main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena I Hate Boston Sports (And So Can You!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

The Dodgers needed a 3rd baseman.........................and I needed someone on the team with a sick beard.:D:p

L.A. > Boston

2. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    But...but he was one of "my" guys :( I hate you, Tunick.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    [face_plain]

Kerry Wood

*sigh*

Edit: And despite HGHafner and Peralta's attempts to screw it up, the Tribe gets a two-run single with two outs in the 9th to have BOTH teams blow a lead and get a split from the Red Sox. :D

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    BIG BABY:mad:

L.A. > Boston

5. APOLLO608

APOLLO608 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2010
    [face_laugh]

IMO, a completely undervalued player. Varajao plays better defense than Baby but you get basically the same amount of energy and a better offensive player w/ Baby. Varajao also has a much larger question. I can't believe the Cavs payed him that much.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Upping, so we have another place to complain about the Red Sox and their player acquisitions.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Good call, Inty.

The BoSox really can't complain about the Yankee payroll anymore. Not that they really could before.

8. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Theirs is still bigger. [face_not_talking]

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That doesn't matter anymore. A Red Sox fan these days complaining about the Yankees is like 2 Beverly Hills housewives complaining about who is more vain.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, a Boston Red Sox fan complaining that the Yankees spend too much money would be like a Cleveland Indians fan complaining that the Pirates have too good of a management team.

[face_plain]

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_laugh]

This is something that I really don't like about MLB...I wish they'd come up with a feasible salary cap/floor system to promote parity.

12. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Buster Olney of ESPN is in favor of returning to the two-division format, where the top four teams (or top five, if they expand the playoffs) in each league go to the playoffs, regardless of what division they're in. I like that idea.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I think that's a bad idea. You would have teams in divisions that don't make sense, ala all those years the Braves were in the N.L. West.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The Braves were in the West because of Milwaukee. That is, because the Braves had been in Milwaukee. Reshuffling the divisions now could avoid that stuff (eastern half of the teams over here, western half over there)... though with that said I'd still favor leaving it the way it is right now.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I thought Olney's proposal was to get rid of divisions altogether? Have the American League and the National League. The top five teams in each league get into the playoffs. The fourth and fifth play a play-in 3-game series, the winner taking on the top seed. The second seed-hosts the third-seed. Winners of those advance to the ALCS.

I don't like it.

I can list five big markets that if the owners started spending money wisely could just make a top-five that would only let someone through in random years. Every year in the AL, we'd have Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Angels, and Rangers. Just shuffle the order and see which one is best built for post season. Whooooo. Smell the excitement.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I haven't read Olney's article or anything on it... but I can't say I'd be in favor of that, either.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    article

18. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    But then there's less of the late-season blowups that cost you a division race. :p

All things considered, baseball was a bit more localized in those days. There weren't as many teams dotted around the country as there are now, which would lead to more travelling cross-country to play more games because you don't have 3 or 4 divisional rivals to play half of your schedule against in that kind of format. At least those teams are sorta in your general area, and cut down on travel time.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, but it also results in (for example) the Braves playing the Marlins a ridiculous number of times per year (18-19 I think?). I wouldn't mind seeing a few fewer divisional games and a few more games between divisions. Heck, I wouldn't mind extending inter-league play by a couple series if it got the divisional games to something a bit more reasonable.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't like Olney's idea, but I do like R...J's idea of less games against divisional opponents. You should play each divisional opponent, maybe 16 times, throughout the season.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Stinking Bruins. [face_plain]

22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Also the Patriots.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Marcus, I thought that went without saying. :confused: :p

24. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I came here hoping to see this on page 1.
    Nice to see a NY team bounce a Boston team.

25. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Apparently the Patriots have problems being heavy favorites in the postseason over a New York team.