1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Sydney (16th-18th June), Perth (23rd-25th June)

Oz Comic Con: Melbourne (1st-2nd July), Brisbane (23rd-24th September)

FF:NSW I hate ATOC already!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Cockatiel, May 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cockatiel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ~~ Warning, Danger Web Reader! Danger! ~~

Yes, this is the time that the beloved cute Cockatiel snorts and huffs and gets angry.

I HATE AOTC.

I also love it.

You may say ... wha? But let me explain.

With all the anticipation and competitions, and jumping through hoops over every snipet to come out about it, I honestly feel like kicking back and waiting til a bootleg comes along, so I can watch it at home in peace.

I mean anticipation can be a good thing, and I honestly believe ATOC will be the best SW film created (Yes better than Empire!), but sometimes this whole SW thing drains you ... at least it does me.

Had to share, anyone else feel the same way?
  2. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
    i think Hate is a bit strong...but i guess i see what u mean. Its just a MOVIE and its been turned into an EVENT
  3. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I suppose I'm one of the people who are enjoying al the hype.

Since I did the (recent) spoiler free thing, its been getting more exciting.

So I don't know...I guess I'm saying I'm loving it so far. ;)
  4. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, I think that my experiment has failed, in a way.

So in that respect, I'm no longer quite so eager to see it.

Of course, I also want to see it more than ever, since now I know the spoiler that I'd been avoiding I want to get it over and done with so I can talk about it and buy figurines and look at pretty pictures, etc...
  5. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

syrix, i feel your pain.

you can't be super-spoiler free and still regularly visit a star wars board. for that matter, you can't be super-spoiler free and still hang out with lots of star wars fans. someone always slips up :(
  6. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah, I think that for Ep3 I will not only keep away from the boards for the last 6 months, but I might also avoid meets. It's much easier than making sure no-one's talking about the upcoming movie, or having to move when they want to (no offense anyone).

Besides, it's only 6 months...
  7. TheOzhaggis Jedi Master

star 5

Oh, come on people!

The hype for e2 is NOTHING compared to the hype for e1.

Where are the five storey banners hanging in the CBD? (Yes, I know there is one at Fox, but what else do you expect? It's their cashcow)

Where are the Angela Bishop docos?

A few trailers in the news, a few ads on tv, a few articles in magazines. What else is new? What megamovie doesn't have that much hype these days?

You say too much hype.

I say - what hype??

8. wedge3210 Jedi Master

star 5
    I don't get this whole thread.

You'd rather wait for a bootleg than go and see it in the theatre? You'd not want to go out with all the other fans? All because there's a bit of hype around it?
  9. Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    No, I agree with Coka-T.L.

I am purposfully (sp?) not seeing it with FanForce because I want to enjoy it as a movie and not an event.

I wish that there was some way that I could watch it as a movie and then go back in time and watch it for the first time with FFNSW. Now wouldn't that be great? Huh?
  10. Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master

star 6
    I love the opening night as an event! It's gonna be sooo great. 400 Star Wars fans sitting in the one room about to wet themselves cos they're just about to see for the first time the second last Star Wars film to be made. :D

And of course there's not the same hype as there was for Ep1. TPM was a moment in popculture history. A new SW film after 16 years of constant OT touch-ups. So that's been done.

I feel the hype every now-and-then, it's not as constant as it was for TPM. But when I spoke to nano a few days ago (a guy who's very spoiler-free and stays away from just about any SW site) he was extremely hyped. It's funny seeing a 6'4" guy get off his motorcycle, take off his helmet and start jabbering on about SW like a school kid.

For some, the Force is DEFINATELY back! :D
  11. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

the only problem i have with hype is that it makes it easier to get dissapointed. i think that's what happened with TPM for a lot of people.
  12. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
    Keith: For me thats the fun of it! Seeing it with Fanforce.

Look, I've said before the reason i love it here is becuase these guys are all my friends! Fanforce are the people I hang out with more than just about anyone else these days! Anf Fanforce was FORMED to have a group together For episode 2!

400 screaming Star Wars fans? Bah! i could care less!

40 of my mates sitting around me all having a blast at a new Star Wars film?

HELL YES!

As for Spoiler Free vs Spoiler; Matt, Im impressed with how u have managed to avoid EVERYTHING to do with AOTC for all this time. But if u want to avoid your friends simply because of a MOVIE, thats just crazy! U start avoiding your mates so u dont find out what clothes Anakin is wearing in the next film, and Ill come over personally and run around after you telling u what happens from start to finish!

Guys, Cockateil is almost right here! The hype is so bad people are dodging it like landmines! It's insane how seriously people take the spoiler/spoiler free thing.

People: It's a film! I respect that people wanna stay spoiler free, I truly do. But if u find out something small, it aint that big a deal! Life will still go on, and u will still have lots of surprises in the film! Don't go into a meltdown over it!

Sorry, I just have felt the need to say that for awhile. The way people get genuinely upset about a spoiler here or there really amazes me sometimes....
  13. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's not that I care about what clothes Anakin is wearing, or what colour the sunset on Corcuscant will be.

But the spoiler that I heard is apparently something from one of the trailers.

It was about Anakin fighting with 2 sabers. Which to me, is pretty much the equivalent of Maul igniting the second balde on his saber. It's "unorthodox". And whilst the fight will still be cool, but knowing that bit of information ahead of time is a big difference to finding out while I'm watching the movie.

I know it sounds like a silly idea. It is. But, I mean, the spoiler-free path is the straight and narrow. It's tricky to stay on, and easy to fall off. (Indeed, I can draw numerous comparisons here.) And to come so far - less than a month to go now - and to learn *the* spoiler I was avoiding... Should I have even bothered? I've now missed out on all those possible spoiler conversations, scouring the shops for all that is ep2 related... etc.

You know, it's kinda funny really. It's the first Anakin-related spoiler I've heard as well. And I haven't even heard anything about Padmé. For a movie that's a "love story" there sure seems to be a much larger focus on the action :D

So, anyway. I'll probably end up coming to meets and hanging out here on the boards. :)
  14. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I respect your opinion, Craig...but to some people it IS important. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If I want to hype a movie up in my own mind because I think it'll make me enjoy it more, then I should be allowed to, without people telling me its silly. I have every right to it.

Other people may not agree, but I'm allowed that right.

//this rant has been brought to you by the sheer number of people who have told me not to hype myself up for 'just a movie'. I am SO with Ki on this one. :)
  15. Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I have to agree with Scream here, I don't know why some people would be avoiding things like the trailers. You can say something in some of these forums about a tiny tidbit that was in one of the trailers and whammo! everyone jumps down your throat.

Trailers are part of the hype - enjoy them. They give away practically nothing but the general idea of what the film is about.

Personally, I've been a spoiler-nut ever since I received copies of the storyboards.
    I don't post in the JC spoiler forum anymore but I still lurk there.
  16. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I think its a case of personal choice. Just because someone doesn't agree with something, doesn't mean they should be allowed to put it down in front of people who do. :)
  17. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
    I wasnt putting it down! I was saying that the way people get so vehemontly upset over a movie spoiler is crazy!

Lindas brother accidentally told her a large spoiler from the end of the film. Now yeah it's kind of annoying but Linda was PISSED! She was FURIOUS! And I've seen other people get REALLY upset or angry becuase they find out a spoiler for a FILM!

I mean hell I would be annoyed if soemone told me the ending of a film with a twist like the 6th sense. And i can understand not wanting to know the end of a film, I truly can.

But to bring yourself into either a rage or burst into tears or something over a film boggles my mind. Im sorry!
  18. Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus

star 5
    I said I understood and respected that.

However, TO ME, that would be a big deal. That's just what it is TO ME. And apparently while I'm not in the majority, I'm not alone.

All I'm saying is that everyones opinions here are all well and good, but when you say just like "ITS JUST A FILM", TO ME, you seem to be saying that something I consider important in this exact period of my life, isn't.

And that's what I'm protesting.

I'm advocating EVERYONES opinions being allowed to be heard, without people being made to feel as though they're silly for wanting to make a big deal over JUST A FILM.
  19. legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

20. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
  21. Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I could understand why you'd be narky if someone told you the ending, like "Didya know Vader is Luke's old man?".

But trailers? Missing the trailers is missing the hype and something very cool.
  22. Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I agree with Scream. In fact I'm starting to find him strangley attractive..... :p

My 2c (and I'm spoiler free) is that:

1) It is a film. An especially good film named Star Wars.

2) There is suffering, starvation and war across the majority of this world. A huge percentage of people will never be able to read, let alone see a movie.

3) point 1) pales in signifigance when taking point 2) into consideration.

I believe that is what Scream meant, and I agree with him.

At the mini-meet some people looked at spoilery things and the others who didn't want to be spoiled went to Borders. No one really cared and I even remember Slavey yelling at us not to look at a spoiler book that he was looking at !!

The whole premise and idea of Star Wars is that some people have it worse than others and people need to respect other people's choices. There are a myriad of scenes that prove that. (Imagine if you were in love with your sister and found out your Dad was an evil dictator....)

End of sermon. Go in peace with your God.
  23. Teknobabel Jedi Master

star 5
    Here i was thinking spoilers were anything that hadn't been disclosed by lfl as being released yet, i wouldn't call a trailer a spoiler, but when lfl releases 13 tv spots, that's something different, there's more content in 13 tv spots, 3 teasers, one trailer, 11 behind the scenes web doco's and one music video than the usual 1 teaser and 1 trailer, usually copied from the teaser.

As far as trailers go, i looked at any actor / actual production stuff but when they hit post production i stopped because i want the plot to be mostly a mystery when i see it for the first time
  24. Cockatiel Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Maybe maiden Lumpe's statement summed it up perfectly.

When The Phantom Menace came out, I wasn't on the net much, so I got my small doses and when it came out, then for those couple of days I got really excited and went to see it.

BUT with ATOC it's just been dragging on forever, from the trailer on the Ep 1 DVD to magazine snipets to episode 2 sneak preview figures to the real figures being released early and then pulled off shelves and released again etc etc and the film it's still nearly 2 weeks away! Argh!

I guess the best way to sum up AOTC hype is, it's not a race, it's a marathon, and I'm out of wind, and won't get my 2nd wind until near the end.

But that's just me, I'm burnt out.

The only glad thing is that you guys are going to do the world a great justice (you midnight people) for Australia.

It is your DUTY to brag to every American how good it is, even if it sucks. the object is for once to say "LOOK AUSTRALIA got something before you!".

Make them jealous ... all of them. ;)

25. The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight

star 5
    JediEnna:

lol Cockatiel. :)

Do I hear my name being taken in vain?

I like hype. I like the occasional trailer, magazine, photo shoot. What I don't like is the way major plot points are sometimes revealed through these things. It does annoy me, a lot. I didn't mind reading minor spoilers for Ep1, in fact I think it increased my excitement. But picking up the soundtrack, and having a friend shoot his mouth off (much like my brother), ruined it for me. The final battle scene was really flat for me because I already knew what was happening. And I'm not giving up work, trooping all the way over to Fox and spending my money just to feel flat at the end of a movie.

That is why I avoid most spoilers - it's an attempt to escape the major ones that ruin the moviegoing experience. And that is why I get really pissed off when all that goes down the drain. Hell, I might as well go read the script after all since that work has been wasted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.