main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I Hate Boston Sports (And So Can You!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Admit it. You hate them. At least a little bit.

It wasn't enough for them to have the upstart football team that toppled the Greatest Show on Turf and turned that into a mini-dynasty. A mini-dynasty that started a new coaching tree (from an old coaching tree), created a new way to build a team, a new way to play the game, and new way to be introduced at the Super Bowl, and a new Golden Boy.

No, that wasn't enough.

They had to go out and (correctly) overcompensate for their biggest flaw and become what appears to be an unstoppable juggernaut on their path to their fourth Super Bowl this decade. Then waive their penalties in the face of the league as they got caught breaking some rules, and use that motivation to become, perhaps, an even more unstoppable juggernaut.

It still wasn't enough to satisfy Boston Fans.

They had to get the biggest comeback in the history of postseason play against their biggest rival. They had to come back from 0-3 in a best-of-seven series, and win the final two games at Yankee Stadium. Then sweep their opponent in the World Series. Then break the hearts of fans in another long-suffering city a few years later and sweep their World Series opponent again.

Then they had to have movie after movie and book after book about the experience. They had to expand around the nation, and overwhelm all other fans to the point of contempt previously only known for Duke, Notre Dame, and Yankee fans.

And it still wasn't enough.

They had to resurrect a listless franchise that had been mired in mediocrity for years through a couple of brilliant (on their end) trades. They had to assemble a big three in basketball that, if they stay healthy, should have no problem steamrolling their way to at least a Conference Finals appearance.

And then we get subjected to a month straight of Sports Illustrated covers featuring these teams. And a college team that has a good season, a Heisman candidate, and a #2 ranking for part of the year. They've got two of the best journalists in sports (Peter King and Bill Simmons) on their bandwagon.

I hate Boston Sports. I hope for injuries to Brady, Moss, Garnett, Allen, Ramirez, Ortiz, Papelbon, Becket, etc.

I hope for a 16-1 season for the Patriots, ending in a humiliating playoff loss, to be followed by an off-season labeling their team the biggest postseason choke ever (yes, surpassing the 2004 Yankees).

I hope that in the playoffs the one-man team (LeBron) defeats the Big Three in humiliating fashion, and LeBron posterizes each of the Big Three, each in their own defining moment.

Grrr. I hate Boston Sports.

At least their hockey team sucks (at least I think it does). But seeing as they are Boston, I'm sure they'll end up acquiring Crosby pretty soon.

I hate Boston Sports. And so can you.

Are you with me?

TX-20 and appleseed like this.
  2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    You know I want to hate Boston sports, I really do. But I just don't. I just can't muster up enough anger toward them. I rooted for the Red Sox this year, I'm indifferent to he Celtics (just not a huge NBA fan, mostly a casual Bucks fan), and I'm at a point where I hope the Pats go 18-0 into the Super Bowl so the Packers can get the distinction of beating them then. [face_whistling] But I don't hate them.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Inty you have regained status as my favorite Mod.

I HATE THE PATS!!!!!!!!

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I agree with everything you said Inty... except for the Celtics. I can't hate the Celtics just for the fact that I've been a fan of Garnett's and Allen's for a loooooong time. I'm just happy that they're finally on a team with good players.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    In addition to everything I said in the opening post, Tom Brady also effectively knocked two of my teams out of it in fantasy leagues yesterday by having a non-Brady-like day.

:mad:

Jut another reason to hate ...

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll agree with the Pats, but I have nothing against the Celtics and, out of all the AL teams I'd have to go with the Red Sox and Indians... plus I like Boston in general.

But I was so desperately hoping that the Pats would lose to a Miami team that would get their only win against the Pats... and, of course, a first round embarrassment for the Pats.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    I don't really care about basketball, I'm apathetic towards the Sox and enjoy lol'ing @ the Bruins.

But I, too, hate the Pats. :mad:

8. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I can't stand the Patriots. I used to like them, when they were the underdogs that first year in the Super Bowl, but now they are detestable. And don't even get me started on the Red Sox.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    No, see, that's the point of this thread. Not to hold back, but to make use of your feelings. Let your anger flow. Tell us (in TOS-friendly terms, of course) how you really feel about the Red Sox.

10. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    Okay...well pretty much everything will be summed up in this phrase: I'm a Yankees fan. :p Most of my gripes will sound biased as a result, but only for a few reasons. I really don't get to watch too many Yankees games anymore. :(

Seriously though, I detest the Red Sox for the way they are when they play the Yankees, how there's almost always a dugout clearing brawl. Back during the postseason a few years ago, when then-Yankees coach Don Zimmer was thrown to the ground by one of their players...I don't care if he was a Yankees coach, he's an old man(not being disrespectful, I love Zim to death) and to attack someone much older than you is not only childish, it's disrespectful and the player(might have been Pedro Martinez, can't remember) should've been thrown out of the game. That incident is what really caused me to hate the Red Sox.

