiaTieska and I have a mailing list group, the [link=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uv_sffans/]Utah Valley SciFi & Fantasy Fan Network[/link], which is open to pretty much all sci-fi/fantasy fans in the area (LOTR, ST, SW, etc.).

Anyway, what I was thinking is that we could meet in person every once in a while and discuss fanfiction or, well, just about anything. There's a place on University Ave, across the street from Dragon's Keep, called Vermillion Skies Café, which I found out about a little over a week ago, and I think it might be fun to meet there.

Lemme know what you guys think.

EDIT: I have a car, if anyone wants to do this but doesn't have a ride. :)

Dana
  2. kateydidnt Jedi Master

star 4
    Sounds like fun to me, although I work all day so I can only do evenings and weekends.
    Let me know when and where and I'll try and be there.
  3. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    That would be so wicked fun. I want more sessions of listening to Dantana's fic. She read me some out loud today and I couldn't stop laughing.
  4. Katrael_ni_Skyewali Jedi Youngling

(Dana's sock, 'cause I'm "on vacation")

Well, Vermillion Skies is open 24 hours, so if we wanted to do a late-night thing, we could. :)

I'm working 5:30 to 9:30 PM this week and next, starting on the 30th. Saturday's General Conference, but if we wanted to meet up after, around, say, 7:30, 8? That would be April 2.

PM me on my regular account if you're interested and need a ride or something. :)

Dana
  5. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Since that didn't quite work, I'd love to try it again when I'm back in provo.
  6. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yeah. Trying again would be good.
  7. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Libraries have a summer reading program, we should have a summer fanfic reading program...
  8. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm. What about a more structured writing group? Focus could be on fanfic but could be original writing, too. Like maybe there's an assigned thing to write/work on during the week/month/bi-week whatever, and then we all write it and then bring our pieces to the next meeting and read them aloud/pass them around to read if they're long, and discuss.

We could bring other pieces we've been working on too, that we're having problems with and have a few minutes for kind of a free-for-all "hey, I want to do this but I'm not sure how..." or "this isn't coming out quite the way I wanted it to."

We could also do exercises in writing in different pov's, different tenses, branching out a little from our usual niches as writers. Ooh. Yes this sounds really cool.... I would love to set up something, if everyone's ok with that?

-Mia
  9. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's actually exactly what I've had in mind. If you'd like to take a stab at it, feel free. :)

Dana
  10. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    We could always have a genre or theme challenge.
  11. Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan

star 4
    *sigh* I wish I lived near you guys. :p
  12. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  13. Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan

star 4
    That's a really cool idea. If I wrote fan fic...and if I was in Utah for the summer...I'd totally participate! As it is, I'll just have to imagine how cool the stuff you come up with is!
  14. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Hehe. Didn't know that's EXACTLY what you had in mind. Oops. (Gee, we must've had the same creative writing teacher in high school!)

Was thinking I could come up with the outline for at least a couple sessions, take ideas from those participating, etc. We just need someone to spearhead it (that's what I'm volunteering for) or else it could get too chaotic. Cause fans have the worst ADD-ness. ;)

-Mia
  15. Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Mia, sounds good. Whole purpose of the group is that it's a group, 'cause I don't wanna lead this time around. ;)

Austyn, that would be so cool if you did!

Ish, she lives east of here. By several hundred miles.

Dana
  16. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Sweet. I will do so...very soon. *adds it to list of things to do*

If anyone has any ideas...just PM them to me for things you'd like to see/have/do in the writing group, exercises you'd like to do, maybe 'steal' some ideas from the Resource board here, etc.

-Mia
  17. Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It would be. But alas, I do live far, far away. With a fanforce that does NOTHING (or at least nothing fanfic oriented. :p
  18. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    You're so cute DOF. We should take up a collection and get her a Greyhound out here or something.
  19. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL. How about a collection for me to pay off my bills? ;)

-Mia
  20. Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No need for a collection! *grins* My family lives in Cortez, CO, so someday when I'm up there visiting, I'll take a day and come by and see you guys. :) And Mia, I hear ya. If I had money to spend, I'd send it to ya. :p

~*~Austyn
  21. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    How about a collection to buy me a portable dvd player? It's a worthy cause.
  22. MiaTieska Jedi Master

star 4
    Ooh you're in CO?? Sweet! ...Okay wait a sec. I'm trying to remember... how close is Cortez to 4 Corners? And you should definitely come see us if you can!

And yay for money! ;)

-Mia
  23. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  24. Daughterofflame Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I don't know EXACTLY how far it is, but it's close enough that my grandfather took a wrong turn on the way to the grocery store and ended up in UT. :p

Ok, ok, so I failed to mention my grandfather is really absentminded and has no sense of time. He could've driven for 3 hours and thought it was 10 minutes like always. 8-} Still... It's not too far, I don't think... :)

~*~Austyn
  25. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    LOL. That happened to two friends of mine when I was a missionary. We're not allowed to leave the boundaries of the San Fernando Mission and one day they got lost coming to work in our city and they called from a place that was 2 hours past the boundary of the Mission to find out how to get back to Sylmar.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie