main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I hate Battlegrounds

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by AlexJedi, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexJedi

AlexJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Argh brought it today. And im not impressed. I get the same impression as when I first got Force Commander. That Lucas arts had rushed this to get it out in the shops before they had thought about the little quirks in the game.

The main part I find so bloody annoying is when your trying to attact with a certain unit but you have other units close by and they feel the need to go running off to fight. Like attacking a turret with artilery and a mounted stormtrooper feels the need to go run and stand next to the turret and wait for the artilery to bomb him. Even when u move him back he stays for 5 seconds then goes running back again.

The far to complicated resource gathering is silly. I gave up on being Darth Vader in the mission where u have to attack the naval units then the air units & finally the army. I do not have half an hour to set up my workers build everything I need for it to be a basic functioning base because my base becomes overwheled by rebel forces.

Is there a need for so many buildings with so many complicated upgrades? The little poster that comes in the game is shocking to look at.

I was looking forward to this game, now I wish it was so much better.

2. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    MAC or PC ?

3. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    The main part I find so bloody annoying is when your trying to attact with a certain unit but you have other units close by and they feel the need to go running off to fight. Like attacking a turret with artilery and a mounted stormtrooper feels the need to go run and stand next to the turret and wait for the artilery to bomb him. Even when u move him back he stays for 5 seconds then goes running back again.

Try putting your units on Defensive stance. That will solve the problem.

And sorry if you don't like the legnth of the game, but that's how all RTSs are. And if you don't care for resource collection (you should, it's the strategy in the game), play a Death Match game instead.

4. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Don't like resource gathering? Willing to give GB a chance to redeem itself?

Cheat.

When ingame, hit enter and type
    -Forcecarbon
    -Forcenova
    -Forceore
    -Forcefood
    -Forcebuild
    -Simonsays

...then hit enter again.

Now tell me what ya think.

ql

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    It was very disappointing. Air units suck, and resource gathering is too much of a hastle.

6. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    For you people who don't like resource gathering.. you must have a very short attention span. Go back to your FPSs.

7. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Agreed - for all those critics who keep reviewing LEC's RTSs, they must have really short attention spans.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    For you people who don't like resource gathering

I have a problem with it too. So, the empire sends down a unit of troopers, who need to chop down trees to make new units.

Force Commander's BEST idea was the command point sytle of "resource gathering". The more buildings you owned, the more points you got for allocating to new buildings, weapons & troops.

9. BARA-DAM

BARA-DAM Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2001
    I hate this game for a different reason. It is a clone for Age of Empires 2. I would love it if it was the clone of HOMEWORLD.

10. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    they need to mash AOK with SC:broodwars, with a large hammer

11. AlexJedi

Mar 3, 2002
    It's not the length of the game that bothers me. I dont spend £30 on a game and want to have completed it in a weekend. It's the impossibility of gathering enough resources to build up an attack. By the time I have 5 stormtroopers to even try to defend with im surrounded and been attacked from every angle.

The reasource gathering is a great idea in this game. It's just not applied very well. Doing the training missions with the wookies was great I learned how to do all the gathering. In the game doing all that is useless there is not enough time to do all of that.

12. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    The resource gathering aspect of AoK and Battlegrounds is probably actually one of its strongest points. It's far and above the best resource model I've seen in any RTS game to date. It's not overly-simplistic like many RTS games, and it never comes to a screeching halt (like Total Annihilation). The complexity leads to the most diverse set of strategies of any RTS.

You just need to learn the 10-minute drill in resource gathering. Learn how to build more villagers (worker droids) rather than fewer. Learn how to hit Feudal Age (Tech Level 2) in 10 minutes in a random map game. Unlike most RTS games, AoK and Battlegrounds rely heavily on a consistently active economy -- so heavily that typically half your population or more should be filled with busy villagers (worker droids). This is a game that requires some patience and some learning time. You can't jump right in to it expecting to become an expert in a week or two.

Age of Kings is a fantastic game with a massive active fan base, almost 3 years after its release. If Battlegrounds would have better Zone support, it could gain the same kind of longevity.

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    The only RTS I've actually enjoyed is Red Alert 2. That's one of my favourite games of all time. Keep the rest.

14. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    "I hate this game for a different reason. It is a clone for Age of Empires 2. I would love it if it was the clone of HOMEWORLD.

Agree. Homeworld would be a much better engine to base a Star Wars RTS around.

15. AlexJedi

Mar 3, 2002
    The cheats are pathetic, when you do feel the need to just muck around and use them, you dont really want the other side to get the same effect as you do.

This is the type of gamer I am if I get stuck I just like to blitz through the level and get straight onto the next one. When I do the forcebuild cheat and found out my enemies had about 200 fighters I was appauled that a game would do this.

16. Evaders99

Evaders99 Jedi Youngling

Feb 25, 2002
    Homeworld? Its already being done.

http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/swfa/

Star Wars: New Rebellion
    mod for Homeworld

check it out!

17. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    You're just crap at the game.

18. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    "Homeworld? Its already being done.

http://www.tgu.org.uk/users/swfa/

Star Wars: New Rebellion
    mod for Homeworld

check it out!
    "

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I'm going right now.

19. Riley Man

Riley Man Jedi Master star 5

Dec 19, 1999
    There's also a Star Wars total conversion for Total Annihilation. It was fairly well done in terms of artistry and animation, but I'm not sure about game balance.

20. CrixMakin

Feb 24, 2002
    SWTA looks good to me. I'm off to buy Total Annihiliation just so I can D/L this.. Beats any official RTS by the look of it.

21. Captain-Atreides

Captain-Atreides Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2001
    yes GB is a weak game

22. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    GB should've been a mix between Force Commander (good command point system) and Empire Earth (good graphics, gameplay, and no screwed up camera like FC)

23. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I LEIK FOCOM'S CAMERA.

24. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    Force Commander's BEST idea was the command point sytle of "resource gathering". The more buildings you owned, the more points you got for allocating to new buildings, weapons & troops.

It was a good IDEA, but it certainly didn't work out very well. Gee, when I lose all my units to your attacking force, you get more points just to kill me even further?

To Riley Man you listen. You just need to work on improving your econ skills. More workers, and you'll do fine. The econ is the whole STRATEGY part of the game.

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It was a good IDEA, but it certainly didn't work out very well. Gee, when I lose all my units to your attacking force, you get more points just to kill me even further?

Like in a real battle, you mean? (not the "points system" as such, but the side taking tactical locations getting on top of the opposition).

Beats chopping down trees and killing animals to make new armoured transports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.