I also can't stand the attitudes they've had after winning the World Series. Whoopie. So you won two World Series...that does not make you a dynasty, it just means you played better than everyone else. When you do like the Yankees did in the late 90s, winning titles back to back(96, 98-00) then you will be a dynasty.

In addition: the Red Sox players. They always look so dirty and gungy. Seriously, would it kill them to get a haircut and have well groomed facial hair during the season(not necessarily clean shaven, but not Grizzly Adams either)? No, it would not. It's just hair.

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, it was Pedro that threw Zimmer down... but I wouldn't go so far as to say Pedro attacked him. In fact, it's the other way around. Zimmer came charging at Pedro and Pedro defended himself. What was he supposed to do? Put his hand on Zimmer's head while Zimmer swung and missed at him?

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    I hate Boston, I hate the entire Northern Media circus and all teams involved.

However, I love the Patriots this year, I want them to go undefeated, embarrass Miami this week, and shut Don Shula up for ever, as well as all the other loudmouth has-beens from the 72 Dolphins. After that is accomplished, I'll once again go back to hating the Pats.

13. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    That is true(I went back and looked it up for curiosity's sake), but throwing someone to the ground? Still kind of a bit much, I think. He could've easily gotten out of the way or something.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    *is from Boston*

Thanks, jerks.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Thrawn1786

Feb 8, 2004
    Awwww, Prenn....you're still my friend! [:D] [:D]

16. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I hate the Red Sox beyond belief. I really hate the state of Massachusetts. They fueled the fite to start the civil war

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm really not a Boston hater. It's nice to see the Celtics possibly approaching what was their former glory. I like the Sox a hell of a lot more than most other teams in baseball. The Patriots, while I root against them most of the time, I have to admit they're an impressive and fun team to watch, as well as having several players I admire. I can't remember the last time I even saw the Bruins play in a game, so I'm pretty neutral on them.

That being said, two words can sum up my disdain for New England sports in general........Bill Belichick.

He's an arrogant, pompous ass, and doesn't care whether anyone else knows it. Something about that just rubs me the wrong way.

Plus, I have friends that are from, and support Boston, and I just like to give them **** about their teams.

I think I may be on way to being a padawan Boston sports hater. :)

However, I'm a a little conflicted because the Pixies and the Dropkick Murphys are from Boston. Can I still be a fan of Boston's music scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALH9afb4r2s

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    There's no requirement to hate all things Boston. Only the sports there. And not even all of them. Just as long as at least something on their sports scene puts a passioned hatred into your heart, you're good.

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    At last we will revel ourselves, at last we'll have revenge?

20. tulakhordpwns

tulakhordpwns Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2007
    I don't hate all Boston Sports teams. Just the Patriots.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The Bruins suck.

22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Inty, you should make a poll out of this. Vote for your most hated Boston team. I'm sure that the Patriots would win, but the Red Sox might be close. And really, seriously, though, what would people say if Cleveland won a World Series or any title for that matter. That they got lucky? That they don't deserve it? That it was because of Lebron only?

It seems to not matter which team is winning, if it isn't the team your rooting for, then obviously you are going to hate the other team. That is the way that sports in general are, you are either rooting for your hometown team or your favorite player, etc. When things don't go well (ask Cubs fans) don't you think that they want that magical year. Of course they do. But, the way sports are nowadays, it is more about what a certain marquee player does then how the team does. It is no longer a day of doing things for the "team" only for "me".

That is why that sports are so seriously out of whack with the rest of society. Who wouldn't want to make millions of dollars doing something fun for but a few hours a day for around half a year getting off easily for doing "illegal" activities.

There's multiple things to "hate" about sports it seems. Winning (and running up the score) obviously makes the Patriots the most hated team right now. But, what happens in a few years when some other team maybe starts to do the same thing. Will you then "hate" them unless its the Browns?

End of rant.

23. darthtenbiscuits

darthtenbiscuits Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 7, 2001
    I hate the Patriots and their cheater coach. The entire organization has no class.

The Red Sox are okay, I guess. I certainly prefer them the the Yankees. I'm more of an Indians fan when it comes to American League baseball.

I do, however, have a grudge against Boston College's football team for beating Notre Dame back in 1993 and ruining their shot at a title. It was the Irish's own fault for understimating them after a historic win against Florida State, but oh well. :p

I don't care about the Bruins or any other NHL one way or the other.

While we're on the subject of Boston sports, though, I would really like to know how the Celtic's name got to be mispronounced Seltics instead of the correct Keltics. :confused:

24. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I don't hate the Pats, I hate how the NFL has covered up for them. Why were the tapes used by the Pats to cheat, destroyed. We don't know which games the cheated in, which were probably most.

I don't hate the Red Sox, just Curt Schilling. He is a loud mouth moron. Great pitcher though:p

I actually like the Celtics. They have had the worst luck, and the worst tragedies in the NBA. What if Reggie Lewis and Len Bias got to play together?

25. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Hate to disagree with you, but if I can recall, it was the Confederacy who started things by standing still in time. Slavery anyone?

But yeah, I abhor Boston athletics. Every single aspect.